Used 2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-450 Super Duty model:

Defective 6.4L Engine life expectancy = 100,000
By Laura

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My husband & I were Ford truck "believers" for many years until 2016! From our past experience, we expected our 2008 F450 diesel (with the 6.4L engine), to take us into retirement and beyond until the engine blew up this year, with just over 100,000 miles! $18,455.66 later (this doesn't count the $7600 repair one year ago), and a lousy 2 year warranty on the new (same defective engine), we found out that this engine is "expected" to fail around 100,000 miles making it the worst engine in the Ford truck line. (Our 1999 F350 is still on the road at 250,000+ miles!) I tried to contact Ford's customer service (which is really their customer dis-service as the one answering the phone only has a first name and no boss to appeal to). My expectation was to get a reasonable 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the new engine instead of a crappy 2 year warranty (which is equivalent to a 30,000 mile warranty). The mechanics told us they could bullet proof the replacement engine, after the 2 year warranty expired, for about $8000! My question is, why isn't the replacement engine "bullet proofed" already? What was once a great company with integrity has been replaced by fraud and failure. I am embarrassed to be driving a Ford after my humble retirement account has been robbed of $20,000.

Garbage Truck!
By John

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This truck is a piece of crap! Ford does not want to help with customer care. In 29,000 miles I've replaced 3 radiators, 1 secondary cooling system, left rear axle seal, Turbo pick up tube, 2 power steering pumps and a crank seal!
DO NOT BUY this truck! Burn it and walk away..........

Great truck except for the engine. Got rid of it!!
By Dee Danner

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After having multiple check engine lights come on while driving on the Interstate, I've had it. Contacted Premier Diesel and Auto in Mansfield TX who told me this 6.4 engine is horrible. They advised me to sell or trade it. The engine was made by International not Ford. They said the engines just "blow up" and they have multiple trucks sitting on their property that need new 6.4 engines. Just bought the truck used in February and having to take a loss to trade it in. Wish I knew then what I know now.

Another one bites the dust
By seehorse

I bought it in Texas thanks to a blown head gasket on my 05 F350 that left me stranded (5th time) and I had to get my 40' trailer to NM by the next day.
Since the repair would have been a 3 day event I bought the 08 F450 off the dealer's lot.

At first all was well, the truck pulled better than the 350 and it ran perfectly.
It was trouble free for the first 4 years I owned it aside from it's abysmal fuel efficiency (6 MPG towing, the older 350 averaged around 10 with the same trailer).

Then, things started to happen.
A sensor crippled the truck.
Repair.
A turbo blew. Repair. Oil leak. Repair. DPE failure leading to blown engine.
Currently broken, 66k and 10 days out of warranty.

Pulls well and the interior is quite nice. By the way, the drop down menu doesn't offer the option but the truck's a 4WD Long Bed with the Auto Tranny.

How about an engine that works? After 4 Ford SuperDuty trucks with only one living past 75k miles I'm through with Ford. Unfortunate, as my local dealer is excellent and has stood by me time after time fighting Ford to pay for repairs. Still, I think I'm buying a Ram once the 450 is running again... I'll never trust that Ford on another cross country trip.

Piece of junk Stay away dont buy
By snowkartracer

Purchased truck early 07 when first came out I know have 128k miles . truck has spent a lot of time at dealer . many items broke main things are rear end . rear springs. trailer wiring .engine blew @ 106 k .3 radiators. air conditioner panel. replaced
coolant
hoses. replaced temp stat.
new turbo and hoses
replaced. many other little stuff . Its always fighting with ford they are not real customer helpful there never wanting to stand up to there piece of junk
I will never purchase ford again

Stay away don't buy