Used 1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

First Ford & Best truck yet
By Denny

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Got my 97 Ford F-150 regular cab short bed in on trade and was hesitant about it because ive never owned a Ford before (CHEVY GUY) but im so glad i did because its been the best truck ive had yet..i drive it way over 100 miles a day to and from work and its never broken down or left me stranded..the triton 4.6l v8 is strong and tough, it uses a little gas while passing everything on the hwy going 80mph but once im home I drive it easy and gets 20mpg easy..had 169,000 when i got it but I drive it everyday and between oil changes it uses a half quart of mobile 1 full synthetic oil and thats not bad for a 97 model with high mileage..i never do nothing to it other than put gas in it and it goes and goes, it has no rust, new interior, remote control stereo system with amp and speaker box and bedliner with a toolbox and I love it..like I said, its bullet proof, the motor and tranny is strong and if it ever tears up on me I couldn't complain because ive only got $1500 in it and it's seen its fair share of work and I'll never put another Ford down again...theres good ones and bad ones in all of them, mostly depends on how theyre kept up and how theyre treated so if your buying one be sure to find out as much as possible from previous owners because I can tell u everything about mine..all I can say is if your thinking of getting one and it's been kept up maintenance wise you can't go wrong..i love mine and plan on keeping it

)ver all GREAT TRUCK
By Scott

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Very fuel effishent and does what it should do for a truck of this size, and will even do what it shoud'nt beable to do. I have polled a trailer with 4000lbs of wood with another 1000lbs of wood in the back and have towed it 50mi with alot of up hill and it did slow on the hills but for the amount of weight I was moveing it does awsome and it has never let me down yet.

4.2 engine a bust
By Disappointed

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this vehicle not even a yr ago, had been driving Fords for over 20 yrs with my job. But will never again purchase a Ford product until they make a engine that is reliable again. What a disappointment. Ford, you can do better or else stand by your product. 4.2 liter engine a bust.

Engine

Never Again. Ever.
By RandallFord

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this new off the lot. I was so proud to be a Ford man like my daddy before me. This truck is such poor quality that you might think it was just a lemon. Sadly, it is all just phenomenally substandard engineering. In the first few years, things seemed good. But at 50k miles the engine began to go south. By 75000 miles, it began drinking my coolant. The dealership could identify no problems. At 102,000 miles the engine blew up. Turns out it honestly was poor design. In a moment of candor, a mechanic said I was lucky I got 100,000 miles. Problems: transmission, breaks, clutch, radiator, electronics, and finally engine.

The indentations in the bed to create double stacks for hauling. Not practical, but neat. Comfy seats.

Hire new engineers. Take some hints from other makers whose engines last 200k+

Unreliable after year 5
By cougar10

1997 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

My family purchased this truck new for my brother. My brother didn't like it so my dad drove it and when I got my license I inherited this pile of junk (it was 10 years old). When i first started driving it it was ok but lately its been making sudden jerks and noises. After i drive it for a little bit the motor keeps on making noise. The temperature gauge has caused it to die. I have to hit the tailgate to open it. My family has only had Chevys before this and we are all going back to Chevys. Built Ford Tough is a big understatement. I can't wait to get something nicer.

Well the only thing is the interior holds up decently over many years.

Well the newer ones look ok but make sure they are reliable for many years because many people like to keep their vehicles for long amounts of time.