In response to COVID-19, many dealers are offering at-home delivery.
and ask for details.

2020 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $4,789
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

1,100 Miles on Platinum

Geronimo Jenkins, 08/12/2019
Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

Extremely pleased with this car. Features: LANE CENTERING with adaptive cruise. This car basically takes me for a ride while on the highway. It frees you up to really scan your surroundings while driving and anticipate what other drivers are doing. Definitely spec it with the Copilot 360 Assist PLUS with whichever trim you choose if drive on interstates. This feature is not available on the Durango which stopped me from considering it. Explorer with these features is very relaxing to drive. Park assist is good for parallel, useless for perpendicular parking. 360 camera implementation is subpar with upgraded 10.1 screen. If you don’t value massage seats or the upgraded stereo (I do) then skip the technology package with the big screen as the implementation is much better in the smaller screen. Performance: After test driving all trim levels of the explorer to see if I could get away with a 4 cyl model, I ultimately decided that the low RPM torque available in the twin turbo model was a necessity for my style of driving. It’s ability to waft from a low rpm to merge onto a highway is excellent. Steering feel is the best of any crossover/suv I’ve ever driven. Great waiting and appropriate steering ratio. I find body roll to be minimal. 365 horsepower is a lot, and the 10 speed allows you to use all of it instantaneously if you put your foot down. I’d like the ST tune, and I would have purchased it if it had an optional adaptive suspension. Luxury: with the hollow barrier between the engine and the acoustic glass all around in Platinum model it feels like a Mercedes acoustically. Stereo sounds excellent, bass oriented, but very tight with no rattling. Leather is everywhere in platinum, passengers are shocked that it’s a Ford when they get inside. The seats are supremely comfortable. Practicality: captains chairs are a hit. Everyone notices how plush the armrests are and plentiful legroom. Auto tailgate is nice, and the hidden cubby underneath to keep things hidden is great. Dislikes: optimization of large screen and Apple CarPlay. Seats have developed a crease already in the leather, probably won’t look great after a few years. Overall: the Platinum is a great choice if you want a more modestly styled luxurious cruiser with excess power without the “racy” features of the ST like piped in exhaust sounds. I found it more agile and better looking than the Durango. 59k for an American Crossover is steep, but to get an equivalently equipped German SUV is over 70k, and much more if you want a usable third row from some brands. For a cheaper alternative, I recommend getting the Kia Telluride if you don’t value driving dynamics. The new Explorer is a great driving three row crossover that is supremely comfortable.

THIS SUV IS AWESOME....EXCEPT

Rob Ortiz, 10/26/2019
Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

I only have 200 miles on my fully loaded Platinum model, but I already have a few concerns. First let me say that the safety features on this Explorer are incredible and work flawlessly. I was backing out of my garage and suddenly it braked to an immediate halt. My neighbors cat was walking by, it works. Ok, the few complaints. I'm not crazy about the 10.1" screen, would of preferred the 8" screen. But at the time, inventory was limited due to factory issues, so I really couldn't hand pick my options or color. So being impatient, I settled for magnetic with the technology package. I don't need massaging seats either. Anyway, the interior is very nice, but the dash material is rather rough, so wiping it down even with a microfiber cloth seems to scratch it. That's probably why they recommend vacuuming it. What? I may have to invest in a dash cover. Really? Another issue is noises. I realize when you open the door, the noises you hear are waking up all the systems including the brakes. What I don't like, is after I park in the garage, 10 minutes latter things are still activated, making noises. No, it's not the exhaust cooling down. Also, this vehicle has clunking type noise in the suspension at low speeds. When ever I buy a new vehicle, I make sure I drive it around for a few weeks with the entertainment system off. I want to find out what is normal, and what is not. As a lifetime Auto/Truck mechanic, I can tell you, this vehicle makes noises that are not normal. Time will tell. I'm still in the break-in stage. I Love the way this vehicle handles. Has a lot of power, and I can't wait to tow my boat behind it.

Wouldn’t start 3 times within first month!

Jacklyn Glenn, 01/20/2020
Limited 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

I bought A 2020 Ford Explorer on Saturday December 21st. On Monday the 23rd it wouldn’t start. After 2 hours it decides to start and I took it to the dealership. They couldn’t duplicate the issue and sent me back home. It happened again on January 2nd. I was stranded in a parking lot with my 7 and 9 year old and a car full of groceries. I called to have it towed back to the dealer. By the time the tow truck arrived 2 hours later it cranked. I took it back to the dealer and they kept it for 3 days. They still couldn’t identify the problem. On the morning of January 16th when I was about to take my kids to school it would t crank again. I called a tow truck and they towed it to the dealer. Now that I have a video on social media Ford Motor Company is appearing concerned. They think the body control module needed reconfiguring. After 5 days they still have my car because they know if this happens againI don’t want it back. I want my money back and I’ll go to Nissan or Toyota for a 3rd two vehicle. Find my video on the Ford Motor Company Facebook page.

System Software Glitches

Hopeful 2020 Platinum Owner, 03/23/2020
Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

This vehicle was purchased to meet specific requirements both functional and geographic. Competition was Mercedes. I hope to be happy but am now a bit worried. Car is comfortable and fun to drive. Self parking works well. Does an adequate job of lane centering and adaptive cruise control. The problem is there seemed to be software glitches and Ford Corporate does not seem to support the dealership in resolving them. The challenges are described below and the hopeful fix which was a software update. Challenges 1. System Fault for Auto Hold. All of sudden the Auto Hold turns off. When I tried to turn it on a warning light displayed that said Auto Hold System Fault. This was an erratic fault and was difficult to predicatively reproduce. The dealer couldn't reproduce it after the first couple of visits so I shot a video and pics and sent to them. They accepted the car for service and for a number of days, drove it but still couldn't reproduce the fault....then called and said suddenly something did not work when they were driving it and they were going to work with Ford to figure it out. Ford was not efficient or helpful. Eventually I think they did a software update. Hopefully it is fixed. This could be a safety issue! I contacted Ford using the app and have not heard back. There is a something not correct with Ford support when both the dealer and I can't receive reasonable service. 2. Suddenly the display in the car locks up when driving. Didn't touch a thing....just locks. Occasionally have to turn the car on and off to reset and it comes back...... go figure. Again hope the software update fixes this. My local dealer, after some prodding has been wonderful. Loaner car, serious effort to diagnose and constant updates. Ford Company......not so good. Finally I don't know why Apple Car Play doesn't work with Bluetooth. I knew this when purchasing...but really can't Ford do better. Have the car back now, intend to drive and hope all is good.

Much improved

Karen B, 08/01/2019
XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

I have an XLT with the 202A package. It now has just over 1k miles on it. It handles very well with improved visibility (over the 2015 I had). The cabin is comfortable with easy controls. The 2nd row captain seats are nice, and it's easier to pass thru to the 3rd row. Nobody misses the bench seat. There's enough leg room and the front seems roomier. The new screen is easy to work your way thru the menus. The 2.3l 1-4 Ecoboost gets the job done. Surprised at that one, after having only V6 engines for nearly 20 years. It's a beautiful vehicle that's fun to drive.

12345...12