Used 2018 FIAT 124 Spider Convertible Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used 124 Spider for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A Go-Kart for Grow-ups!

M. Edwards, 03/31/2018
Classica 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I came close to buying another MX-5. It's been a few years since my last one and I'm not getting any younger. But after the test drive, I decided to test-drive a Spider at the dealer down the road. To me, it was more refined, inside and out. The ride felt more comfortable as well, and the steering was quick and true. When you gave it the gas and the turbo kicks in, it really gives you a thrill. I'm going on 3,000 miles, with my Classica, and it's still a joy to throw the top down and go for a spin (trouble-free). It's like a go-kart for grown-ups, with a rocket on the back! Update at 8500 miles. Absolutely perfect! Getting right at 31 mph with mostly city driving. Put new Autoricambi exhaust on it because it was so quiet I kept forgetting to change gears. The new muffler-delete pipes are great! Great balls of fun!

Best car I ever owned

J. L. Pifco, 02/18/2018
Lusso 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2018 Spider Luzzo with all the options. It is the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned and this includes 2 Corvettes, a Triumph, and numerous non-sports cars. It would run circles around the 1980 or the 1978 Corvettes I had. The quality appears excellent as I haven't found a single defect. Very comfortable seating, however very tall or obese folks would not fit. The Bose radio system sound great.

Test drove this and an Mazda MX5

Brian, 03/19/2018
Classica 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I test drove both the Fiat and the Miata. The Miata delivers its power in a more linear fashion. The Fiat needs to get up in the Revs before it really goes. So, it feels slower off the line. A little more like a Honda S2000. So it is really down to which one appeals to you more. I would rate the Fiat at a 4 and the Mazda at a 4.5 from an everyday driving standpoint. However, I am considering this purchase for weekend pleasure drives and I find the Fiat is more exciting to me. I like the bit of quirkiness that it has over the Miata. To me this gives the Fiat a bit more excitement. If you are deciding between the Mazda and the Fiat you really need to spend some drive time in both. The interior is similar in most ways. It's really about do you fit and are you comfortable enough to enjoy the car. Also, I would mention that the edmunds review of the Fiat is a 3 and the Mazda a 4.5. This seems to me to be because of different editors approach to the car and because the Fiat review, I believe, is for the automatic which I agree is not very good with this engine. If you want an auto the Mazda is the better choice. I took a brief drive of each car with the auto but for me the manual is the way to go. I would recommend reading each edmunds review with the mindset that it applies to both cars outside of the engine. I am disappointed that Edmunds editors seem to have written these reviews in a vacuum ignoring the relation of the cars to each other.

Edmund's Bias is Showing.

Tazilon, 12/29/2018
Classica 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

UPDATED AFTER 24 MONTHS AND 25,000 MILES OF OWNERSHIP: Edmund's own reviewers praise the Miata MX-5 but take the Fiat 124 Spider to task for noise, cargo space, and comfort. The truth is, the Spider is better at dampening noise, has a slightly larger trunk than the Miata, and has the exact same headroom and legroom as the MX-5 and more headroom than the MX-5 RF. The MX-5 has better low end acceleration, but the Spider has better at speed. I can't speak for the automatic 124s but the manual tranny is more than adequate at low end; it just isn't quite as fast off the line as a MX-5. And once you spin the turbo up, the thing leaps from gear to gear in an exhilarating rush. Roadsters are definitely not for everyone; they wrap around your body like a glove and rank only slightly higher than a tricycle on a utilitarian scale, but man, are they FUN to drive. The 124 Spider captures the joy of driving well. It gives you excellent feedback, handles well, has a great little shifter, and looks awesome to boot. How well do they handle? fastestlaps rates the Abarth at 1.10g on the skidpad - tied with cars like the Ferrari P488 Pista and Lambo Aventador. The Classica and Lusso are rated at 1.09g, tied with some models of the Porsche 911 and McLaren 720S! The drop top goes up and down easily. And because it is no where near as common as a Miata (or any other roadster), it gets looks and comments everywhere we go. I highly recommend this car for anyone looking to experience the true joy of driving. UPDATE: After 24 months of ownership and 25,000 miles, I stand by everything above. The car still gets comments constantly, and continually provides driving smiles. "A smile a minute, whenever you're in it!" For you taller people, a friend in a 124 Car Club is 6'3" and fits inside. UPDATE: We have now owned our 124 for slightly over a year and have put slightly over 12,000 fun filled miles on it, including several weekend getaways. We have had 0 maintenance issues with the car. It has been a blast to own and drive. It constantly gets remarks from passersby. If you are in the market for a small, fun to drive car, I can not recommend the 124 Spider enough. UPDATE: After 19 months of ownership and 18,000 miles: We have had ZERO issues with the car. Well, not exactly true as we still sometimes struggle to find plausible reasons to take it out for yet another drive every day. PRO TIP: If you "accidently" forget something at the store when you go, you get to go again - and take the long way, too. Seriously though, the 124 Spider is one of the most under-rated car values in the US marketplace today.

Fun, fun, fun!

Virginia, 01/18/2019
Lusso 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am a large size person, average height and I fit very well. My son and brother are 6' and 6'3", both ride top up just fine. I look for any excuse to take my car out for a spin. I was looking for acceleration. It gets you passed other vehicles easily and does feel like you are going faster than you actually are. Getting in and out of the car is much easier with door wide open, so consider where you park. I average 31-32 mpg on 89 or 91 fuel. Five full bags of groceries fit in the trunk.