Used 2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Intrepid for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Intrepid---241,000 miles--

joyce27, 08/08/2011

Well, I have decided after driving my 2001 Intrepid for 241,00 miles, it warranted a review for consumers. I did not have any mechanical issues with the car until it reached the 170,000 mark. I have always maintained the normal with the required oil changes, etc. At the 100,000 mark...one of the cooling fans quit working..timing built, alternater replaced,...I loved my Intrepid;s solid performance and was not ready to purchase a different automobile, decided to make the necessary mechanical repairs. To my pleasant surprise my Intrepid is reached 241,000 miles!!!

Best Car Ever!! 2014 and Still Going Strong 232000 miles

uniquelylisa, 06/28/2014

I bought this car in 2008 for only $1400 because it had 150,000 miles. In 6 years I have had to go only regular maintenance - oil, tires, plugs, breaks oh and 1 tire rod. It's so much fun to drive but the shop I take it to says I have to change the timing belt they are concerned it has soo many miles. Honestly, I know they are right and it should be done. Great Car in fact the best car I have ever bought and I've had only new cars up to the day I bought it...it was suppose to be an interim car til I decided what next. 6 years later I still Love IT

my second Dodge

patnwaga, 03/03/2002

I am on my second Intrepid. I went for the R/T Motorsports edition this time and am totally pleased. The ride is great and the additional power of the 3.5L vs. 2.7L really comes in handy on the interstate. My 2001 is much quieter than my 1998 base edition, and the ride is exceptional for a car in this price range. Driving about 50K per year I really need a car that is comfortable and reliable and my Intrepids have certainly been that.

My first car

mmg16, 09/21/2011

This was the first car I ever had, and I must say I loved it. I got it when it was just over 100,000 miles and I had it until 118,000. It would be still running today, but a drunk driver hit it and it was totaled. It was a great, reliable car. But it is important to keep up with oil changes and services. The interior is very comfortable and can easily fit five people-six uncomfortably. The trunk is huge, which was a great plus. This body style looks a lot nicer than the old one, all in all I think this is a great car.

All good but the engine.

vince, 08/03/2009

Bought the car new with 18 miles on it. Everything was great up until around 75000 miles and the water pump goes out and the water and antifreeze get mixed into the oil. Had it fixed for $1300. Then a few thousand miles later the oil light would come on at idle. Had to have the oil light indicator sensor replaced. And a bad rattle also developed and had to have the timing chain and guides replaced for $1500. Had them check the oil pump while they were at it, said it was okay. Oil coming on at idle again. Maybe I'll run it till she dies. Sure do love to drive it!!

2000 Intrepid RT

Paolo, 11/17/2009

I have owned this car since 2001. I bought it with 14000 miles on it and drive it hard. The car is now 10 years old with 120,000 miles on it and I have never had anything on the drive train cause me a problem. The one area that has been a pain is the upper front sway bar link which has been replaced by me twic in 10 years. I replaced the brakes once so far but have to replace the front rotors and pads again. I also need to replace the front struts which is not bad as they are the originals. This car is in Massachussetts with its winters, the car is terrible in snow, and the worst streets and highways in the country. I would buy this car again in a hearbeat.

AWESOME CAR!!!!!!!!

Johnny S. Garcia, Jr, 06/07/2009

I bought this former rental car off a Dodge dealer's lot in Mar. 2002 with 35,000 miles and a MFG date of 06/01. My baby NOW has as of today's date (06/06/09) 218,171 miles on it!!!!!,,,It's a V6 2.7. Most of my miles came from highway miles. Read this and weep people, this car (MY CAR) IS AWESOME!!!!!,,,,I've done regular maintenance, tires, in fact, I went to the maximum width tire on 17 inch rims. The only major thing done on this car is the power steering pulley. It still has trhe orig tranny and batt. THANK YOU for this awesome car!!!!! I hear Dodge made a 2009 Intrepid?????

Wouldn't buy it again

jackrelax, 07/14/2009

Car was bought new and had no significant motoric or electrical problems for several years. The first non-driver related issue (that I can recall) was a cooling fan stopped working. This came about in 2006/07. The alternator seems to be going out now, 2009. The oil has been changed on a regular basis. A new battery was required, for the first time, a few months ago.

A ONE TON PAPERWEIGHT!

laura, 03/02/2010

loved my car until I reached the 79000 mile mark. My water pump failed allowing antifreeze to mix with oil which fried out all the bearings. Had to pay $600 just to cover the labor for the mechanic to get to the part. It will cost more to replace motor than the car is worth. I never imagined a car could fail so completely at this low of miles. Now that it's fixed my mechanic says I should dump the car because their transmissions have a 50% failure rate. Nice work Dodge! You can be sure I won't be purchasing your product again.

i must have got the only good one

jose, 04/11/2010

i have a 2001 se with 2.7 v6 and 123,000 + miles on the original engine and tranny. had to replace battery once and brakes as needed water pump at 100k did it myself and timing chain & guides while I was in there anyway. damn good car runs like new. I wonder if all the complainers ever heard of regular oil changes? I'll buy another one when this one dies if ever!

Not so good

Chris K, 09/25/2010

When I bought this SE car in 2002, it ran great, no trouble at all for 5 years. At 86,000 miles and after spotless maintenance checks and oil changes-- the engine died (2.7L). I found out from many forums online-- that the 2.7L engine was total junk. The oil passages in it are microscopic which leads to oil starvation of the various parts. This is a design flaw! There is no warning! One minute the car is running, the next it stops. In my engine, the timing chain tensioner quit (oil driven)-- the OHC failed, leading to valve breakage-- result, total junk engine. For those of you whose engine is still running- you are extremely lucky! But beware-- your engine could fail at any moment!

MOVING GARBAGE PAIL

jkm127, 08/22/2002

This has been THE worst car I have ever owned. As a result I will NEVER buy another Chryler product. Chryler does not stand behind it's product and provide unacceptable customer service. Got buy a Honda or Toyota, you won't have to worry about bring stranded in the middle of a busy freeway during rush hour traffic.

Cheap, but very reliable

rmasters2007, 12/04/2012

Cheap (i.e. painted plastic bumpers), difficult to maintain (i.e. water pump driven by timing chain, $1,200 to replace). Poor quality (i.e. electric issues, plastic pieces breaking). 220,000 miles and still runs strong. Regular oil changes with good oil, never had any issues so far. It will die one day, probably because either being involved in an accident or an expensive repair.

I love my car

secret, 07/18/2015
SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Touchy, but reliable and fun to drive

inconsumer2011, 01/31/2011

As of now, over 205,000 miles on original engine and transmission. Car is touchy due to hit and runs, and the lack of real bumpers. The painted plastic bumpers immediately missalign and the paint cracks. Car runs fine, except for normal wear and tear, no issues (yet) considering the bad engine reputation. But we keep up the maintenance and don't let an unknown kid touch our car. Too many specifics. Did you know that there is a second transmission fluid compartment which has to be drained and filled seperately from the main transmission? See? Gas mileage is great for a car this size, on the highway going the speed limit of course we get 28 miles, city and short distance drips 15.

Love my Intrepid!

Johnny, 01/16/2009

I bought my car less than 1 yr old with 20,000 miles on it. I've taken it to Vegas 3 times, LA nmerous times and my baby is as strong now as she was when I first bought her. Oil change every 4 months, full tune up every 10 months, 2 sets of tires and now she has 198,000 miles and still going strong. 2.7L engine could use a little boost, but love it just the same. Especially on cruise control going uphill. What a boost in rpm's! And road curves? What cornering! What road hugging. Makes me feel like I'm driving at Talladega Speedway!

Worst thing ever built!

buckeyekitty, 01/20/2009

This car is honest to goodness, the biggest piece of junk ever! We have owned it since 2002 & have had nothing but trouble. The brakes have been a major issue from the start. The air has gone out multiple times. Replaced the engine at 60k miles. Oil light flickers..been to 2 dealership, neither can seem to figure it out. Had to replace a window motor. Now the heater box needs to be replaced. Nothing is simple to fix on this beast. Nickle & dimed to death. Way too may issues for one vehicle. I have cursed this car for many many years & this week I finally get to junk it! Yea! Done with Dodge!

MAINTANANCE NIGHTMARE

pstorm, 05/19/2009

The comfort and everything about this car is nice. The dependability is terrible. I payed $2500 for the car. i know a great eal , until i started having to repair it. in the past two years i have paid out almost $12000 in repair. if its not one thing its another. i have replaced the engine the torque converter, the brakes the shifter cable, cv joint( snapped when i was driving .... not fun ) struts. and the list goes on and on. I could have bought a new car for that. i know i kinda did it to myself but i can't get a loan to pay for a car.

Do.Not.Buy.This.Car

Jessica, 07/04/2009

Listen to all of these reviewers when they say that the 2.7 engine will die on you. Because it will! Mine just happened to chose 5 months after I bought it. And replacing the engine was not an option because they are so hard to find and the fix will cost more then what the car is worth. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from this car!!

My baby

Jaime E. Carball II, 08/04/2009

Overall fun car, I had it since college graduation. It has taken me everywhere no problem. It is a big car but it handles just fine. Add on a few aftermarket products to enhance mileage and performance and you'll be set for quite a while. It's reliable, dependable and just plain fun. General maintenance upkeep, regular wash and wax and it to this day still looks brand new. I have the dark blue one and I still love driving it to this day. 8 years and still going strong, best vehicle ever made, best vehicle I ever owned.

2001 Dodge Intrepid- SE 2.7 Engine

Shawna, 05/28/2010

This vehicle has been the most reliable car I've had. My car is a garage baby at work and home. I purchased this car at 82,000. It now has 152,000. I have people coming up to me often wanting me to notify them if I decided to sell my car. So far, I've had front alignment work, (2) wheel bearings, intake manifold and the serpentine belt replaced. I just got that all done this year. I get regular oil changes every 3000 miles and a tune-up every year. The only other complaint is that I have an oil leak but I do keep a close eye to make sure there is enough oil. I had a Saturn that died at 148,000 miles before I got this vehicle which was crap. I think my next car will definitely be a Dodge.

2001 Intrepid R/T Motorsports

rg, 12/19/2002

The R/T is the top of the intrepid line & it performs like it. The Motorsports edition is very rare & was only made in 2001 to celebrate the return of Dodge to NASCAR. There were only 383 of these cars made. I love the looks of this car & its extremely roomy.

The only car I'll buy now!

alimay23, 03/19/2011

Absolutely love it! I bought it three years ago and now it has over 200,000 miles on it. Still runs like it was brand new. I haven't had any problems with the engine. Everything is original. It sat for over a year due to having no license and the only thing that had to be replaced was the battery. I have heard that if you don't look for a specialist of this type of car you are dooming yourself. I live in the very bad wintering midwest. It runs awesome in the snow. I have driven on ice covered and completely snow covered rodes. Of all the many cars I've had this is my favorite!!!!!

The Best Car I've Ever Owned

miss_m, 12/27/2010

I went to Dodge to get a new-used car as a Christmas present for myself and after not getting approved for a couple of cars that I was looking at, they had approved me for the 2001 Dodge Intrepid with only 75K miles and a 2-yr warranty. At first, I was not interested. Boy, am I glad that I took a second look at it the next day! After all, I was tired of driving my 1996 Pontiac Bonneville with no heat or air conditioning. With living in the desert, a/c and heat is a must! Besides, after putting about $1,300 worth of new parts and labor into the car, I was tired of dealing with my Bonneville. I'm so happy to be a new owner of my '01 Dodge Intrepid!

A ONE TON PAPERWEIGHT

LAURA, 01/18/2010

Purchased in 2002. A pretty good car. The only work it needed was routine maintenance like oil changes, tires etc. I've taken great care with it. The other day it stalled out on me and I had it towed to repair shop. Turns out the water pump failed allowing antifreeze to mix with the motor oil which fried all the bearings. I only had 79000 miles on it. I'm blown away that such inferior garbage such as this 2.7L engine can do this and is actually what you can expect to happen. I have an extended warranty but it may not cover the expense of a new motor since the warranty won't exceed the value of the car itself. I'll never ever buy Dodge or Chryseler again!

Best Car I have Ever Had

blndbrm727, 10/22/2008

I bought my Intrepid ES new in January of 2001. It now has 143,000 miles on it and have had to put only $1,000 into it -about a month ago. I love my Intrepid and wish they still made them! Would buy another one in 1/2 a heartbeat! Mine still has a good 30K- 40K miles left in it. My original goal was to get 150K miles. My secret has been this: Firestone! I purchased the lifetime tire rotation and lifetime alignment along with their tire protection plan. About $500. Each time oil is changed - tires rotated and aligned. Firestone is great about letting you know what maintenance is due when!

recommended!

dem440c, 12/18/2002

We bought this car for my wife to drive, and after nearly two years, she will still gush about how much she loves this car. This is coming from a woman who is very particular, so that is no small feat. The Intrepid is roomy, comfortable, and reliable with good looks, power, handling, versatility, and economy. It is not a sports car, but it is very competent in the city and on the highway, offering the stability of a large car with the nimble and quick characteristics of something much smaller. After almost 30,000 miles, I have done nothing but change the oil and put gas in it.

My love Intrepid

ctlee/Choon-Taek Lee, 12/20/2002

I bought this car nine month ago when I came to USA. At a first look, I was fascinated by its beautiful style. On the test drive, this car showed me smooth and powerful ride. Still I keep this feeling. During the highway drive, it shows tis real value. Smooth, good performance in uphill satisfied me. No repair cost at all except regular maintenance fee.

Bad Motor

Joe, 06/26/2008

Well the car broke in the middle of the highway and It didn't turn on again so call a tow truck ($80) to take it to the mechanic just to check it ($60)/ He told me that the oil pump went bad and it basically burned the motor so he told me that he can get me an used one for $1500 or a new one for $3000 and he also told me that those cars are very bad cars to get rid of it and I will as soon as I get more money.

Great car!

dpoyner, 04/10/2002

I love this car. The power of the R/T is great! There is some road noise, but it is easily drowned out by the radio! Lots of room, huge trunk, and a great ride. Very comfortable leather seats.

Pleasantly surprised

lcar, 04/20/2002

I bought a Dodge Caravan in 1997 and it proved to be so good I decided to switch to a Dodge Intrepid for our family sedan. This turned out to be a wise choice as it has been trouble free in the first 18000+ miles and gets reasonable gas mileage as well. The car handles great in snow and whips around freeway ramps like a sports car. My wife drives it daily and loves it. We made a wise choice.

Great Car for Us

Ed Ely, 05/01/2002

Excellant handling, roadability, driveability. Looks was one of the primary reasons for the purchase of this vehicle. However, once it was driven, we were sold on it. Got the best deal we could find and signed on the dotted line. We are glad that we did.

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6

vince, 01/18/2009

I bough my 01 SE when it was 14 months and 20500 miles old. Now 72000mi. Dealer change electric fan second year. Check engine light which dealer took 6 months to figure it was an leaking polution hose. Under extended coverage dealer changed a/c coil under the dash. I changed front rotors radiator drain plug tune up tires and pads.Had smog stuff serviced. Headlight buckets getting dull. Engine and front wheel drive noise after 50000 mi.

Dependable and Stylish

Bill, 12/28/2007

I bought this former rental car off a dealer's lot in 11/01 with 24,000 miles and now has over 135,000 miles on it. I commute 60 miles a day primarily freeway driving and consistently get 23- 25 MPG. I'm 6"6" so I need a roomier car and this fits the bill and I get good mileage to boot. Good reliability as the car still is working off the original battery and I didnt replace first set of brakes until 80,000 miles. It has yet to start leaking any fluid and still has orginal transmission. I've replaced a water pump that expectedly went bad at about 120,000 miles but that's about it so far. I may trade in '08 for something new-but will need to go long way to beat value this car provides.

Great Car

cincy80, 06/11/2002

I love my Intrepid. For your money you cannot get more. The power is awesome and the handling is great.

get ride

dig dug, 06/17/2002

havent had the car long enough to have any great times with it yet but i guess the best so far has been the abliatly to be able to have the power to get out of the way of the other drivers that cannt drive or just dont care about other drivers

Intrepid rocks!

Doug95B, 06/18/2002

Love it! great colour (Burgandy) tonnes of room! comfort, fun to drive, looks cool and its impossible to lock your doors with keys left in ignition!

Love my Intrepid

TP45, 08/06/2002

In the 15 months since my wife and I purchased our Intrepid we have been extremely happy with the decision to purchase this vehicle. A used car with 12,000 miles from Thrifty's rental fleet, the Dodge now has 36,000 miles on the odometer and our only expenses have been for fuel and oil changes. What the base 2.7L engine may lack in low end torque is easily forgotten as the RPM's climb. Fuel economy is excellant for a vehicle of this size.I have experienced fuel mileage in excess of 30MPG for highway driving with an average of 18-20MPG city and highway. It handles and looks great. I will not hesitate to purchase another Intrepid when replacing this car.

great car

stinger, 08/09/2002

Best car I've owned-prettiest too.

R/T

dkr, 08/23/2002

My R/T has been an excellent car! No problems to this point. Routine service except the entire exhaust was replaced due to a buzz/whine/rattle in one of the mufflers/resonators. Loads of space for my family of 3, and still good power and sportiness.

2001 Intrepid se

robert jones, 09/21/2002

45 000 miles, 90 % on the highway and never a mechanical problem. It's been a drean to drive and is a great highway cruiser.

01 Intrepid SE

Hendersnb, 11/05/2002

Good to look at, dog to drive. The 2.7L V-6 allows for no passing or merging. The dealer won't tell you that these cars are the easiest to steal. all you need is a flathead screwdriver. If you buy an intrepid, buy lowjack to go with it.

Sleek, stylish, big can be cool, too

emurray, 10/03/2002

After bringing it home, discovered auto tranny leak from hose fitting. Repaired under warranty at selling dealer - bad experience. Am now having fun driving to work, hauling the family around and on road trips. The factory stereo in the ES is pretty close to all you'll ever need. Not happy with the stingy amount of leather - trimmed seats. Trunk space is unparalleled for a full-size. Replace air filter and muffler/resonator and you'll have loads of HP!

Roomy, good looks and pep

Skyflyin, 08/18/2003

I have had this car about 9 months now and enjoy it very much. It is very roomy with a extremely large trunk, drives well and gets good gas milage (I have averaged 26 mpg). The car tends to overstear a bit and the road noise is quite loud on rougher roads, but the excellent handling and peppy engine make this a fun car to drive. I agree that the low front end makes it harder to judge distance while parking, but I have not had a problem getting in and out of the car (I'm 6'1") as some others have said. Overall this is a good car and the price is reasonable. I would not hesitate to get another one.

Intrepids are underrated

Intrepid22102, 09/04/2003

I can see why Consumer Reports made the car a Best Buy, but I don't understand why they don't get more respect from consumers. Roomy, comfortable, handsome, and accelerates and handles surprisingy well for a large car. Climate control is nice and it has a Great stereo, too! Not a Bimmer, but they cost 40 percent less. Very good "bang for the buck!"

GM sounds really good.....

stacy29, 07/21/2003

Started out as a great car with 24k. I now have to replace the rack and pinion, sway bar links, and struts. I have excessive tire wear on the front passenger side. Quote from dealership for the rack is $1200. This is, by far, the worst car I have ever owned. I come from a Dodge family, Chrysler would have to do a serious overhaul of it's engineering dept. before I buy another.

GOOFY

Lou Costello, 08/21/2003

Roomy, fun to drive and reliable.

Buy it if you can...

caz, 12/05/2004

I chose to buy a mid-range top of the line vehicle. You may ask, "why top of the line?" Quite simply, they are built better and with higher quality parts. My 2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T is very comfortable, sound, and reliable. Of course, I keep the vehicle maintenence and I plan on driving the vehicle through 200,000 miles. Outstanding gas mileage - 26 MPG. Very roomy - plenty of leg room

Good Car

rjack, 10/12/2003

My R/T drives very well when I don't have any of these problem. The problem that I had is the entire exhaust was replaced due to a buzz noise in one of the muffler. My passenger side door has been squeaking from the start, the booster (power brake was replaced), my car is alway pulling to the right & all of my windows make noise when rolling the windows upward of down. If the dealer can fix these problems it would be a perfect car.

Great car

mgriffith, 10/24/2003

I bought that car in January 2001 with only 24k miles and I am now approaching 85k miles. The only thing I have done to the car is a new set of tires, and regular oil changes along the way. THIS IS A GREAT CAR. I have added an oil air filter to the car which has increased the gas mileage by +15%. I am getting about 30 miles/gallon. The ride is nice, the road noise is fine (as far as I'm concerned) I will be looking to get another one when I replace this one.

51050