Used 2015 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Durango for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great Looks, Great Mileage For Large SUV

Terry, 12/08/2016
Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Although I love the looks, gas mileage (just over 27 hwy on long trips) and overall performance, there are a few issues. First, the fuel door can only be opened electronically and we have had multiple instances of not being able to get it to open. There is an emergency pull located in the cargo area that is hidden under a removable well. It was very difficult to get this to even work but after 5-6 hard tugs by my husband, it did open. I took it to the dealership and was told that since it was working properly at the time for them, that there was nothing they could do about it. One of the salesmen told my husband that he'd had the same thing happen to another Durango just that morning when he tried to gas up. After a bad customer survey several days later, we were contacted and given the offer to bring it back in for further evaluation (it's there now). Time will tell if they were able to detect and resolve the issue (I am not holding out much hope...). The other big complaint is that, for some illogical reason, attached to the right side of the steering wheel are wing-like protrusions that shift the transmission gears up or down. It is easy to accidentally push one of them depending on where your hands/thumbs are placed on the steering wheel. To get the transmission to return to normal operating function, you have to completely stop, shift into park and then back into drive. Why anyone would design a vehicle with an automatic transmission with gear shifting tabs on the steering wheel, is a mystery to me. I asked the service department if they could be disabled and was told that if there was a way to disable them, they were not aware of it. There is a strong lurch when it shifts from first gear into second, but otherwise shifting is smooth. As noted with quite a few newer vehicles nowadays, it does not come equipped with a CD player. I wish auto manufacturers would appreciate that there are still some consumers that would like to listen to their CD collections. It would also be nice if standard equipment included running boards as the ground clearance is high enough to need them and I am not a short person. It would be quite a drop down for someone who is short. The cargo area is quite spacious, especially when the third row seating is laid flat. Overall. It is a comfortable, good-looking ride and very roomy and well-appointed. A much more affordable option to a Chevy Tahoe, etc.

Better than the competition

Patrick Williams, 08/03/2015
Citadel 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Dodge has come a long way during the last 15 years. A quality product with technological advances putting them on a par and in allot of cases ahead of the competition. They are listening to the consumers in what they want in a SUV. We get numerous comments on how nice the Durango looks and when people ride with us they can't believe it's a Dodge. Kudos to Dodge and their improvements over the years.

Durango is all that and a bag of chips

Brian Pahlow, 02/25/2017
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Great overall build quality and performance. Very happy with the vehicle as a whole but would have been happier if it were about 10% less cost to purchase. Don't feel like the price was over what it should have been though. Very safe and great performance for a vehicle of this size with a V6 engine.

Works for me!

C Burks, 08/19/2017
SXT 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

When I went to buy this car in 2015, the thought was what was the most economical (purchase and operation) SUV that I could get and hold for 10 years that would give me a towing option? The Durango had more capacity in this area than other SUVs short of the likes of Expedition, Tahoe, and Suburban (which were more expensive and more gas thirsty). After a couple of years of heavy use, this persnickety customer is generally pleased. We have not yet hitched a trailer to this vehicle (for various family reasons), but we have used the hitch receiver for a cargo basket, put an additional cargo rack on the manufacturer-provided roof cross bars (can be placed or stowed for a cleaner roof line), and with this taken up to 6 adults and their luggage on extended road trips. Fuel efficiency has been good (over 20 mpg on the highway, fully loaded). Generally the vehicle is comfortable, a pleasure to drive, can get as far in the sticks as you want to go with a 4x2, and cleans up well. The biggest annoyance has been temperature control. The Chrysler engineers took the attitude that you tell the car the temperature you want, rather than just "hotter" or "more cool". I end up trying to out-think the controls to get what I really want, and become nostalgic for old-school slider bars that give "hotter" or "cooler". I haven't driven enough other vehicle built in the last 2 years to know if this is a Durango idiosyncrasy, a Chrysler idiosyncrasy, or a wider conspiracy by auto engineers at the expense of the car-buying public.

42000 mile update

Kyle, 10/02/2018
Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We lost Kuhmo tires at 20k. Had a few dash flickers and no starts through the 30s and 2 recalls. Now at 42k its had 3 visits to the dealer for the emissions in 3 weeks. Chk engine light keeps coming on. This doesnt look good....

Great truck, SUV but

Joe, 11/17/2018
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Great family truck, exceptional pretty much everything is great. But The traction control is very intrusive, as well as the abs! You will crash this vehicle if you drive it in the snow and try to stop even moderately to fast. 10 mph down hill will not stop! Turn the traction control off and it gets a bit better! I have extremely aggressive tires on ours, Goodyear duratrac wranglers. Goes great, will not stop! Even in non emergency situations! Im a professional driver, have thousands of hours in many different vehicles, and in all weather! And this by far is the worst ABS system ever!

Racing RPM's in Second Gear

Barbara, 07/22/2016
SXT 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I don't know if we got a lemon, but the car races into high RPM's in second to fourth gears and we aren't moving forward. It is un-nerving especially when we are on interstate highways in large cities and even just driving at home. When it occurs, the D which is for Drive gear is replaced with a large white number showing the gear we are in. We have had it checked twice for any reports of trouble but nothing is showing up on the computer. Next week we take the car in for another check and will leave it with our dealer so they might drive it and have it do what it has been doing to us. Our dealer will also check with Chrysler and see if any other Durangos are having the same trouble. We enjoy the flexibility of our car and enjoy the smooth ride but this is a problem we need resolved. We trust our dealer will take care of us. Updating on what has transpired. We have decided that the levers on the top of the steering wheel to down or up shift have been bumped generally on turns or lane shifts. We don't believe it is due to a mechanical problem. Dodge has stood by us on this issue and given their attention to our problem and that has been very satisfying. We took the car back to the dealer yesterday. They are road testing it and we hope we will figure out what is causing the problem. They ran the computer for error messages to no avail. We did get an update on the computer but we won't know if that was a fix. Time will tell. We now have a loaner car to drive until something more concrete is found. It could be a bad sensor with the throttle or something more complex. I just want our service department manager to tell us the problem was found and repaired. I will post any updates as they occur.

Beyond disappointed

Beth Gordon, 09/14/2015
Citadel 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

In 28 years of marriage, this was our first new vehicle purchase. We have 11,000 miles on it and have had it for 6 months. We've had to have it in the shop six times and still our issues are not resolved. The back shocks had to be replaced, a sensor went out in the fuel system causing our check engine light to go on, which disables your remote start capabilities. We had the sensor replaced and was assured the check engine light would stay off and it came the next day. I have not been able to use my remote start for two months. With temps over 90 degrees, this was very disappointing. We then had a terrible grinding noise under our pedal and brake. It was put on the hoist in the shop and the audible grinding has quit, but the technician never stated that there was a problem. There is still a slight grinding feel in the brake. We are now going to a new Dodge dealer to have it looked at and hopefully get the check engine light off. The DVD player in the entertainment system is very touchy and at times doesn't work. I understand getting the kinks out, but this is ridiculous. Unless Dodge provides some kind of intervention (and we are contacting them) I would never buy another Dodge again. It's really a shame because the potential for this to be the greatest midsize SUV on the road is definitely there.

shake raddle and roll

Tina, 05/25/2016
R/T 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I bought a 2013 dodge Durango, I thought it was a great suv but I was having problems with the front end wobeling on the highway. we tried to get it fixed they couldn't fix it ,when we went find another vehicle no one wanted to give us the amount we owed on the car. due to its terrible value ,so we traded it in for a 2015 dodge Durango rt . hoping for the best . we started out liking the car until we had an issue with the company who put a dvd player in left metal shavings on the seat it scratched the leather we had to fight with the dealer to get it fixed . the dealer told us we had air condition seats , and I believed them seeing it had little wholes in the seats . on the first hot day I went to turn the ac on and come to find out no air condition seats . then I went to turn on eco mode seeing how the gas milage was terrible and the eco mode makes a loud rumbling noise and vibrates your steering wheel . its so bad you cant turn it on .brought it to the dealer three times . they said that's how it was made . i called chrysler they said they could only offer me some oil changes REALY its going to cost me a lot more than a few oil changes in gas . so now I'm stuck with this vehicle i cant trade in due to these issues and no one would take it as a trade because its not worth the money we paid for it . thanks chrytsler

Hmmm surprising V6 Limited w/

Mark, 10/18/2015
R/T 4dr SUV AWD (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

UPDATE Sept '16: Over a year old with 37,000 no problems, everyone getting in believes it is a new truck. With 25k miles on Kumho 20" tires (12k on snows) they are shot but weared evenly: The design of this SUV is great. Love the way it drives, ergonomics and gas mileage. Smooth, quiet, solid, predictable ride and handling. The gas mileage exceeds expectation: 20 normal city driving, 25 around town and have been able to go over 30mpg repeatedly with a mix of suburb/hwy relaxed driving. Have not read the manual or watched the CD provided but find the controls intuitive. Beats audio is excellent and recommended. Bluetooth pairs with everyone in the family's phone quickly. Best logical/practical/redundant operation of controls than any car I have owned. Now the bad: plastics and chrome interior surfaces are scratched easily. This is more wear/scratches appearing than my Kia with 75,000 miles or my VW with 100,000. Loud squeak in the driver's seat over certain rough road surfaces (squeak still there at 37000) and what sounds like a phone on vibrate going off in the front passenger dash for first 5,000 miles but disappeared and returns rarely on certain roads(Update: buzz gone). Minor service problems during first 5000 miles but none since. Broken fuel line being the biggest problem. Stronger brakes requiring little less pressure would go a long way to perfect driving dynamics but this is a minor point. More bite would really shrink this SUV and be more in line with its responsive characteristics(Update: Breaks still lots of life left at 37K). 2016 model with stop and go engine at stoplights would be wonderful on this vehicle as idle is a little rough (Update: switched to Penzoil Ultra Platinum no change). Also new for 2016 is a sport mode to improve driving dynamics and can't even imagine what that must be like since my 2015 does it all to such a high degree. I drive for Uber and EVERYONE who rides in this is shocked it's a Dodge including veteran Dodge owners. Mercedes and Range Rover owners are equally surprised and impressed, even questioning the value of their vehicles with the Dodge half the price. Getting into third row of Durango is big reason I bought. I have adults using these seats and found the Durango to be the easiest ingress egress over, Ford, Acura and Kia. If Dodge can shed 300lb+ off the Durango they would go a long way to dominating MPG + performance in this segment. As noted in other reviews, transmission clunks in lower gears if you accelerate, lift off, then accelerate again but during 99.9% of everyday driving, gear changes are impossible to detect. LOVE the large gas tank and don't know why other non german SUV's don't incorporate them. I almost bought a 2016 Acura MDX but sister in-law is having so many problems with hers I am more confident comparatively in the quality of my Dodge Durango. I would highly recommend test driving this vehicle before purchasing any competitor.

51050