Used 1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Durango for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

All around great suv

myrango, 07/25/2013
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my durango now for 5 years. Let me tell you this has been the best suv I've ever owned. Its realible and tough. It is just what i needed. I've driven it to Florida and back to Louisiana 4 times, with no problems!! Outside of regular maintenance its been no problem. My 1999 durango owes me nothing. I would recommend this suv for anyone. Plenty of power(5.9 liter engine). The gas milage could be better but seriously I have no complaints. 3rd row seat provides more than enough room for friends and family. 4X4, nice ruged but stylish look and bold body style.. A great suv for camping or travel. A 5* hands down.

I love this truck!

bigrob54, 08/19/2012
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 99 Durango last fall. I purchased the vehical with the intent on making it into a mud bogger. I bought the truck from a retired couple that bought it new. They gave me all the recipts and a maintenace log. The truck only had 82000 miles on it! Over the winter I was in a accident with my everyday driver (2010 Silverado) The truck was totaled. I started to use the Durango as an everyday driver. I have NEVER owned a truck that did so well in the snow. I live in Northern Michigan. We get alot of snow! This Durango slices thru the snow at ease. I only had to use the 4 WD 3-4 times. I have since decieded not to turn this truck into a bogger. It's just in too good of shape. Great Truck!

1999 Dodge Durango

fcardenas88, 09/03/2011
SLT 4dr SUV

My mom bought this car new out of the lot back in 1999. She passed on to me with 100,000K when I graduated from high school. Car ran great but gas millage was horrible. The only thing I did not like about this car is that when you would drive it it was very heavy to drive and not smooth. It now has 192,000K and it still has the original tranmission and engine. Ive taken this car to Canada, Mexico and North Carolina and it did great and til this day it still runs great and looks good new too.

Old reliable

Josh eckel, 06/21/2018
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Gas mileage is well ify it's a v8 keep your foot off the gas u will see14 mpg in city 19 on hwy don't and u can watch the needle drop. Make sure every 15000 miles u drop the trany pan change the trans filter and tighten the bands as long as u do this no trans problem. Make sure u do this that's the reason why this trans got a bad reputation. No one ever did this i am a mechanic of 18 years and a dodge tech i know i have 168000 miles no trans problem. It also states this in owners manual.

Best of the best; built to last

bucksbigtrucks, 03/22/2013
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck with 201,000 miles, no problems. Now has 225,000 miles, still no problems. This truck runs so strong like it has only 25,000 miles. It can tow pretty much anything and 4X4 works great. Very satisfied with it. Only like the First Generation models though; Second Generation looks too much like a van. Stick with the 99 - 03 and you'll enjoy it.

Pros and cons

League, 09/05/2010
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have really loved owning this SUV! Knew mileage not good when I bought it but traded for versatility, power and looks. Minimal repairs. Have 150,000 and just now replaced upper ball joints and a/c. No other major repairs. Has been on many long trips and through bad weather with no problems. Handles better than other SUVs I've driven. It's been a good, solid vehicle. It's currently 11 years old and still looks great! Hope to have it for a few more years.

normal upkeep

Andy G, 08/19/2009
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have 160,000 miles on car got it new in 1999 work on car was minimal ball joints one sencer on trans, water pump my only complaint was freeze out plugs leaking this should never happen 5.2 motor. Gas mileage 15-18 mpg rides like a truck. Front bumper chips easy and starting to get rust.

Gold

Zech ", 12/19/2018
SLT 4dr SUV

260,000 Original everything from my knowledge. Only 3 previous owners 1 of which being my mother. The SUV is great. Reliable. Good in the snow. Good for having a group of people, family, kids. This vehicle gets a bad rep because people want to treat it like a new SRT version with new V8. Its a older model, I coast the [non-permissible content removed] out of it, never full throttle or force accelerations. This SUV is golden.

Garbage...

CozmoCarera, 10/28/2005
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I hate this car. I have a '99 Durango and I have had just about nothing but problems with it. I have had to replace everything... the transmition, every single belt that is under the hood, the power window mechanisms, and today i was driving down the highway and looked down and my speedometer was on 0. In other words, the speedometer is broken as well. The check engine light also decides that he's going to join in on the fun every month or so just for the heck of it. Grade A piece of crap. I wil most likely never buy a Chrysler product ever again.

Reason I will never own another dodge

ebglock, 07/13/2010
SLT 4dr SUV

Great motor. transmission started giving trouble at 65k. Electrical problems massive. Switches,window regulators, speed sensors, etc., etc. Brakes crap with defective bearings from dodge.

Fabulous - if you can afford it.

So-So, 04/21/2010
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My mother purchased this car for me at 130,000 miles and it ran perfect then. In the winter, this thing is a dream - blizzard? I don't care, 4WD - I'm going to the mall! So-so MPG is worth it. In the summer? No, thank you. MPG plus AC? No. Plus, my AC stopped working at 150,000 miles! The heater is questionable too. It takes longer than usual to defrost the windows in the winter. Also, all of that 4WD use caused driving to become uncomfortably rocky late this winter, prompting a $899 bill to replace four ball joints, tire rod end, and a wheel alignment; front end work common with this vehicle.

Bad truck, but Dodge itself is worse

J to the C, 11/19/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 1998 and it's been a rough ride since day one. This truck has stranded me, the wife and the kids at least 5 times in 4 years, We've gone through 5 batteries, 2 water pumps, 2 window motors, a washer pump, a blown freeze plug and a front seat, plus now with 50k miles the dealer says the ball joints are shot, the transfer case is leaking and the cooling system is corroded (even though they serviced it). After the 3 year warranty expired we tried to get Dodge to help us out at least a little bit but they told us to go to hell. Overall a bad car and a worse car company. Avoid at all costs.

I hate this Dodge

D, 08/02/2005
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had nothing but problems with my Durango. It's in the repair shop every other month with a bill of around $700.00 a whack. When I bought it, I wasn't planning on a monthly repair budget. I've had to replace all the major front end pieces, ball joints, tie rods, etc.. The belt has had to be replaced twice, spark plug wires twice, a gasket under the throttle body, one brake rotor, the windows keep sticking and now the u-joints are going out. But I do get to enjoy 18 mpg on the highway, if I'm lucky. :( At only 81,000 miles I should NOT be replacing major mechanical parts. If your planning on buying a Durango, plan on budgeting for monthly repairs and have back up transportation ready.

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k...

Marcus Williams, 09/26/2003
SLT 4dr SUV

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k, I am an owner of a 99 Dodge Durango. Other than the $30k I paid for it, and the extra $5k I'm having to spend in repairs, it drives decent. The truck has a problem with the oil pump causing the oil pressure to drop which causes the engine to burn out overtime. I found this to be a problem in many Dodge Durangos after going to consumer Affairs and reading about it. It's been over 30 instances of this same problem. If you want to read about it, here's the article http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/do dge_dur_oil.html

Good and Bad

Good and Bad, 04/05/2006
SLT 4dr SUV

Very utilitarian. Great for trips and easy to drive around a large metro area. Gas mileage is reasonable. Much better to operate than a large SUV. On the negative side, the transmission went "belly-up", a major expense, the AC has been a problem, and keeping the alignment corrected has been an issue.

This car stinks!!

LTEscott, 08/18/2003
SLT 4dr SUV

The 99 Durango has plenty of horses to get up and go, but it has been a struggle to keep it on the road. I have had problem with the entire front suspension, the A/C, the air bag, various sensors, the engine was using oil at the rate of a quart every 800 miles, and the last thing is the transmission blew to the tune of $5000. This car only has 70,000 miles on it and I have already put close to $11,000 in repair bills. I am so upside down that I can see China!!

Paperweight

Rychkid, 06/23/2010
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this car used, primarily for the size, looks, and 4WD. While the 4WD is great in the snow, everything else is a nightmare. It was in the shop 6x in the first 3 mos. The transmission went at 80K, upper ball joints at 82K, brakes at 85K, A/C & heat at 87K, power steering at 100K, leaking oil at 108K. This is the biggest piece of garbage that I have ever owned. I absolutely hate this vehicle. Do yourself a huge favor and steer clear. It's not built to last at all. The room inside & 4WD are great, but the price of repairs and annoyance factors will drive you insane. I can't wait to pick up my new vehicle. Again, stay far, far away.

Not satisfied

sutchman, 05/14/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my Durango for 3 1/2 years. It is great for transporting the family and hauling things. The breaks are still good after 31,000 miles. I would not by another one though because of the gas mileage and I had it to the dealer 5 times for the master cylinder, 4wd light, serpentine belt, clicking in steering wheel, and the head gasket (twice).

Truly a good buy

Tyler, 02/09/2009
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I truely love this suv, its been the most reliable and handy atomobile ive evre owned. It seats 7, can get ok millange if your easy on the pedal ( with the 5.9 it will be hard to achive this) and is very sporty for its size. Its been wonderfull in the snow and great on milled of road trips. Over all a pice of metal thats durable, reliable, and fun.

100,000 piece of crap

manchild425, 07/13/2009
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Transmission went out at around 70,000 miles. I've had to replace the front end, rear window motor, water pump, idle air controller, and now my sun roofs motor crapped out. Huals great, love the 4WD. The gas mileage stinks but that's what I get for driving a 5.9ltr V8. I love the leather and 3rd row seating.

The worst money can buy

PEEVED, 08/20/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my ragedy piece of crap in july of 1999. I wanted to get rid of it a year later. I've have two transmissions replaced, a selnoid replaced (whatever that is), fuel lines and gauges replaced. I've taken it to the dealer est. 20 times, mostly for poor performance, lack of power which of coarse they can never seem to find the problem. The gas milage is ridiculous, the power is horrible, esp from a 5.9 liter V8 engine. I hate this SUV so much that im increasing my monthly payments so i can pay it down and trade it in. PLEASE, IF YOU EVER THOUGHT OF BUYING A DURANGO.....DONT. GET A TOYOTA.

Don't make this mistake

fhjsifhwiehfnsdf, 12/04/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

A completely aweful vehicle. The reliability is horrendous and the service from the dealerships will blow your mind it is so bad. I finally punted mine and am so much happier with the Suburban now. Check the reliability ratings and reviews and heed their advice: Stay away at all costs. Dodge doesn't receive poor marks for nothing. If you buy a Durango you will regret is for years to come.

great truck

durango , 08/05/2003
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put over 60k miles on this truck in 2 years. I absolutely love it! It has the looks and performance I need. Would definitely recommend to anyone considering an SUV. Gas mileage is a little low (15-16 average) but what do you expect from a V8 SUV? Great comfort for long trips.

good so far

biggj, 08/18/2003
SLT 4dr SUV

brought slt so far no problem, enjoy driving, very bad on gas, rear air don't cool like i would like. very good on the hwy

One of the Worst Vehicles I Have Owned

GreenPower, 09/24/2003
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This joke of a SUV averages 10 mpg around town, on the highway maybe 14 mpg. It has a variety of odd squeaks and assorted noises that the dealer cannot find and repair. My wife drives this vehicle around town, never offroad - the rear leaf springs snapped, which cost close to $1000.00 to replace. A power window sensor malfunctioned preventing the window from operating - $300.00 to repair. The power mirrors are now malfunctioning. The transmission is slipping. Overall this vehicle sucks - I'll never buy another Chrysler product.

Large SUV feel in a small package

ziggymon, 12/01/2003
SLT 4dr SUV

Purchased our 5.2L new in 1999. This has been a wonderful vehicle. Yes, it rides a little stiff, but so do most other SUV's manufactured back then. However, the stiff ride allows for great cornering ability. Everyone knocks the gas milage. Have you checked other V8's fuel economy? Have you replaced your air filter? We just added a K&N air filter and are now getting 20 mpg on the highway! That's a 2 to 3 mpg improvement. As for the power....WOW! Passing has never been easier! And the pinging has all but disapeared. The truck has been nearly trouble free. Complete the scheduled maintenance and you shouldn't have any major problems.

Funner than a rodeo

Joeb612, 12/12/2005
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first 4wd vehicle and I have to say that the ride is different than the Lexus RX300 I was driving. It is far better suited to the climate I live in. I have not suffered from the dreaded stopping on a hill and not being able to creep forward due to tire slipage. The 11.7 mpg city hurts a little, but overall a far more usfull vehicle. The third row seating w fold up second row makes for great movie watching for the kids on long drives. gives them lots of play room and still gives you room for a couple suitcases behind the third row.

SORRY DODGE YOU SCREWED UP!

Durangos Suck, 02/02/2004
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Durango a $1000 under what everyone else was asking and got a great deal. One year later the truck depreciates $3500 bucks, and have had nothing but problems since. Had to put in tranny seals in 2 times now, ball joint are goin out, tie rod ends are going out, exhaust is going out. shocks, minor electrical, squeaky pullys, fog light switch, windshield spayers, differental is acting wierd, Braking is pretty funky as well somtimes the antilocks works somtimes they don't. I am at the point I am scared to keep it any longer. Oh yes and everybodys favorite complaint the HORRABLE gas mialage! 10 mpg.

My Dodge

Priscilla, 03/11/2004
SLT 4dr SUV

I prefer this body style compared to the new 2004 Durango.

99 durango

cheryl hayes, 05/02/2004
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the roomy interior, the comfort and the drive. I have had only 1 problem and that being using a automactic car wash the water gets in the distibutor and the car has to dry out a few minutes before starting.

Maintenence Woes

Mishel, 08/01/2004
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I adored my Durango and stood my ground when my father tried to tell me it was poorly built. I have seen the light, Dad is ALWAYS right! It is 5 years old now(and I am still paying payments!), and goes in the shop an average of once a month. If I get it out for less than $500, I am delighted. I replaced the transfer case($3000), speed sensors(3X $300), power window motors, water pump, radiator thermostat, etc, not to mention the typical 'expected' things. Have I mentioned I am on my 4th serpentine belt? I was told they should last 3 years! I think the mechanic has the truck more than I do Anyway, they look good, but I'll never buy another one!

Love my Dodge

Dan S., 05/06/2005
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased the Durango after looking around at many other models. I loved the looks and power. We tow a very large camper as well as a farm tractor, and use it for other work around the farm. Have had no problems until now. Transmission is starting to give trouble. Everything still works great and we have the SLT plus. Still use it when we need to carry 7 people. nNver been stuck yet, thanks to 4WD.

I'm a Dodge woman, but...

melinda, 04/24/2007
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used in 2005, had to rebuild transmission. The glove box latch tricky then finally broke, passenger side back door mysteriously broke, no one seemed to know how. I suspected the children until I was driving down the road one night and the one behind me suddenly blew up! Not a clue what happened, hoping the dealership will let me know tomorrow. A lot of pinging in the engine when accelerating. Uses oil like crazy. Can't roll the back windows down if going very fast because of the ear popping and noise. I have gone through 2 alternators and the check engine light is always playing tricks.

Love/Hate Relationship

Diverdown, 09/08/2007
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car to replace my aging Dodge Caravan and for the purpose of towing a recently aquired boat. Little did I know what I was in for. I love the fact that it is big, but not a monster. It can hold the family or carry lots of stuff and still fit in a parking space. Both the interior and exterior design are nice on the eye, but it drinks gas like it has a hole in the gas tank and has a lot of quirks that require attention. I have almost 97,000 miles and the leather has held up very well. The problems I have had which I have seen in other reviews is the speedo went dead, found out it was the rear a/c sensor. Eats oil with no idea where it goes, window regulators are sparatic.

Dont Buy this Car

greenski, 05/16/2003
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have spent more money in repairs on this, then on my 1990 honda with 230,000 miles. and that is with the trans. going out under warenty.

Love that Dingo

mk, 04/06/2008
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I just love my Durango, hubby wants me to get a new one but I want to keep this one. The gas is another issue - yes it sucks. Great for hauling kids - lots of them. Wonderful in the snow. Have had to replace the ball joints in both front wheels twice. But still runs good with 135,000. miles.

Its a gas sucker

Igot, 03/25/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is definately a gas hog. Also when driving on the highway it sounds like wind is coming in the front window. Love how it handles and the comfort.

My Durango has a nickname OUCH$

LBL, 06/07/2008
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really do like it after approximately 30,000 dollars yes 30k. New crate eng, radiator, 2 wtr pmps, fuel pump, brake lines, axle bearings/seal rear, rear replaced, headlight switch, drvr dr motor, etc etc. Now it rides better than the day I bought it, and I still for some strange reason just like it! Go figure. Oh did I say transmission replaced too. LOL tears of joy. Ps. Pass. Side mirror and heater box need diverter switch /core next. Hahaha .

Money Pit

Dodge sucks, 04/06/2009
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I do not recommend this vehicle to anyone ... I bought it with the intention of keeping it for 10 years, therefore I serviced it accordingly at an authorized Dodge service shop. Without warning or indication the trans went out at 65k miles and again at 130k miles. I can't believe it cause I never tow anything, go off- road, or skip services. All in all it was a pile of crap from the get go - I called Dodge today to let em know I’m' unhappy - and since it is out of warranty - I have to pay for the repairs on my own. Lesson learned - Dodge is a big no no in my future. Sorry guys I really did give you an opportunity to help me out - perhaps you can rip another poor sucker off and stay in busines

Will you be 'thumbing it'?

Phoenix, 03/21/2010
SLT 4dr SUV

Love this vehicle's design, space, and characteristics. Hate the fact that you might be left on foot! Going on my 'possible' 3rd transmission job in 3 years. If I keep it! Like many before, front passenger window motor, bumper peeling/rusting easily, and now, faced with another transmission job! 2 people depend on this vehicle for work while other "Dodge" in shop (over 2 wks) with no luck on getting it going. I will not buy another Dodge or Ford at this point! Either its something missed in a recall or just wasn't caught by a safety expert that gives a da**. Oh yeah, front upper/lower ball joints both wheels, sway bars, bearings to keep from crashing

Never again

Jeff, 02/24/2007
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has been nothing but problems from the ball joints to the water pump not to include the door locks and burned out window motor. Dodge did not do their homework when making this model. Shame on you Dodge!

Safe, Useful, When it Runs

gplant, 08/18/2009
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it for my wife to giver her more metal around her. Powerful, pulls loads, and hauls whatever you wants. Sucks gas, but no surprise. Good, reliable vehicle, except for the ECM (throttle control), which has a mind of its own - you have to ride the throttle to keep it from dying. Heater core & water pump had to be replaced at 70k miles.

My biggest mistake

lmounten, 08/07/2005
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango 01/2005 and here it is only 7 months into having it and I hate it. I bought it with the thought of safety in mind because I have 2 small children. Well, I found out first hand that when it rains I fish tail on turns and slide on the snow (and I don't drive fast). I bought the Durango from a known dealership and I have had so many problems with it. The brakes were supposedly replaced and they are so bad. The battery went dead the 3rd month into having it, the water pump went out in month 6 and now something is wrong again. So I am searching hard for something else and no dealer wants to give me what it's booking for, so what does that tell you?

This car is just OK

phoebeK, 04/08/2002
SLT 4dr SUV

Although I like driving my Durango and it hasn't had any major problems, the car has some drawbacks. 1) Air circulation- this car does not allow you to select fresh or recirculated air. 2) Power windows stick- intermittently- by the time you get it to the dealer it'll be working again- and they won't fix it until they can replicate the problem- even though Durangos have historically had this problem. 3) The PAINT SUCKS! It chips VERY easily.

Love my Durango

CFS, 08/03/2008
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my Durango, the only downside is the gas mileage. If I drive carefully I can squeeze 16 mpg out of it, but old people drive by me shaking their fists because I'm going too slow! Other than that I would drive this vehicle forever if I could (also if I could afford it).

Durango

loganschert, 05/02/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Spend more time under the car than in it!

185,000 Durango

Durango Dave, 01/16/2009
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new and used as a daily driver/home construction work truck/ski vehicle for the past 10 years. Avg fuel economy of 14.5mpg. 5.9L engine with tow package. 4X4 with compound low transfer case has never failed me, left me stranded and there has never been snow conditions that have stopped me. Never needed chains. A/C condensor failed a couple of days after warranty expired. Rear washer hasn't worked for years. Had to completely rebuild the front end. Replaced water pump. Replaced manifold gaskets. That's about it. No problems with transmission or electricals.

60K Mi Report

ghorvathjr, 06/03/2002
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has performed extremely well through first 60K miles. There was (and continues to be), however, some excessive wearing on insides of front tires. I've checked with other Durango owners and this appears to be a relatively common trait. 5.9 Liter engine pulls loaded two horse trailer though mountains with better than expected results. Have performed following services outside scope of normal maintenance & warranty work: -One brake replacement (to be expected) -One water pump replacement (at 55K miles) at a cost of $1500.00.

60K mil Report

lhowie17, 06/13/2002
SLT 4dr SUV

We had the water pump go out about 56,000 miles. The tires on the car wear down very fast. Seems like every quarter we are buying a new tire. The air controls don't blow when putting the button on air at the top and feet for some reason. Same problem was happening on our 99 Dakota. Dealer ordered the part but never called again to say in and then it was out of warrenty. The truck drinks gas like crazy!

1999 Durango

rbecker54, 07/12/2002
SLT 4dr SUV

Been in the shop many times for various reasons, mostly power window acutators. I've replaced 7 since buying the car and only have 35,000 miles on it. Very poor gas mileage and hard on tires.

51050