Used 1993 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

220,000 mi AC still works and still running
By Leroy

1993 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab LE 2dr Regular Cab LB

The engine and transmission were never worked on. The AC still worked. I bought it from a friend when it had 190,000 miles on it. I kept it for 10 years. I was the third owner I think. He had it for several years. The only issues he had was fuel pump and catalytic converter after 175,000 miles. Around 200,000 the gas gauge quit and I had to replace the water pump which was the original. Also the rear wheel cylinders were replace about the same time. Otherwise it was only maintenance. Oh yes, the overdrive quit working at some point late in its life. I believe it was either the solenoid or the overdrive switch. I only used it around town with few trips on the highway so being sort of lazy I never got serious about tracking down the problem. I sold it to Car Max recently as I was going to order a new Ram 2500.

My first vehicle, wish it could be my last
By Marie

1993 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

My grandpa had this truck for I don't know how many years before me, and would still have it but he couldn't handle the clutch anymore for the arthritis in his knees. I bought it from him for $500 at 117k mi in 2007 as a poor 19 year old, and now in 2016 just about to roll over 200k I still can't imagine myself driving anything else. I do believe it will rust out from under me before that engine quits, Colorado's long salty-road winters are eating it alive. In 2010 I drove it cross country from North Carolina when I moved to Denver almost nonstop no issues, completely loaded down with everything I owned in the back. I swear it runs better loaded down than empty! I camp a lot and it hauls about 1000 lbs of gear in the bed up to over 9000 ft, steepest grade encountered is 15% and it doesn't break a sweat. It's just a 3.9L V6 5 spd manual but I get 19.5 mpg highway and 15-16 city. Hauling in the mountains it still gets 18! I don't really go offroading, just gravel and dirt roads, but even being only RWD, with my nice Michelin tires it handles snow around town no problem up to 16" deep. The interior is far from luxurious, but it doesn't mind getting dusty muddy salty snowy cleanup is easy. Electrical sucks, I have replaced every sensor it has and its now time for 2nd stereo replacement, but mechanically only major replacements are the clutch at around 150k, fuel pump a year or two later, the water pump and thermostat 4x but all under warranty, and just recently the radiator (with 4th water pump). Even with one rear fender almost totally rusted away, and the hood and roof not matching the rest of the green truck (rustoleum gray, to combat rust of course) I have had several people try to buy it from me for as much as $3k. KBB is under $250 LOL. Even bringing it in for oil changes the mechanics try to buy it because there's so much room to work under the hood. But I just can't part with it. It's too good a truck and I'll never trade it because it deserves better than to be scrapped. LOVE THIS TRUCK

stick with ford or toyota
By theduke

1993 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

that was the worst 1000$ ive ever spent. this is the worst driving truck ive ever owned. it skips in reverse or 4L. it seems to be one problem after another, and i plan to sale this truck and get a 90's model F150 or a '86-89 toyota 4x4. i will never buy another dodge.

i like the way the dash board is designed

spend your money on somethin better.

The best purchase I've ever made
By jp

1993 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

By far, very little will compare with my truck. Its got 177,000 of hard miles and its still going strong. Brakes last forever, same clutch. Other than a water pump, radiator and a belt, it all still original. Ironically, the biggest flaw I found with the truck is the gas gauge went at 95,000 miles and I have to use the trip odometer to know when to get gas (the gas light still works).

Reliable...get it with the 5 speed ..its actually fun to drive.

gas gauge started to rot after 14 years

best dakota ever
By mopar512

1993 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab LE 2dr Regular Cab SB

My dad got the truck with 300 miles in 92, he gave it to me in 08, great truck, awesome to drive, its smooth n its a v8 and it's a Dodge it cant get any better than that, I got a dual exhaust, with a cherry bomb extreme sounds awesome

i like the paint its two tone white and gray with red pin stripes , v8 magnum 5.2 pretty sweet

dual exhaust , would be nice