Used 2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

2012 Dodge Avenger
By Cindy

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT Plus 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

One of the best I have ever owned

So far so good
By Eddie&ann

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car for my wife who loves it. Despite people saying its not good in the snow,it has done well.(this separates the drivers from the others). On long trips,the driver seat feels more like the seat in an F-14. Not so comfy from maine to connecticut. Do your home work,look it over really good. For us its been a reliable car with no major malfunctions. Shes happy-you know how that goes!!

It's a car that fails at it's own job
By Jordan

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from my sister for $3100 (what was left an auto loan) because she no longer needed a car at all. She knows nothing about cars, so as long as it works, she won't care. So far, I haven't had any major issues with my car and I'm at 80K miles, but I still fear for my life. There was a recall on seatbelts and airbags. As long as you don't suck at driving though, you can survive. It gets great gas mileage! I started working in town and didn't have to commute, so I'm still at a full tank after filling up last week. But that's probably the only good thing about this car. This car has a 2.4 inline-4 engine, and the 3.6 V6 has 110 more horsepower but same mpg. This car is gutless. You press on the gas pedal and you almost hear the engine ask you to repeat yourself because it didn't hear you and then you find out your engine is a turtle crawling backwards in January. The 4 speed transmission is like an older gentleman, it's slow to decide on what it wants to do, even though you told it what to do a thousand times. I tried buying aftermarket parts to modify it's performance and literally the only thing anybody makes for it is a cold air intake. So you really won't get far with that idea. The exhaust is fairly loud, but only from inside the cab if that makes any sense. The radio at least works, it has a 6 disc CD player because we all need that, but at least it had an auxiliary port, but no Bluetooth or usb. The seats are pretty comfortable, but for about 2 hours. After that, your butt starts getting numb. After all the immediately important stuff, then you think about what to do when something needs repairs. Engine parts aren't too hard to find as long as it's a sensor. Anything else is special order from dealer or it doesn't exist. Changing out a simple battery requires the removal of the front left wheel and fender. Buying a new engine or transmission if necessary, is almost as much as the car is worth. That actually doesn't say much... Wheels are common though, brakes are easy to replace, oil changes are a breeze, but I got my hand stuck trying to change my headlights because I didn't like the idea of removing the bumper to get to it. Overall, this is one of those cars you only should drive as a rental or a lease when it had 30k miles on it. But after 100k, well I don't think I've ever seen one yet that isn't for sale.

Very Good C ar
By David Cody

This is a very good car foe the price. GOOD PEP, HANDLING AND mpg

2012 Dodge Avenger heater blows cold air
By Kristi Deal

2012 Dodge Avenger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car brand new and it has been in the shop 5 times to be fixed. The heater core and radiator were changed a few months after I bought it because the heater was blowing freezing cold air out of the passenger side. The repair shop told me it was because when they put the sealant on the car when it was built they used too much and it went into the radiator and through the cooling/heating system. Obviously that was not true and It is now again blowing freezing cold air on the passenger side. This is horrible. It is 5 degrees outside here and I cannot even get my car warm to get my son to school and me to work. This really needs to be addressed and fixed by DODGE, not the car owner. I have seen 100's of complaints on this issue with the same car. I am at a point where I really just want a different car because something keeps happening with this car. The electrical system had to be replaced due to faulty issues, wipers didn't work properly they would go on by themselves, then they would not work at all. In the winter time when I start the car it sounds like there is something screaming under the hood. There is a clicking noise in the car when it is hot outside and the repair shop cannot find anything wrong? The breaks had to be replaced right after I got the car because they squealed when in reverse. I had to take the car back a few weeks after they changed the breaks because of the squealing because guess what, they started squealing again. I was told it is normal because of the new break pads they use on Dodge vehicles. They said there is a coating on the pads that make them ALL squeal. That is NOT TRUE.