Used 1991 Chrysler Imperial Sedan Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Chrysler Imperial Sedan Consumer Reviews

Base 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )

My Lady Blue
By Todd

1991 Chrysler Imperial Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Imperial over 10 years ago. Nice sporty comfortable car had 79,000 miles. I am the second owner. Plenty of power & great fuel economy. I have had MPG as high as 29 mpg at 55 mph on Interstate. Never thought It would last this long. Has over 190,000 miles. But now for the bad. 2 months after I bought it. Had a electrical problem. After a month of searching & tearing car down to find the short? Dimmer multi function switch had shorted out when the sun visor on passengers side was used. Then the next winter I kept getting a dead battery. Found a Short in Head light switch. Had to replace switch & the connector so I would have lights. The Drivers side window motor burned up during a record cold month. The next year was great with few problems. Normal Maintenance. Then the short circuits started again. The ABS light came on. $350 later the rip off repair shop said the ABS Pump & Master cylinder unit need to be replaced. $1000? Drove it with no ABS for years till I found on on Ebay for $250. Took several days to remove all the bolts & 10 brake lines. Between the years of finding the ABS problem. Have replaced the Digital Dash instruments 3 times & the PCM 4 times. Have spare one now. Current problem after I had to replace the rear axle due to rusting off of spring mounts caused a short to fuel pump & found the air ride system mounted behind passengers side rear quarter panel. Had another short circuit. As usual the Head light, Multifunction switch & sympathetic relays. Had to find a local repair shop look over the Chrysler. Nobody works on cars this old. They found the 60 way connector had loose wires & if it was wiggled? The engine would shut down & not start. Well that too a week. Now waiting for weather to warm up. Have to replace the wiring & connector to PCM. I found one of a few in USA. Still can't find any one that will work on the old Chrysler. One good thing I have had with this Chrysler Imperial. If I can find the parts. Replace the electrical components? She will start & run with strong motor & excellent fuel economy. The Body is fair to very rough. Never have I got stuck in snow. But she runs strong & will smoke the tires if given too much throttle. If a Chrysler Imperial can be found to purchase? Have a good mechanic of trusted dealer check the electrical out. The Engine & transmission are a strong part of this Chrysler. I have not had a problem with either. If a problem supposedly is the engine? Check all the electrical for both Engine & Transmission. I recommend the car because when she is running? Best car I have owned I have have had several.

This car keeps on going
By Richard

1991 Chrysler Imperial Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased said Chrysler Imperial in 1990 and have owned it ever since. I now have 137,500 miles on vehicle and have had no problems maintenance wise except for usual expected replacement parts, oil changes, tires,etc. I plan on keeping this car for at least another 20 years or so. You can take that to the bank!

Comfort, low noise, excellent gas mileage, and all around fantastic car.

Can't think of any

I'll miss her
By coolv

1991 Chrysler Imperial Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was a very reliable car. I didn't
have any problems at all. I didn't fix
anything on it. Was a little slow out
the box, but the car was 13-14 years
old. Performed as well as a caddy on
the interstate. I easily passed much
newer cars. I couldn't tell I was
going so fast. This was a very smooth
car. Interior was near new condition.
Car was white (no rust) with burgundy
interior (unbelievable condition).
Transmission was a little rough.

Interior, vinyl top, the grill and emblem on the front. The way the car looks from the rear. Very roomy, huge trunk. Very smooth on the highway. Very reliable. Previous owners did a good job. Good paint.

No middle console to prevent things from sliding from the front seat to the floor in the back. Had to pay special attention to white walls. Not that big a deal though.

1991 Chrysler Imperial
By Fred W. Hoffman

1991 Chrysler Imperial Sedan 4dr Sedan

We live in a small town and the car has
worked just fine for us for these past
few years. it handles very well on the
road and is an easy start in winter. We
have always kept the car in the garage
since our ownership. The tires are very
good. Transmission was replaced 3 years
ago. No major problems with the car. We
change the oil often.

The car looks good for its age. The style is classic and people still give us compliments on it. Radio works good also.

I can't think of any at present.

Wish It Were Better
By AbCdEf

1991 Chrysler Imperial Sedan 4dr Sedan

Handsome, very comfortable, roomy car,
but considering my low mileage and the
high-end price, seriously unreliable.
Since I have owned it, the ABS,
electrics, suspension, transmission,
wires (computer) and air compressor
have failed and had to be replaced
between the ages of 6 months and
approximately 6 years. Engine seems
fine because oil was changed every 3-
4,000 miles without fail. Transmission
is particularly poor. Brakes not good
either. After 88,000 miles, I will
sell it because I have to keep putting
big money into it.

Dash, leather interior, smooth ride, huge trunk, good exterior paint & vinyl half-roof, easy power steering, Halogen lamps

Transmission, no "cushion-air" suspension, more responsive brakes