Used 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Crossfire for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Fun and rare, but buyer beware.

boeroboy, 03/23/2011

Basically an affordable variation on the Mercedes SLK. Fun to drive with top down on a nice summer day. Six speed manual is smooth, but could be geared a little better for fuel (gear 6 in the manual is actually lower than gear 5 in the auto for some sad reason). Fuel economy in my experience is 28-34 mpg. Just beware that most "Chrysler" parts in this vehicle are just Mercedes parts with a Chrysler sticker and a massive markup. Remember the Crossfire was a lovechild of Daimler/Chrysler and is no longer made. If you buy one, be sure to join the Crossfire owner club/forum for help since most dealers don't remember what to do for Crossfire service besides take your money.

Sporty Roadster

Jim Napier, 08/29/2018
Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

These are unique sporty cars. They are not suitable for a family car due to the fact they are two seaters. They are increasingly hard to find in good condition so the value should increase with time. Also, one other thing.....I am 75 years old and when I drive the car, well, you can guess how I feel!

Love my Crossfire but...

Mark Crossfire, 11/11/2018
Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Crossfire is based on the long-in-the tooth Mercedes 320 SLK, and has the same virtues and vices. Expect relatively high maintenance costs (just like with the MB). Others have reported the usual suspects, including sticky key, TPS, several twerky sensors, and inevitable oil leaks. If you buy the Roadster know the rear window will fall out, and the hydraulics are very $$$. Do not buy a roadster unless the window has been reglued and the hydraulic cylinders replaced or plan for an unavoidable expensive repair (or seriously negotiate on the price). Center-line handling is bad due to obsolete design. The interior has too much plastic, and the radio and GPS is, as to be expected, pretty outdated. Many Crossfires are higher mileage so expect leaks with gaskets, main oil seal, engine mounts, and transmission mounts. Now the good news... maintenance is very Mercedes-like and can be predicted. The car is still a head-turner, and I find the 215 hp sufficient for normal road use and has surprising acceleration due to light weight. Grip is phenomenal, especially with good summer tires, and nothing beats driving with the top down. I put a Magnaflow cat-back on mine and it sounds awesome. The seats are good and have the usual adjustments. Treat the Crossfire with some TLC and you'll get many happy miles out of the vehicle. This is a car for the love of driving without breaking the bank (except for maintenance), and is meant to cruise with someone at your side.

Vehicular Prozac

KimPossible, 03/25/2009

This is the perfect second car for anyone unless you have knee problems (in which case you shouldn't be getting into ANY sports car). I know a lot of people who also use them as a daily driver, but I don't trust the other people on the roads enough. This is a head turner .... I get so many stares that it is almost embarrassing. Right after I got it, I walked out of a take out place to see a group of people gathered around my car. My heart plummeted - I was sure it had been hit. As it turns out, a crowd of people just wanted to stand around a look at it. That will make you smile every day.

Love My Crossfire Convertible

Crossfire Lover, 07/01/2009

Since my drive home from the Dealership in August 2004, I still love my Crossfire. I got the Pearlcoat Yellow exterior color with black leather seating. When driving on City streets or the Highway, I still get thumbs up from other drivers. The Mercedes engine gives it wonderful power and "super get up and gone". The Mercedes suspension handling is first-class and the ride is always a thrill. Lots of sensors, 3 braking systems, 18 and 19 inch tires, beautiful looking engine and a sexy as heck exterior design. And with all that, it is a totally fun car to drive. Try one and see.

Buyer Beware

triplefire, 03/02/2009

Bought this car confidently after reading so many positive reviews. Purchased Certified used from Chrysler with 38400 miles. Love the styling and handling, especially the two tone interior. However, within 2 days, I noticed a VERY annoying rattling coming from the panel behind the seats/ tonneau cover. Within one week the GPS Navigation stopped functioning. Within a week and a half, I found oil leaking from the rear of the car and the lights are dimming and getting brighter while idling. I thought this was supposed to be a CERTIFIED vehicle! Don't be fooled by Chrysler's so-called Certified Used program...

An unknown gem

Mark V, 07/02/2018
Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I like owning a fun car, and the Crossfire certainly qualifies. It is sporty, nimble and gorgeous. It gets lots of attention since nobody knows what it is. What it is is a re-skinned Mercedes SLK turned into an art deco boat-tail roadster. It is also mechanically bullet proof and cheap enough to have worked on. thee cars are getting harder and to find. I recently added a Crossfire coupe SRT6 to my collection. It has a 330 Horse power AMG hand built engine...talk about FUN!

MY TOY

RON, 05/07/2009

I bought this just for a summer toy. It's a blast to drvie and I get (nice car) everytime I'm out. People always stop to stare. I have got over 30mpg at times. It has only has 16000 miles on it and not one problem. It rides a little rough but we don't have the best roads in Ohio. The 19" wheels and low pro tires makes cornering fantastic. The interior is a little tight but I'm 6ft and 215 lbs. Probably a little large for any two seater. But it was affordable and with the top down,it's just as desirable as any other 2-seat sports car out there.

Great Sports Car!

gamegirlmmr, 10/04/2017
2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Love this car! Has all the pick-up anyone needs. The car was made in Germany and the engine is a Mercedes. For a small car and a convertible the trunk has an unbelievable capacity. The car I bought is like new. It was beautifully maintained. A very fun car to drive!

All Flash

catlady, 04/04/2007

The Crossfire may be cute and look fun, but underneath the hood there is a significant lack of torque, and inside, the seats are just short of back breaking. I bought the car with 5,600 miles on it and was told the woman who traded it in had a bad back. Now I do too. I had a Nissan 350Z and there is absolutely no comparison between the two cars in performance or comfort. The trunk is useless too. Opening is so narrow it's difficult to get anything larger than a shoebox in. I've also had to have two new stereo's put in because of the skipping CD player. Get a Z.

Better late for a Roadster than never

CoronaCATom, 08/24/2009

When I was about 20 I wanted a Triumph TR6 baaad, but couldn't swing it-and thank god since they were so unreliable. 30+ years later I finally have my roadster, and what a fun piece of machinery! About a week ago I found a clean 2005 example with 26K miles for $16K. It is smooth, well-balanced, fast enough, and purrs like the old Triumphs-as least from my memory! I share it with my wife (have to decide between it and a MB CLK500...a tough choice let me tell you!). The styling is so distinctive, and the chassis is solid enough for fast curves, yet the ride is actually quite smooth overall. If you are considering a Mercedes SLK, try out a used Crossfire. It is its fraternal twin for less $$$.

Lots of power for a compact sport car.

Rancho, 11/22/2006

I bought this car in Nov 2006 and droved for couple of days. Had a lot of fun with my Crossfire Convertible Limited 6MT. It's the second convertible that I own and, I have the most fun out of this Crossfire. Lots of power under the hood with 320 SLK engine, light weight body and wide tires. I could easily cruise from 50 to 100 mile an hours in 3 seconds and yet the engine still has plenty of horse power underneath the hood. I try 130 mph already and feel like I am cruising at 75 mph. I ready feel that this car can out perform the 350z in acceleration. For those of you that may be interested in the sport cars, should go out and test drive the 350Z, BMW Z4, and the 2003 Corvette.

Highly Reccommend!

TL, 10/06/2010

Not comfortable on long rides but in its defense, it's not a touring vehicle.

Love this car

James Werstak, 11/29/2008

I have owned my Crossfire convertible for 3 1/2 years and still love to drive it. The only drawback is first gear on the manual transmission which is way too low. From second gear on up it runs strong. The original Continental tires drum and hum right around 17- 20 mph. and OK after that. I have had them trued and rebalanced which helped for a short while. They will soon be replaced with a different top name manufacturer. Gonna keep cruising with the top down!

Fun little guy

Alex, 12/02/2009

Since my first time i saw i felt in love with it, shopped around and got it finally, once having it it's been fun everytime i get on the wheel, it runs and looks great. I loved the stereo, dropping the top down and running it fast, it has some good handling and acceleration..eh, average. I think you shouldn't own it if you're taller than 5'9 though, because space is limited. Parts are hard to find and expencive.

High Mileage No Problem

Mark Evans, 04/26/2018
Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is basically a stripped down Mercedes SLK 320. Not all dealers service this car, so check with Chrysler dealerships first. A Great car that does 1g. on the skidpad!

Love my Crossfire

GGGUY, 12/01/2008

Bought my Crossfire Limited Roadster a few months ago. Car had 13,000 miles and cost 17,600.00 after a little haggling. My old car was a 1997 Mazda Miata. What a difference. The Crossfire looks better, rides better, gets good gas mileage and could blow the doors off the Miata. Can't wait til spring. It's cold and slippery here in the great white north. Crossfires are not winter cars.

Fun!

CrossfireChick, 06/28/2009

I've been wanting a convertible for a while. I was waiting to buy my Corvette but this car caught my eye. It's sexy, fun and incredible to drive. I love the stares as I'm driving or parked. On warm sunny FL days, going topless (the car, not me) is incredible. Super fun! Hope to keep this car for a long time.

CROSSFUNER

R Frye, 06/11/2005

Wife and I bolth fell in love with design Bought it just for fun car and it is all of that,and more. Added bonus is we live not far from wine country , in any direction. We found with top down trunk holds overnite stuff plus two cases of wine. With top up five cases So we are looking foward to driving all summer.

My dream car

Lee, 07/09/2005

I love this baby! I even had a policeman stop me and tell me what a great looking hot car this was! This car rides like a dream. Very comfortable seats and lots of bells and whistles to play with. Only drawback is no trunk space....maybe just enough to put in a small overnight duffle bag. This is one great hot car!!!!

Great Car

joe faughnan, 08/16/2005

This is a fun car to drive and it really turn the heads of people that are standing on the side of the road or in vehicle we pass. Every time I have to get gas, some other driver almost always asks for a "tour" of this vehicle. Very distinctive design that I still get positive comments on. Some folks in the trade magazines have complained that the motor is "too small", yet this car has been driven above 145 mph. I don't know how much bigger an engine is needed. There has never been a mechanical problem with this car. It was recalled once for a new radio with a better display screen, as the original one "washed out" in the sunlight. All this and a 70,000 mile/7 year warranty.

11000 Miles in 6 Months!

J Santiago, 11/04/2005

Wow! I drove 11,000 Miles in 6 months! Had a ball driving every mile of it. Drove it to Chicago & Nobody had my car (they all had imports that cost double!) But it turned heads, even when my car was dirty with all the brake dust. Thought about getting the 6spd, but didn't think that was too practical-got the autostick, gives u control when u want it. The auto drop- top is awesome.Interior is super sharp (vanilla & black leather)& the free luggage was a great bonus! Don't miss the lack of trunk space, (that's why I have a dodge dakota too)the sound system is great w/subwoofers.My only complaint is that darn cupholder.You need a spill proof mug if u are drinking coffee.I love it!Funnest car ever

Love My Xfi!

Brian, 03/11/2006

I had previously looked at them upon release but decided the price was a little too much. I JUMPED at the chance when the emp price was released on them. This car is almost perfect. There aren't many in my area, so naturally everyone stares and asks me about it constantly. I cannot goto a gas station without someone talking to me about it. I demo'd an s2000, rx8 and a 350z before buying and decided on the smoother ride over that slight more power the 350 had. I can say this is a luxury sports car without hesitation. The service is a little pricey on the car, dont let a salesman fool you. I nearly died when I got a $125 oil change bill. (9qt synth and MB filter)

The ding

DINGER, 03/23/2006

Cramped interior, slow pick up, headlights, poor fuel economy, poor seats do not recline back far

My Yellow convertible

Faith, 06/18/2005

My husband surprised me with this yellow crossfire convertible..which I love. It is the perfect size, has great speed, is fun to drive, and I get many compliments as well as inquiries about it. We plan to pay it off and it is a keeper. I like how it handles, the gas mileage is great..and we have taken it on some fun trips.

Traded in my Jaguar for Crossfire!

Keith, 11/28/2005

I bought this car and traded in my leased Jaguar 4 months early! I was debating between a BWM z4 or the crossfire. I am sooo happy with my choice. The car is great from looks to driving. I get a lot of comments and looks. The top down makes this car look like a million dollars. In fact, most people who ask what kind of car it is ask "did you pay about $50k?" I plan on keeping this one a long time.

A Real Fun Car

Bob Komoroski, 03/31/2006

This is one of the best sports cars that I have ever owned. The only disapointment is the poor cheap cupholder in the center arm rest. The pick up on the car is very nice and the exterior design superior. Glad I made the purchase when I did.

Great car except fuel

SRT-6, 11/04/2006

I purchased my Crossfire in May. It is able to drive for everyday use but only for the riches, because the fuel consumption is less more than 17 L/100 km.

A better looking MB-SLK!

wyrfox, 11/16/2007

After careful looking and research, the option of getting MB's engineering and Chrysler's art deco styling was too compelling. I found my Xfire on Craiglist and it was love at first sight. The car is fun to drive, gets great milage (27-29 HWY) and as the Caddy ads say, "the car returns the favor!" Bit of warning, the dealerships are flakey with only a few Xfire trained techs, but the private MB folks around will understand every aspect of the car. An Mopar will sell parts to anyone.

A Bit Outdated

Brian, 05/25/2018
2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

All Crossfires are a bit outdated in terms of technology unless you upgrade the infotainment system. The SR-6 is wicked fast.. Loved the whine of the supercharged engine!!!

Awesome

Car guy, 03/30/2020
Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Why awesome? Bought new in 2005. Have never had any problem. Do regular filter and oil changes at computer suggestion, Mobile 1 0w40. Fun to drive, looks great, 32,000 miles, always a show stopper (yellow roadster Ltd)..Also a great road car considering it is a 2005... no chance I will sell!

Sleak and Sporty

DiabloPro316, 05/02/2004

Alot of people tell me when they see me in public that it is a sleak or sporty looking car and ask me what it is I tell them a Crossfire and usually give a little show of rubber burn on my way out just to show it has power to go with looks.

Sharp rock solid fun sport car

John J., 05/29/2018
Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Check top condition... rear window will fall out due to glue failure after 11 years.

The two seater convertible I've always wanted!

Larry Vaughn, 08/29/2018
2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I haven't had the car long enough to write a proper review

Was Good While It Lasted

BCM, 05/29/2005

Very nice car for the money. Ok, the negatives.. the top did not disengage easily. Once I found just the right way to turn the handle, it worked like a charm. Cruise control lever gets in the way of turn signals. Also when using cruise control it does not keep the same speed when going up hills. Needs premium fuel so make sure you have plenty of cash. Although a summer car, it was not bad in snow with the traction control and antilock breaks especially in the mountains of VA. Very nice pick up for the base V6. I am sure the SRT-6 would be radically faster. I also like the speed shift automatic. It gives more pickup faster when engaged... just make sure you remember to change gears!

Luv my convertible

magoo, 07/24/2005

Had a Porsche Boxster S and traded it for this car--best decision I have made when car shopping! It handles like a dream and the graphite grey color is beautiful with all the metal flake! I thought the luggage was a nice touch and very unexpected on my part.

awesome

05 chrysler crossfir, 08/01/2005

the chrysler crossfire convertible is an awsome car to drive the handling performance are great. has totally changed my mind about owning a chrysler

my crossfire

crossfire roadster, 02/27/2005

The crossfire is very enjoyable to drive. yes it could use more low end torque. the seats could be a little more comfortable. The car is very responsive while driving. the problem i have found is that it is so new that even the dealership cannot service it correctly. they have not figured out the computer download to some of the features.

Crossfire Review, 2005

Robert Barclay, 05/17/2005

The only drawback is that can't carry anything in the car, not even golf clubs (have to put in front seat). fantastic car to drive. I have people constantly come up and admire the car.

cool ride

david macdonald, 05/17/2005

I simply love this car, it rides smooth and quiet, has plenty of power, get more attention than I need or want. Talk about a chick magnent! The top works smooth and with no effort.The sound system is great!

Lots of Looks

Bridge, 06/02/2005

My Crossifre Roadster is an amazing car. It is my "mid life ENTITLEMENT" car! People actually go out of their way to tell me how beautiful the car is. I is fun to drive, and very comfortable. The seats are great for my back. I just wish the cup holder was larger and the navigation system was a little easier to use. My wife thinks the luggage is an amazing feature.

Fun!

Happy in Dallas, 06/10/2005

This is the most fun I have had since I drove an SL in the mid 80's. The performance is great, but what do you expect from a car built in Germany. The style is so much better than the SLK, and it's basically the same car. I get compliments and questions about it almost daily. It handles well on the road and gets reasonable gas mileage.

our crossfire

bboop1956, 06/12/2005

we just bought our crossfire. SO far so good,, we LUV it, its a fun car to drive and you get alot of looks in it,, its just a sharp looking little sports car, plenty of leg room. its great having the top down. the top is easy to put down also. the only thing i dont like is when the top is up u do have a bad blind spot so you do have to be careful. not sure if a person taller than 6-5 would like it,, my son is 6-4 and the top of the windsheild is at his eye level.its just an all around nice car

Oh my...

jbjtkbw00, 06/13/2005

While not my first two seater (I've had to very fun to drive Honda CRX's), this is definitely the most fun and quickest that I've ever owned. Yes, I'm a new owner, but I've put a few hundred miles on it in just over 24 hours because I just had to drive it all over Orlando. This car turns heads and gets me the looks. The lines are so smooth on this car and anyone that appreciates the classics should love the trim on this baby. The engine has a low lion's growl to it. Not as storng as a Viper, but it's right there. Tight on corners and quick from the stoplight. I hope to return to update this review in a few months. Don't miss out on this car!!!

1 year and still loving it!

Matt M TX, 07/11/2005

The styling of these cars is what drew me to them. I always get compliments everywhere I go and you don't see too many of them around so they stand out. The engine is smooth with a nice broad torque band and decent power. The car begs to be driven fast so I do wish there was more on tap but still not bad. The interior is not for everyone. I find it cozy but some may find it cramped. The car sits low so plan on a bit of climbing to get in the door. The fit and finish is great and the materials look good. The convertible top is high quality and surprisingly quiet. My first year has been a joy. This car exudes fun with a nearly perfect balance of performance, comfort, and economy.

Second Childhood/ Age 65

Max, 08/13/2005

I have 4,000 miles on the car, mostly in the neighborhood.. I feel like a "traveling" sales person for chrysler! Everyone wants to chat about the car!! The crossfire luggage was an unexpected bonus, although the roll- about wont fit the trunk!

I Ain't never had Too Much Fun !

dobro, 09/25/2005

Roadsters are for FUN, period. I've owned MGs, a Miata, and have driven a dozen other ragtops,and the Crossfire is the most FUN of them all. As Crossfire demand slackened, I got a screaming deal on a barely used 6 speed Limited Roadster, and I still have to pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming. It's as if a Cadillac had a drunken fling with a Boxter, and the result is this precision German machine wearing a rodeo belt buckle. Great handling, great top mechanism, great stereo, great aesthetics. A keeper.

Exceptionally well made car

Marc B. Mankuta, 11/05/2005

This is a Mercedes Benz, in Karmann built, Chrysler clothing. The car looks fantastic, drives beautifully and is one of the best built cars I've owned. The interior materials feel first rate and the convertible top mechanism looks like mechanical ballet going up and down. So far there is nothing I don't like about the car. It is a steal at current market prices. Not a sports car to compete with Corvettes or Porsches on performance but a beautiful, open top, comfortable cruiser to compete or exceed them on all other levels most especially price.

This is the one

Ron, 12/24/2005

Never have I had so much fun driving a car! Everytime I drive it someone comments, whether it's a "thumbs-up" or something else. One of my best purchases!!!!

Daily driver's can be fun

Cobra953, 12/31/2005

I have been driving this car everyday for the last 11 months. It's fun, fast, and reliable. I find it can corner with the best of them, and although it is not a HP giant, it will run the interstates and two lanes with power to spare. I have had it back to the dealer twice, for oil changes. That's it. Not a squeak or rattle.

51050