Used 2003 Chevrolet Venture Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Venture for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Tail lights and headlights

sherrington, 12/15/2013
LS AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I see numerous complaints about tail lights and headlights for the Venture here. I've had and cured both issues. The brake lights burn out becuase of water collecting in the tail light assembly. The seals are unable to keep it out at highways speeds. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the tail light assembly to drain water out. Be sure and drill through the bottom bulb chamber as well. Headlights come filled with nitrogen. Don't as why. If the nitrogen leaks out they will fog up. You can change the bulbs without draining the nitrogen, but a new head light assmebly is available online for about the cost of a new bulb. That said, my Venture is reliable, comfortable and roomy.

Reliable Van, Some Mechanical Probelms

akk050708, 02/05/2014
LS Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van in 2010 with 100,000 miles on it already. Here it is Feb.2014 and I have put almost 71,000 miles on it. When I bought it, it had a transmission slipping problem. I drive it daily with this problem & as long as you don't gun it at a dead stop, & give it time to shift from reverse to drive it doesn't slip. But does have tranny issues. I have also had my ABS go out at about 140,000 miles. I still can drive it daily & has never failed me even with those issues. I have had some break repairs done, but other than that it's been regular routine maintenance. I would buy this van again if they had newer models. It's been extremely reliable, never stranded me & my family.

Chevy Venture 2003

angelam1, 10/01/2012
Cargo Van Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I own the car and it now has 204,000 miles on it. I am so attached I am finding it hard to buy another. I love the van, lifetime repairs have cost about 500.00, which isn't bad. 2 cons to the car, heater isn't the best, doesn't get as hot as other brands I have road in and doesn't blow strong. Electrical system has always had a querk. If I change one light thats out (tail or blinker) another one will go out after. I have spoke to other owners with the same problem. But with all that, it still has been very reliable, great in the snow, reliable, love it!

not bad

thisguy3, 09/05/2012
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Recived this car with 95000 miles from family member, and have a mostly possitive experience. The V6 has plenty of low end torque, so much that we used to use it as a pickup for lumber and things, steering has very good feel for a minivan, although is a bit heavy at low speeds, and is fairly comfortable.

Decent Car

ZeusCharles, 02/18/2010
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Now has 112,000 miles on it. Only major repair was the manifold gasket, but GM covered this. Outside of normal maintenance, no other issues. Steady performer and still idles as smooth as when bought. I expect to run this to 200,000 miles.

Dependable, Comfortable - I like

Bob, 05/29/2010
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought 3 years old and is now 4 years later and I am very pleased over all with this Chevy. Had to replace the manifold gaskets, but no problem since. No other major problems. Minors: wheel bearing, spark plugs, cat converter, tires - nothing major. Now at 104,000 mi, I plan on keeping it. Have recommended to family members since resale is low. Great mini-van!

Expensive to own

gunner29, 07/09/2011
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned this van for over 4 years and are finally selling it. It is reliable as far as driving is concerned but expensive to own. The rear brake lights are always burning out. We have also had to replace the windshield wiper motor twice, the ball joints, the rear shocks and springs, and now the rear load leveler is broken. It is also starting to rust out all along the bottom. The gas mileage is okay if you do a lot of highway driving. Use synthetic oil for oil changes. We have put on over 130,000 kilometers since we have bought this vehicle (90% highway) and this van has not broke down once while driving. We do most of our driving with the van loaded with family gear.

comfy with extras, but serious flaws

busdriverjosh, 05/28/2011
LS Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this used and had a transmission solenoid go out in two months. Soon after the ABS and AWD started to quit. You can turn the ignition off to reset it but it's still a pain. Also, the wipers have a design flaw that allows the area to fill with snow and ice so the spring breaks if it's not cleaned out before use. We like it and it has a lot of room and great features, but it's just not reliable.

Nomerous complaints about taillights

kewldude_001, 01/05/2012
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my van for 6 months. Purchased from a family member. Having a few problems, i thought I would look up some info and found the many complaints about the taillights. I found I had the same issue. With burning taillights out and turning signal (driver side) To help people who might have this problem try this. At night turn lights on and hit the brake pedal. Look for you turn signal lights on you dash to glow slightly. If so the plastic around the connector melted and is allowing current to travel down brake light and turn light and vise versa. If you have some knowledge, take you brake light fixture out and look at your plug. If you see the signs of melting that is your problem!

Functional, But Boring

Papi, 10/12/2010
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van with low miles and the dealership was willing to do anything to get us into this van. We had zero problems except for the seat trim falling off, headlights full of water, and a loose windshield seal, until about 70K miles. Then the wheel bearings went, the transmission started shifting erratically, and the headlights were completely opaque. Sometimes the radio won't shut off, and the electric door is wonky. Windshield washer tank leaks. Have replaced 12 bulbs in 4 months and the light sockets were melted! Brake lights come and go. Acceleration is measured with a calendar.

MONEY PIT

moneypit10, 01/14/2014
Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Since I bought this van at 22,000 miles it's needed a $1200 engine seal, new windshield wiper motor, new headlights because they leak water into them. Now it's at 50,000 miles and it needs a tune up. I wonder what else will go wrong with it. It just keeps costing me money. This has not been a good vehicle to own. The only good thing about this van is that it's 11 years old with only 50,000 miles on it and the interior and exterior look like new. Too bad what's under the hood can't be more reliable. I give this 10 thumbs down and 20 raspberries. I will never buy another chevy.

Great Purchase as a used car

djustice, 10/01/2008
LT Entertainer Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 4th mini-van. Three Plymouth Voyagers were huge headaches. Purchased this vehicle used, new vans are out until the last of three daughters are out of college. The van is very comfortable with 8 passenger seating. The second row middle seat can be folded down to reveal cupholders and doubles as an armrest. Storage is great. Handles well and is very nice to drive. Our grandchildren love the DVD player. Great on vacations. About 24 MPG highway, loaded with people and luggage. At about 65,000 miles it required a transmission overhaul but was covered by my extended warranty. Have had some problems with drivers side power window. Overall we love this vehicle. Great buy as a used car.

Excellence performance for 110000 miles

AlwaysChevy, 08/14/2009
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car brand new. Liked the 8 seats. Computer shows average gas mileage as 25 mph. Reliable performance for all these years. I strongly recommend a Chevrolet minivan if you want a good vehicle for carrying 8 people for long distances.

Good for about 55K

gotribe2, 04/23/2011
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in 2003 from dirtbag Bob Serpentini's now defunct Aurora dealership. The rust on the passenger side rear wheelwell is epic. The windshield wiper motor and wiper transmission have a mind of their own since 45K, 2 replacements at $300 a piece. Now the windshield has a leak somewhere too. Once this thing was out of warranty it started crapping out. NO GM HERE EVER AGAIN.

Proud of my 2003 Chevy Venture Minivan

keeley00, 01/02/2012
Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van in Feb of 2006 with 130000 miles already on it. Im not sure how the previous owners maintained the van, but since I bought it I have changed the oil every 4000-5000 miles. I had to have the transmission rebuilt in 2007, but it now has 270000 miles on it and a daily driver still. The other issues I have had with this van has been the poor headlight vision and frequent blown headlight bulbs and turn signals due to leakage into the headlights. I am very pleased with this van overall and if I was in the market for another van I would buy this same one. Just an fyi from a venture owner.

2003 Chevy Venture Review

md2011, 09/20/2011
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in Dec 05'. Had 30K on it. it has been a very dependable vehicle for the past 6 years. Impressed with the mpg even when the van is loaded and have the ext version (gotten 28mpg traveling from NYC to North Carolina). Maintenance has been: oil changes every 4 months, cabin air filter, air intake filter replaced at 45K, transmission fluid and filter changed at 45K. Things that have broke are, glovebox handle, headlights are fogged, rear seatbelt stuck. The only issues I have with the vehicle are, poor headlight illumination, mushy brakes (no matter what we've done to improve them), and taillight keeps burning out. Overall a great vehicle!!

Is it American quality or just bad luck?

PE, 06/05/2003
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased a Chevy Venture less than two years ago and have already had to put nearly $2000 in repair costs into it. At 38000 miles the ignition switch failed while I was trying to leave the grocery store in a snow storm. After waiting three hours for the promised emergency road side assistance, I ended up walking 3 miles back to my house. At 48000 miles the AC condenser developed a leak. Currently in the shop and only costing us $1000. We had a Ford before this and had same bad luck. My honda is the only thing we have never needed repair work on (this with 140,000 miles). Should I try Dodge next?

A Venture Review

Mcfrdmn, 11/26/2002

Standard Driving for a basic van No more No less

Great van

copo, 10/26/2003
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This van drives like a car. Out of the other vans I drove this van gives more bang for the buck. It has good power,yet good gas mileage. I got the Warner Brother package for only $22,400.

Worst Vehicle I ever purchased

John1111, 11/08/2002
LT Entertainer Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

They forgot to give us all the little extra like the netting for the back. We found stains on the chairs.

Discontinued for good reason.

Iversjohnson, 04/23/2009
Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Year one - transmission rebuild, brakes gone at 22000, interior lighting failing, engine overheating in summer. Year two - additional interior lighting failure, power door locks no longer function, lift gate strap pulls off, arm rests come loose on driver door and front passenger door, engine still overheating after several repairs. Year three - down to two or three dash lights no center console lights left, engine still overheating after additional repairs, transmission shifting hard and clunking (dealer replacement in year one). Year four plus - barely driveable despite regular maintenance and numerous dealer repairs.

Never Again

Never again, 01/12/2009
Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Started with electrical problems early on, door latch mech. fixed 2 times, wanted me to pay for the 3rd. Then replacement of a failed lower intake manifold gasket - read dex-cool - $700.00. Now service engine soon light flashing - helacoile rocker stu. & hardware $239. on 1/2007. Same thing on 11/2007 - $239...and my favorite 1/12/2009 - 6 failed, will fix for $2,500. Worst car experience I've ever had..$3,100. for a dealer trade-in - I can't even do that, not worth fixing. Thinking of painting it yellow and parking it in front of the dealership.

Don't Buy It.

Canadian Owner, 05/18/2009
Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it brand new in 2003. Regret the purchase. Resale value is poor. Coolant is leaking from manifold intake. Transmission problems. Air conditioning not working. Junk! No Wonder that gm is in trouble.

Good Vehicle

NCMom, 01/21/2008
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van brand new because I got a great deal. It's a little cheesy (needs extended visors, pockets on back of front seat, road noise a little high, fit and finish not very well done), but I find it comfortable, easy to drive, and thus far, extremely reliable.

Excellent ride

Walt, 08/17/2009
Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Despite the real rating, we manage about 25 mpg on our Venture. It now has 184,000 miles and probably thanks to regular servicing it has never offered any serious problems. Little things like brake linings and light bulbs are to be expected, and the only complaint I have is that one headlight has condensed water inside it! Comfort is wonderful, size and space is fantastic, it looks like new and it is totally and absolutely dependable.

For The love of God this is Bad!!!!!!!

Joe Smith , 09/08/2009
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this van and have had nothing but problems. At 60k miles the headgaskets blew that was 3 grand then the front end had all types of problems. Next at 97k miles the radiator went, another 700 bucks down the drain and on top of that the transmission is starting to slip. My suggestion is don't buy a gm! My 1994 Jeep grand Cherokee has never had to have any Major repairs so from now on if I buy American I'm buying Chrysler

DONT DO IT!!!

BAD Deal!, 10/13/2009
Warner Bros. AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This van is a piece of junk!! I got this after owning a 7 year old pontiac van that I never had a problem with. This Venture has already had tons of problems!! I have had to replace the headlights 6 times, both of the front blinkers blow out, the window doesn't roll up, the real windshield wiper doesn't work, now there is something wrong with the transmission. Not to mention the fact that it only had 80,000 miles on it when I got it and about every 3 weeks in between oil changes you have to add a quart of oil. Oh yeah, and the drivers seat handle broke off as well as the hatch handle. I am not hard on my vehicles and have never owned something this junky! Not worth it!!

Excellent mileage,otherwise average.

Duroch, 12/31/2009
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Anything electronic is troublesome. (Daytime running lights only work if it is foggy. Oxygen sensor died.Heater controls intermittently quit.) Heater became weak in year two. No mechanical problems after 6 years driving.I get up to 34 mpg(Can) and I am usually loaded.

Good Van Resonable Price

Steve, 02/05/2010
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our van new in 2003 in time for the birth our twin boys. Comfortable, reliable vehicle for a family of 5. We have taken several long trips to Disney World, Nashville and Boston through all kinds of weather with no problems. We currently have over 80,000 miles on the vehicle with no major repairs just regular maintenance. Looking forward to taking our next road trip our family has spent many happy miles driving in this van and expect to spend many more over the next several years. Wish Chevy still made this van so I could buy another when I replace my Chevy S- 10 blazer (which still runs great)with 180,000 miles, this is my 6th Chevy vehicle, others all ran great for 200,000 miles

Happy with Chevy Venture WB Edition

chevy fan, 08/17/2002
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We wanted more room, so we traded in our Chevy Blazer for the Venture. We were close to buying the Montana Vision Van, but were able to get a better deal from Chevy. The Venture has loads of features geared toward families on the move...DVD player w/remote, in-dash 6 CD changer, air compressor, rear organizer, seating for 8...I could go on and on. We are extremely pleased!

Bang for the buck Minivan

qamarmu, 08/19/2002
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Replace my 2000 Chevy blazer with 2002 Venture WB edition. Nice minivan, saw all other vans and found every thing in this van and then some. With 2 kids its fun to go out for long drive in this DVD equiped van and carying all the bags and toys in not a problem. Chevy enginers should consider the windsheild wipers, Odometer rest, cruise contol and center consoule as improvements to the van.

Great Minivan with lots for goodies

Farheen, 09/19/2002
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this WB edition specially for our kids, and long drives and commutes. Lots of room, and 8 people can sit without any problem. Fuel consumption is good, and we are getting 18/26 as per books. Engine is fine, but need more power, as some time feel that this big box is not moving. There is no RPM gauge in Venture, but in other sibling (Montana) its there..over all great buy, saved over 7000 on msrp.

Warner Bros. Chevy Venture

Manx Cats, 11/17/2002
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Venture that we have purchased. The first was in 1996. We purchased the Venture again due to the exceptional performance that we had with our first car. Not problem over all the years that we had the van. The new van is just like the old one as far as reliability so far and the two issues that we had with the first ( lighted mirrors and horn honking when car locked) were corrected on the newer model. We are very pleased with this car.

Too many problems

fedup26, 07/23/2011
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

With 89K miles, I have replaced: head gasket, power window motor & switches, tail lights, transmission cable, computer chip, engine mount. In addition, the latch for the glove compartment is broken, the sliding side door does not work. Also, the piece holding the power window motor has deteriorated. Can easily be replaced at a cost of $700 by ordering the part from Canada. Now, I'm looking at worst case senario a rebuilt engine (not going to happen), best case senario another $1500 bill. I wil follow my kids' advice - get a new car. I will never purchase another GM product.

Service gets to see it alot

Kristin68, 07/23/2003
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have to say when I first got the Venture, I was thrilled. It fit 8 people comfortably, the kids had room and entertainment. However, in 1 year I have had the brakes replaced and the rotors. The rotors cannot be turned on a Venture....strike one Then we had to get a new Hub Kit...the wheel bearing went....strike 2 Not sure I would get this one again. Expensive van and something we purchase as a safe reliable family vehicle.

My vacation

jayb, 07/17/2003
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My first Venture was a lemon being towed three times in one week. The last time being the Friday I was leaving for Vacation. My plans where to go to Florida with my grandchildren and spending the day in a dealer ship (Meisner)was not my idea of a good start. After getting a lawyer and GM buying that one we really liked the van so we went to a different dealership and purchase our new one. We have not had any problems with this one and its great when you have 5 grandchildren.

my van

me myself and my van, 07/24/2003
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have my van about 2yrs and I still love driving it around. I have 4 full size teenager boys and one dog + one husband. We all fit in the our van very comfortable.

DON'T BUY CHEVROLET

JETAMIS, 07/25/2003
Cargo Van Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

tHE POOREST FIT AND FISISH I HAVE EVER SEEN ON AN AUTOMOBILE. POOR BRAKES...HAD TO BE REPLACED AT 12000 MILES, POOR ENGINE IDLE...YOU NAME IT THIS CAR HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT. THE DEALERSHIP CAN NOT/WILL NOT REPAIR THE PROBLEM WITH ENGINE IDLE.

Best mini van in the market

Diego , 08/06/2003
Warner Bros. Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is by far the best family vehicle I've ever owned.

Great Van

Charles Ring, 08/16/2003
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The Venture is hands down the best van my wife and I have ever driven.The Dodge Mini Van we previously had serious problems.The paint and head liner fell off,body rattles,drive selector fell off,air conditioner vents will not stay on and the ride was harsh. The Venture by contrast rides very well,interior quality is outstanding,gas mileage is good,handling is superior to the Dodge,has built in sound proofing for a much quieter ride than the Dodge and has a much more livable and comfortable interior.In short,the Venture is superior in every way.

great auto

ronbo, 08/17/2003
LT AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

great auto delux model have 42000 on and going strong , never been back for any major problem . would recomend it to anyone

My dog van

caninetrainer, 08/19/2003
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in my '99 Venture LS for the 03 LT. The cab space seems smaller and I miss the lumbar support. I do not like the universal front seat adjustments. I also do not like the digital odometer. It is hard for me to read. I also do not like the audio controls on the steering wheel. I do like the way it drives and handles the road. However, I wish the rear seat would fold like the Honda Odyssey. Also I think the automatic sliding door is on the wrong side. And why could they not put splash guards on this expensive vehicle? Also I have a hard time with closing the hood. It takes several tries.

i love my van

eldockside, 08/22/2003
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

THE CHEVY VENTURES ARE BUILT AT THE GENERAL MOTORS, DORAVILLE PLANT IN DORAVILLE, GA.I HAVE SEEN THEM BEING BUILT AND I KNOW PEOPLE WHO BUILT THEM, THEY ARE HARD WORKING AMERICANS AND I WILL SUPPORT THEM BY BUYING AMERICAN, AND I CAN SAY I LOVE MY TRUCK, I STAND FIRM WITH THE PEOPLE WHO BUILD THEM, MY MONEY WILL STAY IN THIS COUNTRY, I WILL NOT BUY FROM OVERSEAS, THE FOLKS I KNOW AT DORAVILLE HAVE CHILDREN AND I WILL SUPPORT THEM,I HAVE FOUND NOT ONE PROBLEM WITH MY VAN, IT IS A PLEASURE TO DRIVE, HAPPY MOTORING

My Venture

Saydee, 09/03/2003
LS Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't had any problems yet. Nice size, comfortable and runs well.

My First Venture

LIGram, 07/18/2003
LT Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Changing from a SUV was a bit of a challange but from the start, this vehicle was easy to enter, easy to operate and has plenty of room to take the entire family with us. One must for us is a vehicle that we can take out of state family members on tours of New York City and Ocean villages. Both are easily accomplished with our Venture. I love to shop and with the 3rd seats down can get about any furniture inside.

Venture is the best

RJ, 08/07/2003
LS AWD 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We were so impressed with our first Venture we bought another one and kept the first. Have had no trouble with either vehicle. The first is a 1998.

Great Van

CHASA, 09/03/2003
LT Entertainer Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great for family with lots of room. great flexability for all family functions. Great choice of options for different needs.

New veh review

Billk, 09/10/2003
LS Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle gets around very easily and is responsive to driver inputs.The acceleration is quite adequate for a vehicle of this size.Having driven a Windstar with a larger engine during my evaluation process, I find the smaller engine very adequate and the fuel economy offers a savings in fuel costs.

Why I own a Venture

Barbara Hoekstra, 09/24/2003
LS Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 1998 LS Chev Venture. I love it. The mileage is excellent and it is a joy to drive. Driving on long trips is a pleasure. I would buy another one in a few years if I decide to sell it.

A Really Good Van!

F Baldwin, 09/24/2003
Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

No problems through 6,000 miles to date. Excellent performance, a very satisfactory Van.

51050