Used 2012 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Traction DANGER!!!
By Cece

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Today 9/9/2018 I was on my way to church this morning. I get not even a third of the way there and my car takes me from 45 mph to a quick 15 mph without warning!!!!!!!!!!!! I pulled over and just shut my car off because I was scared. This is not the first time that this has happened to me. The last time it happened I was on the highway coming back from chemotherapy and I had my kids in the car. THIS IS NOT SAFE!!!!! Whenever I did call my dealership and took it up there for them to see, I could not duplicate the issue. I do not feel safe in my car and I honestly don't want it anymore. I need to have a car that I can depend on to get to my appointments. I have already had to fight one HUGE monster with my health, I surely don't need anything else to happen to me or my children.

Do not buy a 2012 Traverse
By Kari

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Chevy Traverse in 2015 with 35,000 miles on it. It was a great car for the first 25,000 miles I had it. The alternator went out at 60,000 miles, which cost 1600.00 to replace. Luckily, my extended warranty covered that repair. However, at 84,000 miles, the timing chain jumped time and ruined my engine. I no longer had my warranty coverage at that time. It cost 7200.00 to get the engine replaced. I had to get a loan to replacement engine. I now owe $20,000 on a car that is only worth around $8,000 trade in. Chevy is aware of the problem in the 2012 Traverses and I have heard of so many with the same problem, but Chevy will not do anything to right their wrong. I think a class action law suit needs to be filed against Chevy for the timing chain issue.

Best Car Ever
By Stephen Leibach

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Car was great gas mileage a little better than advertised. Very comfortable road very good low road nose. I loved that car

This engine holds a bad secret
By Domonic Webster

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

While this vehicle has many great features it hides a bad thing that will sink you. The engine has timing chains that have a known defect. I wish I knew this before I spent my money. The repair cost is a new engine which will cost about $5,000 and takes about 8-15 hours to replace. When all is said and done you will spend $10,000 to repair. If you own a earlier version 2007-2009 it’s covered. If you buy a 2012 it will not be.

Don't waste your money.
By Michele Lemole

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been the single owner of this vehicle. It has had problems from the get go. With in the first 6 months of owning it the radio had to be changed out 3 times. After they changed it there is an annoying rattle in the dash. Chevy says it's normal noise. REALLY!!! There was also a recall on the air bag system as well as the seat belts. It took them 3 tries to get the airbag system to work properly. Makes you feel real safe. At around 40,000 miles the compressor for the A/C died at the cost of $1000. Of course it occurred after the 36,000 mile warranty was up. Now at only 5yrs old the alternator has died taking along with it the battery. The to the tune of just under $1000 as well. Also the blower for the rear A/C has stopped working. This vehicle is a money Pit!