Used 2012 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews

Used Traverse for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

This engine holds a bad secret

Domonic Webster, 04/14/2018
LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

While this vehicle has many great features it hides a bad thing that will sink you. The engine has timing chains that have a known defect. I wish I knew this before I spent my money. The repair cost is a new engine which will cost about $5,000 and takes about 8-15 hours to replace. When all is said and done you will spend $10,000 to repair. If you own a earlier version 2007-2009 it’s covered. If you buy a 2012 it will not be.

Just Another Traverse Horror Story

HJP, 01/31/2019
LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Words will fail to express the complete disappointment we have for this vehicle and for GM's unwillingness to do anything about it. Bought it used in the Fall of 2014. Gave us some hiccups over the 4 years and e.g., @ ~50K miles we drove it e.g., power steering pump failed completely (not uncommon for these vehicles). Otherwise great car up for the spouse. Good size, handled well in modest snow. MPG was horrible but an overall smooth, quiet comfortable ride. She loved it.....Up until the transmission failed catastrophically and w/o warning late in the fall of 2018 @ ~115K miles. As described in other posts and throughout the web the car - again w/o power warning decelerated the dash lit up with all types of warning messages and pretty little lights. Door locks began to lock and unlock and warning chimes started sounding. Was not sure if the car needed a mechanic or a priest to perform an exorcism. This car has been faithfully maintained with the same dealer for all 4 years. Was initially told the original battery may have done bad things to the transmission control unit which in turn smoked the tranny. Replaced the battery since that was the recommendation ~$450!. Yup - tranny was smoked. Still owed 18 mos on the loan so - after much deliberation and saving for the repair - we elected to replace to the transmission. Some headaches with the install - getting the new TCU to talk to the main computer. They get that solved and dealer tech takes the car out on the road to test the repair and the motor seizes up! Again no warning, nothing!. Mechanic tells me he is sorry and is sympathetic and advises me to call GM.... something about how the transmission must have streessed the motor even though there was not data to support the engine over revving or otherwise being stressed. I am now $4K into a repair with nothing to show for it and now looking at another $7K to replace the motor... and, oh, we still owe $6K on gthe original loan. So, all in, looking at $17.5K on a 7 year old vehicle. BTW $17K was was we paid for it in 2014!!!! Not holding out hope that my good friends at GM Customer Service (the incident is now at Tier 2 Cust Service) will do anything - why would they, right? I am a 5 time Chev owner - just bought a Silverado from them.... There is just now way that a vehicle at this age and miles should have failed so completely - not in this day and age. GM should be ashamed!

2012 Traverse 30-Day Review

nurseratched, 07/08/2012
LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is my daily commuter from the mountains to the city. The Traverse is exceptionally comfortable to drive and handles the steep and curvy mountain roads with ease. Plenty of passing power and, despite some of the other complaints, I think the visibility to the side and rear is fine. I've never been in a quieter car...little to no road or wind noise. Everything is within easy reach and the interior is cavernous! Even though there is seating for 8 I don't use the 3rd row. The rear is strictly used for cargo and comes in handy with monthly trips to Costco! I looked at several other models and decided the Traverse topped them all.

Traction DANGER!!!

Cece, 09/10/2018
LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Today 9/9/2018 I was on my way to church this morning. I get not even a third of the way there and my car takes me from 45 mph to a quick 15 mph without warning!!!!!!!!!!!! I pulled over and just shut my car off because I was scared. This is not the first time that this has happened to me. The last time it happened I was on the highway coming back from chemotherapy and I had my kids in the car. THIS IS NOT SAFE!!!!! Whenever I did call my dealership and took it up there for them to see, I could not duplicate the issue. I do not feel safe in my car and I honestly don't want it anymore. I need to have a car that I can depend on to get to my appointments. I have already had to fight one HUGE monster with my health, I surely don't need anything else to happen to me or my children.

After One-Year, Very Happy w/Purchase

murdoughnut, 04/01/2013
LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The Good: Space (lots of it). Have fit five adults, two infants in car seats, a dog and a stroller in the car before. Cargo area is plenty big, even with the third row up; While heavy on acceleration, actually turns quite nimbly for its size; Comfortable ride in every seat - third row can accommodate a small adult for normal trips, and a larger male for short trips. Bad: Gas mileage (~17), cargo door not very wide/tall Overall: Would definitely buy again; this car fit my exact needs for something safe for my infant twin sons, large enough to carry their stuff, but stylish enough for a 32-year old man who refused to own/drive a minivan. Gas mileage sucks, but didn't buy for that.

12345...8