Used 2012 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Best Car Ever
By Stephen Leibach

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Car was great gas mileage a little better than advertised. Very comfortable road very good low road nose. I loved that car

This engine holds a bad secret
By Domonic Webster

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

While this vehicle has many great features it hides a bad thing that will sink you. The engine has timing chains that have a known defect. I wish I knew this before I spent my money. The repair cost is a new engine which will cost about $5,000 and takes about 8-15 hours to replace. When all is said and done you will spend $10,000 to repair. If you own a earlier version 2007-2009 it’s covered. If you buy a 2012 it will not be.

Don't waste your money.
By Michele Lemole

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have been the single owner of this vehicle. It has had problems from the get go. With in the first 6 months of owning it the radio had to be changed out 3 times. After they changed it there is an annoying rattle in the dash. Chevy says it's normal noise. REALLY!!! There was also a recall on the air bag system as well as the seat belts. It took them 3 tries to get the airbag system to work properly. Makes you feel real safe. At around 40,000 miles the compressor for the A/C died at the cost of $1000. Of course it occurred after the 36,000 mile warranty was up. Now at only 5yrs old the alternator has died taking along with it the battery. The to the tune of just under $1000 as well. Also the blower for the rear A/C has stopped working. This vehicle is a money Pit!

buying a 2012 chevy traverse in 2017
By billie

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

it is a suv

Done with Chevy/GM
By Mike

2012 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle certified pre-owned with 12,000 miles on it. The vehicle met expectations and had been reliable for the amount of driving I do. I put on 15-20,000 miles a year of mostly highway miles. The vehicle was well maintained and I kept up with the regular maintenance on it. Last week I was driving and suddenly seemed to lose power. The vehicle would not shift into third gear and when I made it home I also realized there was no reverse gear. I did a lot of research on the internet and quickly realized that this had been an issue on the 2007-2009 models with the wave plate. GM had actually extended the warranty on the models for those years to 120,000 miles. I took mine to the dealership and they agreed that it sounded like the same issue with the older models. I contacted GM and they said they would inquire with the dealer. When I heard back they offered to cover a mere 30% of the $5,000 repair. I didn't expect the repair to be done for free (maybe I should have because that's what they did with the older models with more mileage than mine), but there resolution was a slap in the face. This is obviously a manufacture defect that they don't want to take accountability for. At this point I'm looking to trade this lemon in and switch to a brand that will be a little more reliable.