Used 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Monte Carlo for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

2005 Monte Carlo LS

Dan, 04/12/2010
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my monte over 4 years ago used with about 20,000 miles, now I have a little over 123,000 miles and it still runs like new. I have had a few problems minor problems but i have spent less than $500 in repairs in over 100,000 miles. The car has good acceleration for passing and is fun to drive.

2005 Monte Carlo Supercharged SS

Eva, 01/18/2010
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my Monte SS used, but let me tell you it is a sweetheart. I am a middle aged woman who loves to drive fast. I have no problem holding the go pedal to the floor. Its also amuses me to shut off the traction control on the console and smoke the heck out of the front tires, some times I have to take off my high heels to make sure the pedal is completely pushed to the floor and I also like the feeling of power going up my leg driving in my stocking feet. Totally awesome car!!

Above average Monte Carlo

Raze, 02/20/2005
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The auto industry criticizes the Monte Carlo for being subpar, but it is actually a great vehicle. It has guts, and enough performance potential to put a smile on anybody's face. There are also many parts available for a good price. The car is also very reliable. I know people with Monte Carlos and they say that they never had a problem and neither have I. The interior design may be a little outdated, but it is comfortable and functional, so it works. Fuel economy is pretty good, and if you like the design then I guarantee that you will love the car. The low and wide stance helps give that car good handling and great stability on the highway. this car is actually much better than average.

My Baby

Barnzy, 05/19/2008
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Leased my LT (3.8) new in Feb 05 and bought it when the lease expired. I now have 41K on the odometer and the car looks, and drives every bit as good as it did when I first got it. A smooth, quite ride; and exceptional acceleration and steering response. Fuel consumption was disappointing at first, but improved considerably after about 20K. I now average 24 mpg in town, and 30 on the highway. I consider this exceptional for a 3.8 engine and a car this size. This style Monte Carlo is sure to become a classic, and I hope to keep mine for many years to come.

After 5 years

wes, 10/08/2010
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Very comfy seats, Paint color is awesome/Laser Blue but the paint chipped real easy from hwy. rocks. A/C doesn't cool enough because of the hot dash. I had my windows tinted, Rides good/XM/ON STAR

Almost Perfect

mcd1995, 10/31/2009
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My 2005 SS Monte Carlo was my personal dream car for my price range. After bypassing the 2004 Mustang Cobra because of price, I picked the Monte up used with 30k miles for just $13,000 and I'm loving it. The interior is very sleek, contrary to the Edmund's review. Trunk is HUGE and there's good interior space. The car itself gets a lot of looks. I'm now at 42k miles and have no major mechanical problems. Like most, I think Chevy ruined the Monte by not making it a manual RWD. Still, the monte can easily reach 300HP with $1400 in mods. I've used these mods, so I basically paid $14400 for about 310 HP, great styling, and comfort. Great deal.

Geezer Sport

Nancy, 06/16/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

A comfortable, easy car to get in and out of, with an engine that beats most other cars off the starting line. OnStar is nice, and the satellite radio is wonderful. The ease of controls being on the steering wheel is great. It fits tall and short people. The styling is retro and it has the hints of Monte Carlos in the 70's.

Better than Most

Saigashooter, 10/05/2009
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A nice car for a single person, or to just have fun in from time to time. The 3.8 NA V6 is easy on gas but still has some giddy up, though a stock 4.3 or larger V6 would be nice. The car is large though it doesn't handle like a boat. Transmission is a weak point if you have a bad habit of laying rubber at intersections, though it is mostly due to a poorly built throttle position sensor, which causes whining between 2k and 3K rpm The car certainly looks different than any domestic or import sedan or coupe, and people will comment on it. The interior is nice, though some owners report gaps between the glovebox and dash. The rubber treatment on the interior needs to go, as it wears easily.

Average...to the EXTREME

samdc, 02/06/2005
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Front wheel drive. It isn't too fast, but not underpowered. It has a few decent interior features, but feels cheap. There is no road-feel, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste. It has unique styling (again: which may or may not be good.) For a 6cyl it should get better mileage. Lots of road noise. Smallish backseat. Odd headlight controls. Front wheel drive.

2005 Monte Carlo

Mike Maz, 03/24/2016

Nice car!

nissianjeff, 01/26/2014
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Looks good, inside and out. Love the light Gold color! Stereo sounds great! Comfy ride, in town or on Freeway. I did however have an issue with the headlights not working at night, while the day running lights DID still work. It needed a new multi function switch. Rather pricy part! The read tail light lens are getting full of hair line cracks in em too. That dont look to good, will have to replce soon I recon? Good milage! Friends all like it too. Good cold duel control AC, nice! Power everything! The fuel gage now is acting a lil squirlly. Dont always read right. I'm being told it may need a whole new instrument cluster. Also told, thats NOT cheap either! All in all though, love this car!

A Very Good Car

Brian, 10/18/2005
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Chevy did a nice job with this car. It's comfortable and stylish (the ladies love it - NO JOKE!). Acceleration and gas mileage with the 3.4L V6 aren't this engine's strong suits, but it's relatively smooth and works well with the 4-speed auto trans. Steering is slightly overassisted, but handling is decent. After nearly 12,000 miles, no problems, except for slightly warped brake rotors which I'll have checked and probably replaced under warranty soon. The interior could stand more usable storage space up front, but overall, no complaints. Great sound from CD stereo.

Not up to snuff

Disapointed2005, 01/08/2009
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new and liked it until the factory warranty expired. My car has average at least two trips to the shop since the day I bought it. I have had to replace a rear wheel bearing and a water pump at my expense. There is a very troubling sound coming from the drive train currently. The car is comfortable and pretty easy on gas. I like the exterior styling.

cute and chunkey

greattobealive, 09/06/2004
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

after 2400 miles an annoying rattle has developed from somewhere in the dash. from the factory, dash is warped where it meats the windshield. fog light switch is difficult to see/reach. takes some feeling around to find it while you are driving. like chunkey body styling. pleanty of room for huskey 6'5'' people like me. fuel economy is less than desired. hope it will get better. gets nowhere near the 23-28 mpg. getting around 21 mpg with 70% highway driveing. missing pull strap in trunk from factory.

Lemone'

Tyler, 12/05/2007
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the car less than 6 months and had a tie rod end go out, the shifter break, the lights will occasionally turn off and then back on - on a dark night, the tranny will go to a 'super stall mode' on occasion, CV axle go bad. There is a lot of road and door-side noise (from poor manufacturing - sealing). Other than that... it gets approximately 28 MPG AVG. The motor has a little bit of spunk to it, and a high end speed is very comfortable, and you don't feel like your losing control of the vehicle. 60-85 feels relatively the same, 85 - top some extra noise, but very controllable. Brakes are very responsive. Any speed over 60 MPH, and gas mileage drops dramatically though.

05 LT 3.8

buckshot, 08/06/2008
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The exterior styling is an acquired taste, but I think it looks great, retro enough to turn heads but not too much. The deep laser blue paint looks great, and has held up very well thus far. Interior is roomy, all controls are easily reached from the drivers seat. The glove box is the only flaw, it isn't fitted tightly enough under the dashboard, and there is an ugly gap. The leather seats are very comfortable, and the heating element does an amazing job. The 3.8l V6 provides OK power, but a v8 with a RWD setup would be best. First gear seems bit sluggish, car would greatly benefit fron a manual trans, or 5 speed auto. handling is OK, the car does roll have body roll, and needs a sway bar.

Dissapointment

stup62, 01/21/2008
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this car since July, 2005. Am very disappointed with Chevy. So much so, I am switching brands. I have had Chevys all my life, but never owned a piece of junk like this car. Have had the battery replaced, the power steering pump and belt replaced the steering shaft replaced, (now needs it again), the drivers side seatbelt replaced. Replaced the junk goodyear tires at 24,000 miles, were wore down to the tread bars. Not happy with this car. Wouldn't recommend Chevy to anybody.

2005 Monte

sd74oklahoma, 01/27/2008
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Blue Ribbon treated me great! The car runs great- of course I take good care of her with regular oil changes and such... Minimal issues all expected with running a car. Very happy.

Awesome car!

Alex Stevenson, 11/27/2010
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a Certified Used Vehicle from Lithia in Alaska. From the sticker in the trunk and how it got shipped around, with a lack of winterization, I determined it was a rental until its 27000 miles, then was sent around to be sold. Its currently at 58000 miles. The car is great. I love how it doesn't feel cheaply built, I love how the doors are heavy, as with the rest of the car. It sticks to pavement with the greatest of ease. I bought Triple Tread tires for it, and it gets around well in the winters with ice, but I'm sure with Blizzaks it would be a tank. However, its not really a winter car in that respect. The power on the LS isn't that great, and the LS cant be chipped.

poor quality

Steve, 12/02/2004
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This is my 2nd car has been a nightmare since the 2nd month. (First car was an 88 chevy pick up still have it) Took delivery, about 2 months later the computer fried, fixed under warranty. I drive it like a grandma for another couple of months, then the brakes go at 9K miles. Bring it to get a punctured tire fixed, they tell me the that the rear tires are bald on the inside; this at under 20K miles. They tell me that the car must have been off alignment from the factory. When you are in a turn and hit a bump, the steering mechanism or a wheel feels like it is going to fall off. Will never buy Chevy or American EVER again. Traded the car in for a Subaru and have not looked back since.

My Monte My Baby

My Monte My Baby, 01/07/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I love this car. I think it handles better than the Mustang. It drvies so smooth and it dosen't even feel like your going fast. I dropped it an inch and I put 20 inch rims on it and it feels even better. It has a very spacious interior and its far more comfortable for passengers than most coupes.

You cant beat this car.

ssmonte carlo, 01/12/2005
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car. It may be old engineering, but what this means is that is has never been back to the dealer for any problems. Fun to drive and you dont need the supercharger, which requires premium gas. .

Excellent Car. 240 HP - 28 MPG

Michael, 05/01/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Half the miles I drive are on the highway. This car is a quiet ride on the highway. I'm averaging 28 MPG. The seats are big are comfortable. The steering wheel mounted controls allow you to control the radio function and cruise control. Overall it has been a great car for me. I highly recomend this car. It definitely has enough horsepower as well. It's fun to turn of fthe traction control and smoke the front tires.

Paint

Ed Marcado, 05/01/2005
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The only thing that I have had a problem with, (which chevy is taking care of) is that the paint on the hood has chiped very easy. The 2nd week of ownership I took it on an 3000 mile drive and the car was so smooth and the gas mielage was unbelievable. I say 9.8 out of 10.

Monte SS

NEONAL, 06/24/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Have only had car six weeks but thoroughly enjoy it. Very smooth acceleration and comfortable ride! Gas mileage not great, but power is good!

Great American Car

nutsovernascar, 07/10/2005
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

A very well built, solid car. Great ride. Excellent fuel mileage. Comfort and features you would expect in a $30K car at $22K. It has a large trunk space, and the feel of a full size car with sports car handling.

Monte Family

Patti Baughman, 07/23/2005
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. It is my first brand new vehicle and it is great. It rides well, its comfortable to drive. The styling is good. I did not like the looks of the '06 so we got an '05. This car is very driver oriented. Plenty of room inside for passengers. We are now proud owners of 1970, 1998, and 2005 Monte Carlo's.

Unstable car

catiiis183, 09/12/2005
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is unstable in rainy weather. Hydroplanes a lot even at low speeds. Not made for winter or rainy weather. This is a spring summer car only.

Smooth ride

Stick Morgan, 09/14/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Wanted to get back into a two door coupe and I am very happy with my decision to lease the SS. I think this car is sharp looking. My SS has is black with a neutral interior. I love the tan seats against the black exterior. Also has the optional silver moldings, which add a nice touch.

My 4th Monte, the best yet.

Phil24, 10/27/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This is my 4th Monte Carlo in a row, and its been the most fun to drive out of them. The supercharger gives a lot of added excitement and preformance that my 2001 SS lacked. Speaking of preformance, the car handles great in all types of adverse weather, no tendency to spin in the snow or hydroplane in the rain at all. Im a large person (6'6 and 300 pounds) and this car is extreamly comfortable for me to drive, both short trips and extended drives over 4 hours.

My second Monte Carlo

eddiep, 10/27/2005
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My first Monte Carlo was a 1977, now my '05. Both designs I like, and I like the CD player over the 8-track! Also I like the front wheel drive, better traction than back in '77.

Great Road Car

wyocolo, 01/08/2006
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've put 18k miles on my Monte in seven months and it has been the best car I've owned. I bought it because I needed good gas mileage and after all the incentives and rebates last summer, loaded it was cheaper than a fairly stripped Civic. Every day I drive 70 miles round trip and I average 28MPG which I think is great considering I live at 9300' altitude and work at 5000' so its either going up hill in passing gear or down all the time. I have had no problems or repairs and its a very comfortable car to drive. If your concerned about its ability to handle snow and ice, get the traction control option and as long as the front end doesn't start plowing snow you will be fine.

Love It

Roger Preble, 07/25/2004
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Immediately drove 3000 miles & enjoyed the vehicle. Especially the AM Radio.

SS - Flashback to Younger Years

Rex Racer, 08/24/2004
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

As a middle aged American male, I have fond memories of my teen aged years. Growing up with Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds (Corvettes were not in our price range), I always admire the 2- door sport/performance cars. Earlier this year, I aquired a Monte Carlo SS Supercharged vehicle. Although it doesn't have the rumble of my past vehicles, it has the same get-up-and-go with greatly improved dependability. Thanks Chevy!

can't get enough!

scarlett, 08/28/2004
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This is my 3rd Monte Carlo, and I wouldn't buy any other car for the price and style! It is fast, fun and so comfortable. I am a Nascar fan and I enjoy being part of the Chevrolet team! Fabulous automobile! Go get one!

excellent

Loni, 10/02/2004
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have bought Monte Carlos before and loved them. I had to buy Grand Am next time because of price. I would never buy anything but a Monte Carlo again. I have bought two more since. The best car all way around. You get an excellent car for the dollar. I give the Monte Carlo an excellent rating for comfort, looks,performance, quality of driving. I live in upstate New York and the car is excellent in winter driving handles great. And all around an A no other car will ever touch the Monte Carlo in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale Earnhardt IntimidatorMonte Carlo SS

Ramah Crowell, 10/09/2004
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This car is an awesome ride and excellant handling. It goes where you take it.

Perfect

Sabrina Campbell, 10/19/2004
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My favorite car was always camaro and since that model was no longer in the making i had to find another car and i tried the supercharged ss and i was amazed and from now long until they stop making them i will own only that amke and model always a chevy lover and always will be the car is perfect as a sports car and still yet a family car i have 2 young boys and a tall husband i could not ask for a better car and still aint ready for the vans and suv's and never will be i hope you like your as much as i love mine ..

Smooth and Powerful Ride

dashmax, 10/26/2004
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My Monte Carlo SS growls and goes at the touch of the accelerator. It is a joy to drive under any and all road conditions. The stylish lines of the design are the finest in the class. I'm quite happy with my MC.

GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY

lynette, 10/26/2004
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I JUST PURCHASED MY MONTE CARLO A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED WITH THE GAS MILEAGE, HOWEVER THE CAR HANDLES GREAT, FEELS GOOD TO DRIVE, THE ONLY PROBLEMS THAT I HAVE ENCOUNTERED IS MY DASH IS WARPING AND COMING APART AND MY TRUNK OPENS WHILE GOING DOWN THE ROAD, NOTHING THAT CHEVROLET DID NOT TAKE CARE OF!!!!!!!! I WOULD DEFINETELY RECOMMEND THIS CAR TO ANYONE OF ANY AGE

my new monte carlo

tim southern, 11/13/2004
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The new Chevrolet Monte Carlo that I recently purchased is both sporty and practical. I use it to grocery shop and take long drives to visit friends just for examples. It gets good gas mileage and has plenty of pickup off of starts. I am extremely happy with my purchase so far.

I love my Monte Carlo

ADianeS, 11/17/2004
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the best rides I have ever owned. I had 1999 Mustang and loved it, but the comfort and performance of the Monte Carlo is far better. I love it.

A real eye catcher!

imintune777, 01/23/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The Supercharged SS Monte Carlo is a great car to drive. Acceleration and handling in rush hour traffic is a plus. This automobile will respond and handle well when other drivers have their heads where the sun don't shine. These cars do not even start smiling until they are doing about 75 miles per hour. Great gas mileage and plenty of zip. A real eye catcher also. This is our second Monte Carlo SS. We also have the 2002 model and have enjoyed both. The Supercharged SS is my baby, however!

Love my car

Happy driver, 02/19/2005
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Fell in love with the look of my car months ago. When it came time to buy a new car, I test drove the Monte Carlo..... It is pure joy to drive. Handling was great, pickup was awesome, stereo was wonderful. While driving, even at high speeds, it is very quiet. No road or engine noise. Driving to and from work is fun.

GREAT CAR!

Starbreaker666, 03/10/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This car has met every expectation and demand I have placed on it and smiles back. I have been a pick-up driver most of my driving life. I just traded a great Dodge truck off for this one. I am getting 33 MPG on my highway trips. More then enough power to play around and get one's self in trouble with. The interior is simple and very functional. More then enough room for my 6' frame. I love this car.

2005 Monte Carlo owner

mike loftus, 03/21/2005
Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

We looked at Maximas, Camrys, Accords and went into the Chevy dealers to look at the Impala but one look at this gorgeous blue/silver coupe and we had to take it for a test drive! It compared better than those above mentioned in several areas so we bought it. So far very happy indeed all around, I have had several compliments from strangers and I love how it handles and holds the road.

My first new car

Linda, 04/02/2005
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first new car purchased solely by myself. I got what I wanted a new Monte Carlo. I fell in love with the style. As a fairly new NASCAR fan I just had to have this car. It looks like no other car out there in a world of cars that all look pretty much the same. My passengers have told me the ride is very smooth and I agree. All the new technology is a bit overwelming and takes alot of learning. I think I will enjoy this car and always learning more about it.

2005 Monte Carlo LT

Fred, 05/10/2005
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Traded a 2003 Monte Carlo SS for this 2005 Monte Carlo LT. Equipped with the same options. But the fuel mileage is less than the old car (average highway mileage is (2003) 26.8 vs. (2005) 23.5). Other than that it's a great car.

Great fun to drive car with comfort.

C. J., 05/25/2005
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is better than the 2000 Monte Carlo. The gas mileage is about the same (34) on trips, but the comfort is much better. XM radio is great along with the OnStar and telephone. Great eye catching vehicle.

The Full Monte

Barry Panzer, 06/06/2005
LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car. i previously owned a Jag X-type and CTS. Tons of features, extremely comfortable front seats, great visibility, and solid powerful ride. Black with spoiler is a knockout. The cabin is very quiet, and the trunk is spacious. Not too many around, if unique matters. No glitches on delivery. Perfect, if car is rarely full. Fabulous audio. If you read about the small back seat, it's true, but calling controls "cheap" is silly. All devices are sensible, easy to operate and if you need the fake plastic burled wood look, buy something else.

51050