Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Monte Carlo for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Comfortable, fuel efficient and luxury

clsharky, 12/21/2014
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Probably one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I bought this car with 154k kms 6 years ago and it currently has 326k kms with no engine issues at all. Aside from regular maintenance, the most expensive repair was the fuel pump replacement @ $600. However, installing it was a snap thanks to the access panel above the pump in the trunk. This car works excellent and has loads of power. The fuel economy is exceptional, thanks to its high aerodynamic rating. It barely revs above 2000 RPM at 110km/h hwy speeds, netting 36-37 MPG consistently. The styling is also very nice, and I am constantly getting positive remarks on its looks. The interior is also roomy and comfortable.

Great Sports Car

Austin, 08/20/2010
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years old, it only had 25k on it. Have owned the car for 5 years and I have done the recommended service on it and it has lasted along time. The car now has 182k and still have original transmission and engine. The car still drives like new. Also this car has a lot of power compared to other sports cars and the trunk is huge.

Monte SS

Mr E, 11/24/2010
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car and so far has been nothing but fun fun fun. The car had 68,000 miles even though the car is almost 10 years old, but when I say well kept! No problems so far except for the warning orange light for tire pressure that stays on which I'm used to now. I would love for Chevy to build more SS's such as the Monte Carlo and the Impala for 2011.

Disappointed Monte Carlo owner

Russell Roebuck, 01/04/2008
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have never spent so much money on repairs in my life! First intake manifold, then Ttransmission problems, next catlaytic converter, next BCM, next thermostat which cost $290 plus tax also oil change every 3000 miles. Radiator and cooling system flushed, Driver side power window unit needs replaced. Seat belt doesn't retract on drivers side. Only a little over 80,000 miles and mostly highway driving. What a lemon piece of junk car and I'll never buy another one. I hate to say but I've owned Nissans for about 20 years before this car and never had any repair bills.

It's ok

ForeignbutAmerican, 10/26/2009
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was much better than my 96 Chevy Blazer but the fuel economy is probably the same compared to it. It is a sports car but as soon as I start the car, it's the the fuel gauge goes down! It drives pretty well and I like the extra umph it gives. But I had so many problems with it its not even funny. Surprisingly, it wasn't with the engine. I had window issues, a.c issues, radio issues, tire issues, axle issues, compressor issues, etc. This is a fun car to drive for the time being but over all, I love my baby and is grateful for it. This is a 2001 vehicle and it is now 2009 and I still get compliments! That says a lot!

it is actually a fun and SAFE car

schatzie, 08/23/2002
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drove my Monte for about 1 1/2 years before getting into an accident this week. I loved my car, the handling, the acceleration, the quick response, the awesome sound system. But what has really sold me was it's performance in my auto accident. The crumple zones are a feature I can personally appreciate, since the car was totalled, and I walked away with only a couple of little bruises. Not only is this car fun, but it is safe!! This car and the Good Lord above saved my life. I am sold on this car and I am now shopping for my next Monte Carlo -- I am convinced!

Love her but hate her at times

Bad Girl, 08/20/2008
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Monte new, and overall this has been a good car. It still looks great and can intimidate on the road, even though V6. Love the Monte Carlo distinct style, that is what sold my on it originally. Fun to drive but it has had more that it's share of repair issues that were aggravating. Heated seats went 2 times, costly to repair, converter replaced 2 times, computer electrical issues, costly. The transmission had had to be replaced. Also issue with front wheel bearings and the traction system and ABS some type of wire connection issue with that, poor design. Steering column issue too. If it did not have so many mechanical issues I would have been a repeat buyer.

Great car.

Obdulio Santory, 03/07/2002
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I find it to have good handling and very comfortable to drive. It has a good pickup when I need it. The brakes are great for quick stops.

Monte SS

mattyv, 10/05/2002
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great cruising vehicle with plenty of pep in the bottom end when its new. Over time the mid end of the end isn't as responsive. Overall I am still very pleased with the vehicle based on its looks and comfort. All this vehicle needs is a supercharger or even a V8 with rear wheel drive.

This call will get you looks

atomic_rod, 05/01/2002
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm really happy with my "Monte"! I've had many co-workers ask me to take them to lunch just so they could ride in it. They've all commented on how roomy the back seat was for it being a 2- door. It has good pickup, rides and handles nicely for a bigger car. I just wish they had put a Vortec engine or a supercharger in the SS model. Over all I'm very happy with it.

love it

jayball, 07/12/2003
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a blast to drive. Stock it has plenty of power and on top of that it has a huge aftermarket. The 3800 v6 has been proven time and time again over the years in the w-body platform.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

montegirl, 05/25/2004
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love everything about this car, from the body style to the engine. After owning this car for 3 years I still enjoy driving it. I own the metallic jade green SS 2 dr model, and never want to part with it. This car is fun to drive and with the sunroof open and Michael Jackson on the radio, there is no greater joy!

Not displeased

tonyk, 06/21/2004
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving for over 3 years. Driven quite aggressively, but the car has held up remarkably well. The engine works just like it was new. No major mechanical problems. Did have some problems with the side airbag on the leather seat, but it was fixed under warranty. I average 30 miles per gallon despite really hammering the throttle. I plan to keep this car until it dies. There is something to be said for the nice low-tech 3.8 liter pushrod. May not have the power of the Japanese DOHC's, but darn, its so reliable and efficient.

Bill's Full Monte SS

Bill, 09/20/2005
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car for trips and cruising. Front heated seats are excellent for long runs. Never feel fatigued or cramped after all day drives. Receive plenty of good comments on the car's looks and Torch Red paint with the graphite interior. You either like the styling or not, no in betweens. The ladies love this car.

Love my Monte Carlo.

2001 Monte Carlo, 03/04/2008
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this 2001 Monte Carlo for 6 years. I have had absolutly no problems. It's sporty, yet car seats fit well. Enough power to go without hesitation. There is plenty of room in the trunk. Mine is the "LS" model, I do perfer the looks of the SS better though.

My SuperSport

SummerSS, 04/24/2003
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Monte Carlo is a good deal for the money. I like the spacious interior. I am going to college next year and the large amount of space is a big plus! I own a SS with the high sport appearance package and it is wonderful! Not only does it look great, but it drives great too! My only problem has been the motor in my passenger side window going out.

Full Monte

third, 05/20/2003
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. Bought it new (and loaded) almost 2 years ago and have had nothing but fun driving it. It is comfortable, reliable, stylish, has a great ride, low interior noise, great stock sound system, power when needed, good fuel economy......what can I say...I love this car and will keep it for a long time. Way to go Chevy!!

Great GAs Mileage, poor quality

Tony Z, 08/10/2009
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Car would be great if it was not for the poor quality on certain things. AC is out at 85,000 miles, both front hub assemblies replaced by 80,000 miles, moon roof shorts out, replaced radio amp, initially had a coolant problem which years later turned out to problematic, and a catalytic converter problem. There were a few more but I have forgotten. So it has been pretty expensive once the warranty was out. I take car of my cars and do not drive them hard. This would be an awesome car if it was more reliable. It looks sharp great gas for the size. I do get 28mpg. I would pay an extra grand at the beginning for better quality.

had it for 3months wonderful car

tweef, 10/21/2011
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

purchased my 2001 monte carlo ss 3 months ago from a orginal was scared at first car has 204k but after test driving fell in love with only thing i have done to it so far is brakes,oil,radiator flush other then that it been reliable only common problem with them is transmission thank the previous owner had it rebuilt few months before i bought gas is i drive 30miles a day gas is wonderful i put premium in it last me close to 8 days off da full tank this wont be that last monte carlo i own previous car i have owned were chevy astros95,98an till 2003 was lemon sold it bought my mc

2001 Monte Carlo LS 3.4 Sport Appearanc

John, 07/13/2009
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new. Love the looks(sport appearance package)and performance. Plenty of power. Minor problems only. I regularly maintain and keep it clean. 31 MPG during first year road trip but has diminished since to 28. Stills shines and no rust.

Can't believe there's not more recalls on this vehicle

eyzofblue72, 06/03/2011
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 car brand new in Nov 2000. Within the 1st year the driver seat heater went out - so had that replaced. Since then, I have had to have my catalytic converter replaced which now as I have been doing research found out it would have been covered under a Special Policy Adjustment - Catalytic Converter #05551 -(09/14/2005) Models: 2001-02 CHEVROLET IMPALA, MONTE CARLO EQUIPPED WITH 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) OR 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 ENGINE. Which surprisingly GM didn't bother to send. Now 4 years later, my catalytic converter needs to be replaced again. My security light has been on since 50k miles and I've had to replace my 4th gear shaft and the list goes on.

Don't buy it

SERGE, 07/07/2009
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I fell in love with the car on a rental. Was very pleased with power,comfort and fuel efficiency. When a similar used SS came up at the local dealer,I couldn't help buying it.Loved the car Around 70000 KM, it started showing problems, acceleration seemed to miss, transmission shifting hard. These problems increased and now at 120000 KM, I had to spend 2000$ to get it to work so-so. Mass flow sensor was bad, I replaced both front wheel bearings, steering fluid is leaking, yellow light in dash always reporting some problem, windows wont go down on hot days,radio does stupid things, transmission shifts hard (850$ ), still hesitates at high accel. To many probs to list.

Never ever ever again

gene , 08/31/2009
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is the biggest piece of junk! Soon as I got it I noted that water was leaking in from the firewall thanks to the cabin air filter being under the window wipers stupid location, hard to fix, impossible to replace a blown speaker in the back, blows fuses for back up lights regularly, horrible suspension and creaks over every bump and feels floaty, had to replace the driver side wheel hub assembly at 62,000 miles cant be left for over two days with out it being dead dude to electronic draw, exhaust rattles thanks to design, traction to sensitive, and kicks in at weird times. A horrible gm design and poorly engineered! No gm crap for me any more, reconsider if you want one

Excellent fuel mileage

Kenny in NM, 06/13/2010
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in 2003 with 17,000 Miles. Replaced CV joints at 70K. New Plugs wires at 100K. Just drove from NM to AL and back for vacation and got 32 MPG on first tank of fuel (Night-time Driving With a/c off). Averaged 25.7 MPG for the total 3068 miles driven.

Great Car

John Z, 04/28/2002
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy my Monte Carlo. It has been a fun car, decent performance, receives compliments all the time. I have one complaint, and have had two mechanical issues. The original Eagle GA tires didn't last long. I have put some Yokohama AVD4 tires on it that look better and perform better. I had a sensor on the radiator that detects fluid levels go bad, and after that service, I can't get the radio to go into progamming mode so that I can reset the engine oil life sensor. Other than that, it has been a great car. This car really kicks you back into the seat when you floor it.

Excellent Ride!

jeslynall, 01/01/2009
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 62K and now have 112K on it. I am in love with the car and can't say that I have has any serious problems besides over $2K in brake work which is linked morely to mechanic than Chevy itself. Monte Carlo is definitely worth the cost and definitely gets looks everytime I drive it! I gave it a 8 on fuel economy because no matter what you do (especially if you are lead footed like me) you won't get much more that 18 MPG, which is actually good for a V6!

Must Have a MONTE!

LOVE MONTE SS, 12/30/2009
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Every Monte Carlo SS I own I get looks! I bought it used with about 62K and am now at about 114K. I have a lead foot! I haven't yet had any problems with my brake system. I did have my 4th gear (overdrive) go out on me. I've had to replace the Cat. Converter twice. Am being told by a family member that Chevy didn't build the exhaust system big enough for the bigger engines (and the way I drive). But if I blow one a year they are still covered under warranty! My fog lights don't work, never had a problem with seats, window motor was replaced, normal maintenance stuff done, oh leather pulled away from side air bag.

01 monte carlo ss

bigredss, 04/19/2010
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car for a yr now. Even though already powerful and comforting stock, I've made a few upgrades improving fuel economy, power and look. Adding the k&n intake and getting my computer modded not only added loads of hp, but improved my gas mileage by at least 6 mpg. I run 93 octane shells v-power gasoline. Though expensive, the fuel Burns better and is used more efficiently, also keeping my injectors a lot cleaner. Overall I'm in love with my car. I have the limited edition (25k) made and get looks and compliments every shop and or store I go. Sounds super sexy with flowmaster exhaust, so highly recommended :)

Not Bad...

RSS, 07/10/2010
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This Monte has been a decent car and I would call it average at best. I bought the car w/ high miles and started the fixing process. The previous owner did take good care of the car too. Intake manifold gaskets are weak, catalytic converter will crap out and cause weird issues, steering shaft will clunk when not lubed. The car has had issues but has always started and gotten me to where I need to go, though it might not be too pretty.

It's just okay.

KevinJ, 08/24/2010
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased the vehicle, I was relatively impressed. As much as i would love to say that I am still impressed to this day, I simply cannot. I have had to drop the car off to my local Chevy dealer multiple times for reasons like the car stalling randomly, running on 4cyl, broken rear defroster, a shot transmission, speakers not working, seat heater not working, sunroof broken, condensation in the tail lights, etc. To put it quite frankly, it has been a lemon. I do thoroughly enjoy driving it when it works (a rarity), but it needs more power for such a large displacing V6. I also enjoy the strength of the seat heaters(when they work.) I only have one more gripe. THE UGLIEST WHEELS EVER.

what a joke.....

Nismo 400R, 08/08/2002
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

this is the most pathetic car i have ever driven in my life. problems.... Well where should i start. ABS system dos not work. brakes are soft. Engine gauges continuosly on. traction control sys. does not work. window on pass side does not work. car leaks on pass side (not from window.) From firewall or some where in there. carpet is soaked and probably is rusted out in floor board. if you buy a monte carlo i give you great sympathy. i hate this car and will never buy one again. maybe it is defective but i hate this car. if you are over 6ft tall like me you are screwed. this car has the quality of a honda civic

evaluation

booth, 08/15/2002
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

since I owned my first Impala S.S. I've always wanted another one. It's great to have an American car that drives as good as it looks. great car

Short Circuit

Icarus, 08/25/2002
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the way the car drove, but all other experiences with my Monte Carlo were terrible. I'm 6' 2" and the car did not fit me; my fault, I test drove the vehicle. Yet, I have had electrical problems of every sort. After six months, my airbag indicator light would come on as I was driving down the road. No problems for another six months and then turn signals began to short out. I thought it was a fuse but they went on and off. I am now experiencing the same problem with the driver's side window. The Chevy dealers I went to were rude and unwilling to help. I think my experiences with Chevy are over.

fun and safe

chris kuellenberg, 09/25/2002
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had purchased my monte carlo ss about 3 months ago. I am a car salesman and know everything about the vehicle, so i knew it was a great car, but i got hit by a truck on the drivers side door last week and i am really sore but really impressed by the car. i was hit at 50mph and have no injuries other then soreness. I will buy another one i love that car.

Been my best vehicle

kars, 02/12/2008
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and has held up very well with minimal maintainence. Drives well in snow for being 2W drive. Owned 7 years and only thing to brake down was the lightcover in the trunk.(very minor)

kelzar

kelzar, 11/10/2002
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is an excellent vehicle. The reason for the lower score in the comfort area? -- the seat belt is not a comfortable fit. I use a "seat belt adjuster" (2 dollars and change) to tolerate. Other than that: Perfect performance, very good mileage and a fun car to drive. It is a buyer's market for cars these days with the rebates and low financing... If I did decide to trade, it would be for another Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS.

01 SS

jrmatps, 11/13/2003
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My experience with my 01 SS has been, at best, mediocre. The car, black, still turns heads when it is clean. however, every scratch and bug splat shows. The 3800 powertrain provides spirited power. You must choose your stoplight drag races carefully- otherwise you will get burned. Worst insult was at the hands of a CHRYSLER 300-ugh!!!!!!!!

Love it, but major problems

Pat, 05/17/2005
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love the looks of the car inside and outside. Still gets looks and compliments. However, I have had major repair problems. They began at 68,000 miles when the transmission had to be replaced at a price of $2,800, the entire ingnition system at a price of $700.00, heating thermostat which cost only $30.00, but had labor of $300.00, and lastly a wheel bearing at $200.00. Items that do not work properly are the turn signals, that only work when they want to, the steering wheel that has a vibration and now recently the window switch is going out on the drivers side. Drivers's side seat heater quit working at about 50,000 miles.

Fun Car

Michauds, 03/03/2003
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Love my Monte Carlo. This car looks great and is a joy to drive. I got my SS model with the sport package which added to the great appearance. Only draw back has been with the fuel injection system which I've had to have serviced 3 times already.

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

mccuts, 06/30/2005
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a pretty nice car. My wife drives very short distances with it. So the city mileage is low - 14 to 17 mpg. On the highway at 65 mph - 29 to 31 mpg. My gripe with this car is repairs! After having the car 6 months the driver's side air bag (the one mounted on the drivers seat) failed. Then when it got inspected a tie-rod end was bad. And the leather cover on the drivers seat keeps pulling away from the side air-bag mount. The stereo system is very poor. It is an SS so you would expect something really good - and it is NOT.

Head gasket problem

brianne, 12/18/2003
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a beautiful vehicle which is a pleasure to drive. I love it, and still do, but recently with only 43000 miles on this vehicle experienced a problem with the low coolant light coming on, and find out there is a head gasket that is bad and needs repair. This is very costly, and I do not think a vehicle of this age and mileage should be experiencing this sort of problem. Of course it is over warranty and GM is not having any problems, and it is possible the vehicle was abused. I have done nothing but baby this vehicle because I love it so much. Needless to say, it is repaired, but I would say buyer beware.

Monte Carlo SS - 2001

Leopold, 08/12/2005
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been underrated on fuel economy and performance. We have averaged 29 MPG (not just highway) since owning it. It is a beautiful car and had good pick up considering it is a V6. The original tires we had were noisy, and since changing them at 60,000 miles to a style with that in mind, this one drawback has been greatly improved.

Chevy Rides Again

John, 10/28/2005
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is first GM product I have purchased since early 70's and it's deffinetly a winner for both performance and reliability. Car is also excellent in fuel economy

Love the style

Teeez, 01/25/2004
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, we have had some pricey problems with the mechanics of our vehicle. The rear main seal started leaking at 40000 miles and had to be replaced at a tune of $500. We have had to have several things fixed on it, which has cost roughly $2500.

Love this car

John Walters, 01/03/2006
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I thoroughly enjoy my MC SS. It's maroon red and drives like a dream. The gas mileage is right around 30 mpg. It's comfortable and stylish.

Poorly Built Car

Jarod Hart, 01/02/2006
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought the car I loved it. Drove/handled well, smooth ride, etc. Even liked the power (although I now feel like it is a little on the weak side). That has quickly gone downhill since. This past year alone I have invested $2500-$3000 in repairs. Since purchase with 29,000 miles I have had to rebuild the trans (at 54K), replace a high pressure line for the a/c, replace struts and bearing plates, replace temp. sending unit, resolder rear defrost, rebuild brakes all around (including calipers), replace tie rod ends, thermostat, theres a short in the headlights causing my daytime lihts not to function properly and my highbeam indicator to continuously flicker.

Somewhat Satisfied

--Andy, 03/12/2004
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My Monte has been mostly a great experiance. If you own it, keep it clean inside & out because you will get alot of people noticing it! Brakes - Great - I'm on the original set @ 50K. Power - NICE. Never ashamed to drive this car. Only problem has been electrical with gas gauge not working. Turn signals were also a problem, but resolved by replacing 4-way switch. Also low tire pressure - once on, it stays on. Have to reset by removing batt for 15 minutes.

For Mechanics Only

Slim, 05/08/2006
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car requires constant maintenance. If you're not a mechanic, I'd get something else. The head gasket went at 85000 miles and cost just under a grand to fix. Tie rods, hazard switch, locks, etc, etc, etc. It can't go but three weeks before something else falls apart.

Very Pleased!

Char li, 04/12/2004
LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

So far I have been very pleased with my 2001 Monte Carlo I bought a year ago. Its a nice ride,good on gas on the highway.

back in black

dallas isbell, 07/21/2004
SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car.the only thing is the gas mileage.that wouldn't be a problem if the gas prices were reasonable.nice riding car.

51050