Used 2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Lumina for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Old Faithful

D. Johnson, 03/05/2010

Have had this car for several years and now have over 204,000 miles on it. Highway mileage is 30 + which on a car of this size and weight is good. The only drawback for me is getting in and out of the car, comfort while driving is good even though the seat is worn. Repairs have been minimal. The intake gasket had to be replaced and other than that only brakes, tires, oil changes and other normal maint. has been necessary.

Great car - good MPG for a car this big

Pete Anderson, 01/10/2008

I bought this car used in 2003, and have driven it for about 15,000 miles a year since then. I have only had minor issues with the car including replacing brakes, new tires, and i had a fluke where the ignition switch had to be replaced one time. Overall i've been very happy with this vehicle, one of the most trouble free cars I've ever owned.

GREAT TRANSPORTATION VALUE

59FATMAN, 11/12/2004

This is my second Lumina and is used as our primary family car. I believe it is very good on fuel relative to its size. It has had no mechanical or trim problems and was available at a very reasonable price. The engine is the 3.1 liter with 175 hp. My assessment is based on the experience of having owned 54 vehicles of my own over a period of time. The combination of economy, reliability and price is hard to beat.

Love my Lumina

Vinnie, 04/19/2006

I have had this car for almost 5 years, the gas mileage on hiway for me is around 34 or 35 and city driving is around 25. I love my Lumina and have had very few problems with it. After all I bought it as an auction vehicle that was previously used for a rental company.

Upon Further Review

lrobby, 12/23/2010

Since driving back from FL last Spring (see my earlier review) this car still impresses. The mileage has remained mich higher than the official ratings. City driving has been over 21 even in harsh conditions. The car drives nicely on snow covered roads. No ABS is a bit of a change since even my 99 Camaro has it. Mechanically, everything has been fine except an occasional extra noise from the starter. Not an emergency.

Update from 2005

kolocar, 04/18/2014

After putting about 130K miles on it and reaching over 180,000 on the odometer, I sold the vehicle to my brother in Aug. 2011. It's still running strong (April 2014), with over 200K miles and counting. The Lumina was a reliable daily driver, and not a bad long distance trip vehicle either. Never less than 20MPG on a tank even in the deepest cold Chicago winters; typically low 30s pure highway driving. Stovebolt reliable and cheap to fix wear-out parts. Oil usage excellent at about 6K miles per quart. Tough as a tank. Was rear-ended once by a Mustang. Major frontend damage to the Mustang. Replaced the exhaust, bumper cover and shocks on the Lumina. Best Chevy I ever owned.

2001 Chevy Lumina

austinvt, 10/21/2014

My family has owned this car since 2001 with 15,000 miles on it. We now have 190,000 miles on it. Still runs great. All we do it give it regular maintenance (oil changed every 3 and tires rotated and such). Its a fairly comfortable cruiser and has a basic but durable interior. The cloth seats still hold up well. It has a responsive engine/transmission and has no issue passing cars on 2 lane roads. (I last clocked a 0-60 run at 7 seconds flat). Gets about 25 on average with a 50/50 highway/city. Its not taxing to drive and has some decent driver feedback through the steering wheel. Handles winter fairly well to with stock tires. The family hope to get another 100,000+ miles out of it at least

Great Car

Rutan Kid, 04/07/2008

We purchased this car because we previously owned a Lumina and liked it and the price was right. The car handles well, has plenty of power, and gets decent gas mileage. It's large enough that my family (husband and two teenage sons) can ride comfortably without being cramped. Although it doesn't have all the "bells and whistles," it has the amenities (keyless entry, trunk release, power locks, and power windows) that I've come to want in a vehicle. All in all, a great family car and a good buy. It should last us for many years. When we sold our 1992 Lumina, it had 187,000 miles on it.

Like a rock

kalibur, 04/20/2008

I bought this car for 700 dollars with 95,500 miles on it from a friend in the towing business. It needed a transmission paid 450 for it 300 to install it. AC went out four months later other than that no major mechanical problems. good on gas if you fill the tank (20-24 city 29-33 highway)the only problem i with the car is the bland interior and exterior chevy should have sent the lumina out with a bang such as adding cd player, power seats, alloy rims,fog lights,sun roof, power mirrors. the only luxury feature it has is the keyless entry and trunk release

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

frank, 06/01/2008

Purchase the car in Feb 2002 with 25k miles and still driving it 2008 with 90k miles. Overall good value for the price. Intake manifold gasket needed replaced and couple of check engine light problems are the only issues.

51050