Used 2016 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Not a fan
By curtis

2016 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Got the 2016 Equinox LT AWD in January 2016. Wife loved it and it seemed a great little SUV for her. We live in Iowa so we went with the AWD to get around in the snow. We went with the 2.4 to save a little money and gas. 182 hp seemed sufficient for a smaller SUV and gets it around town great, but the first time I drove it on the highway, I regretted not having gone with the V6. Passing performance is the worst out of all the vehicles I have ever owned! In order to pick up enough speed to pass in a reasonable distance above 50 MPH, I have to nearly floor it, revving the engine to 5 or 6,000 RPM. Even when floored, the engine screams at nearly 7,000 RPM, yet it barely accelerates. The AWD works great in the snow, even 10-12 inches of heavy, wet snow wasn't a problem. I'm a big guy 6'3" 300 lbs. and the interior was not meant for me. I can fit in it fine and there is plenty of leg room, even in the back seat, but the front seats are narrow and I feel cramped between the door and the center console. I hate the layout of the controls for the stereo and climate control. Maybe it would be okay if I got used to it, but I just can't stand having 2 dozen buttons that I never use, hiding the few that I'm searching for. MPG is around 24-25 combined, mostly highway. It's currently at about 55,000 miles and has developed a humming/grinding noise in the front end that gets louder turning right and softer turning left, probably a wheel bearing. It has also developed a transmission leak and I found out that there is no transmission dipstick to check the fluid level. It's still under warranty, so we shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed. Our lease is up in a few months and we originally planned on buying it after the lease, but at this point, we are almost certainly getting something different.

The best, Solid at 148,000 so I bought another!
By Harry

2016 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I do tons of research, and the 2013 to 2017 Equinox, GMC Terrain are one of the best. My 2013 GMC Terrain towed a 3000 pound boat every year for 6 years, and at 148,000 miles I decided on a new car...and got its twin, a 2016 Equinox. Both had 4 cyl. No rattles, super safe (i read the details, and no Toyota or Honda comes close to the 2016 Equinox in a crash. (dig under the star ratings for the actual data and look at the forces, the GMs always do better than Honda or Toyota). Big rear seat. yes, there is plenty of plastic...and it doesnt scratch, cleans easily and lasts forever...good for a family hauler and saturday chore machine.

I hated my equinox
By Dakota James Dumontier

2016 Chevrolet Equinox SUV L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I’ve had my car for barely over 2 years yes it’s been a rough 2 years but literally at just below 50,000 the transmission goes out while I’m at work. As well as the manual mode and everything electronic is going out not recommended to buy this

My car
By Bob

2016 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Gas mileage in city not as advertised.

Something Smells
By Something Smells

2016 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Equinox has been to the dealership three times for the same problem: Fuel Odor in the Cabin of the vehicle! The dealership has been very accommodating; however, I live 130 miles round-trip from the dealership and those are miles that are taken away from my warranty. The odor is sporadic; however, I have an 11-month old grandchild that I transport on occasion and I don't want her (or anyone) to be exposed to the odor of raw gasoline!! They have yet to replicate it; however, within five miles from leaving the dealership I had to make an abrupt stop and the cabin filled with the odor of gasoline! HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM??? HAS IT BEEN CORRECTED??? HELP PLEASE!!!