Used 2018 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.1 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A) Consumer Reviews

3.8 out of 5 stars
9 reviews
List Price Range

Used Colorado for Sale
Select your model:

transmission vibration

larry rucker, 05/26/2018
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.1 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased 2018 colorado new at champion chevrolet johnson city tn and at 2,000 miles transmission developed a vibration in transmission most of the time.I returned to dealership for repairs and tech. said he could not find anything wrong and since the check engine light was not on there was nothing wrong with the transmission.I left and it vibrated all the way home.At 5,000 miles it appears to be geting worse,I have appt. at another dealershio this time.tarr chevrolet in jefferso city tn. changed the fluid in transmission and this resolved the problem.I also found a service tech,notice concerning this problem which has been ongoing for a few years but apparently champion chevrolet in johnson city has no knowledge of this problem or does not care about there customers.at approx 10,000 miles the vibration returned.this time tarr chevrolet replaced the torque converter.this took care of the problem until approx.15,000 miles and the vibration returned.this time tarr chevrolet obtained some type special tools to remove all transmission lines and they flushed the system and changed the fluid again.I now have 21,000 miles and have not had any problems with the vibration.however when you start the vehicle after being parked overnite you can hear a loud noise underneath and occasionally the transmission will have a small jerk while driving.I would not recommend anyone purchasing a chevrolet with the 8 speed automatic transmission.general motors has had problems with this transmission for a few years. champion chevrolet of johnson city tn said they could not find anything wrong with my transmission.apparently they have incompant technicans and service manager.vehicle has been in the shop now 5 times at 27,000 miles and chevrolet cannot repair the transmission.the big problem now is a jerking motion in the transmission.2 times the vehicle lunged foward sitting at an intersection.also at times when the vehicle is started there is a loud noise that comes from the direction of the transmission.a class action lawsuit has been filed in federal court in florida which includes 5 states due to the transmission problem.vehicle now has 36,000 miles and i still have transmission problems.at times the transmission seems to attempt to down shift and up shift at the same time causing a jerki9ng motion.apparently chevrolet cannot fix the problem.

So Far pretty Good

sossendh, 06/24/2018
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Only 600 miles on the clock; here are some observations. Interior is fairly minimal. Not much storage compared to Taco and Ridgeline. Only two USB ports for the front. The very important drivetrain control is hidden behind the wheel so you can't see it while driving. Also, there is no light on the panel to tell you what mode you are in. Big design flaw and easy to fix by now. The 8 gear tranny is constantly shifting as you would expect, but it is not that noticeable and does not affect acceleration. If you step on it, it will spin the wheels a bit in first, which must be very low indeed. It also has variable cylinder count, so it switches between 4 and 6. Not very noticeable. I think this is one of the tradeoffs for good mileage. I have a high for the last 50 miles of 24, and an average for 600 miles of about 22. That's a mix of highway and city. Compared to low teens on my 2000 Tundra V8. The ride with the Z71 is stiff and rough. I think it will soften a bit with time. Sound and NAV are great, though the Android interface is a bit clumsy. And it cannot play MP3 files from you Android phone, only from iPhones. Haven't tried offroad or towing yet. 4 way power drivers seat works well and has a firm lumbar support. This was a big deal for me and so far my back is not complaining about the seat. Apparently it has a timing chain, a plus. LPO bedliner is flimsy, I am replacing it with a spray liner.

3 out of 5 stars

Could be great if Chevy took of the problem they k

Sam, 09/28/2018
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I now have 4000 miles on the truck and it's in the shop to replace/repair the torque converter. I noticed what I thought was an engine miss early on, then thought I was hearing a lot of road noise, seemed like I was always running over ribbed pavement, truck stated vibrating badly when under slow acceleration, problem got worse quickly. There was another person in the shop at the same time with a 2017 Colorado with 12,000 miles with similar issues. The dealer GM said they had the problem with mostly the Silverado, the Silverado loaner they gave me to drive while repairing my truck seems to have the same issue, it had 4 miles on it when I drove it home and I could feel vibration in it already, I'd bet it becomes a problem. This is the first new vehicle of many in my 70 years that I had a problem with. If the problem is fixed and no others occur I'll probably keep the truck, basically like it, any further issues and I'll trade for the Ford Ranger when it comes on sale in the states...had two Rangers and loved them both.

Centential Blue with leather

Norm Rivier, 03/02/2018
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Very happy with purchase, love the size. Mileage overall has been about 22.5 in cold weather.

5 out of 5 stars

Love the Quiet and comfortable road manners

Scooterzuma, 07/08/2018
Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.1 ft. SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

If you shop, this can be a great value. Since it is hard to buy any decent car for less than $30K these days, this nicely featured 4X4, 3.6 crew cab (and Z71) is in the price range of many SUV's or even small midsize sedans, but you get a much more robust and capable vehicle without a huge gas mileage penalty. I think the available 8 inch entertainment system has excellent communication features. Bluetooth and Android Navigation is seamless and easy to use. I looked at all the other truck and vehicle offerings out there, but did not like the marginal or even total lack of Android Auto and Apple car play that was offered. Test Drive the 3.6 and you might be impressed.