Used 1999 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews

$973 - $1,936

Used Blazer for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

More than I expected

rick, 10/08/2006

I bought this SUV about 4 months ago with 135,000 miles on it. When I bought it, I knew I had to replace the rear rotors and the driver's door pin. I went ahead and replaced all four rotors with cross drilled slotted ones which pull this thing to a stand still quickly. iI like the power from the 4.3 Vortech, but I'm a guy and of course I would like more power. I did have to replace the fuel pump, but it has 140,000 miles on it now. The interior is the best. I have never had a vehicle more comfortable. The ride quality is top notch. I don't feel like I'm driving an SUV. I have Goodyear Fortera tires, which are specifically designed for SUV's, and it feels like I'm driving a Cadillac.

Still goin' strong

T.C. Hertweck, 01/24/2016
LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I'm currently driving my daughter's red 1999 2 door LS Blazer. She bought a new X-Terra stick shift and the Blazer has been so reliable we didn't want to trade it. It has 186,000 miles on it, runs and drives great ( a little weak going upgrade, but then so am I... old age ). Anyway, I like this Blazer and we'll keep it in the shop for a runabout as it still looks nearly new.

Love my 2-dr Blazer

Anonymous, 12/08/2010

I bought this car in 1999 and it still looks like new on the outside and inside. It has the coldest A/C ever! No major repairs needed so far, even after it was stolen and went on a cross country high speed chase a few years ago. I do mostly highway driving and get 23/24 mpg. Like any 2- door space is limited. I like the drop down true tailgate on it, too. It is fun to drive.

Chevrolet Blazer `99, it's the way to go

Carlos1, 07/03/2002

I needed a truck, and went shopping around for some time. Toyota 4Runner didn't drive good, and the seats are unconfortable. I drove the blazer, and instantly fell in love with it. Great amount of power, good handleling, nice style, great interior. Stereo system is off the hook, and when you step on the gas, trust me on this you'll know the kind of power behind this engine. If you're thinking of getting it, don't think. Get it.

So far, so good...

FlghtMedic, 10/06/2002

Overall, I would say this is one of the better vehicles I have owned. The engine has quite a bit of power and is great at excelerating. It is sporty and looks good too.

Decent truck

Mikewg, 05/16/2002

I've had this truck for two years, bought it with 30K and now the mileage is getting up to 55K. It has been reliable, but it does have quite a few rattles and squeaks at times. Overall, I am still happy with the truck. Not bad fuel economy for a mid-size SUV.

240,000 miles

Stone Fargo, 05/01/2009

240,000 miles General maintenance and two starters. Now have an intake manifold leak. Not bad, not bad at all. going to get this done for $350.00. Gas mileage about 17mpg

#1

jyates, 09/25/2002

After looking for about a year at different vehicles, I decided on the Blazer. The Blazer fit everything I wanted into one vehicle. It's ride is subperb, the leather seats are the most comfortable out of any SUV, and all controls are easy to reach and work! The Best Car I have owned by far

4th Blazer & lovin' It

Kells, 07/04/2005

This is my 4th Blazer and I love it. Capable, comfortable, and has plenty of power for the size.

91,000 miles and still amazing me.

Reyn, 07/05/2018
LS 4dr SUV

I wish Chevy would retro this vehicle with exactly the same dimensions.

i like my ride

joe s, 03/04/2002

it's a great truck but plastic panel interior parts make a lot of noise

JUNK!!! Do not make a mistake!!!!

franktiregod, 11/17/2011

I bought a one owner 99 Trailblazer with just under 98,000 miles in 2009. WORST MISTAKE I EVER MADE!! Here is a small list of the things I had to replace on this junkpile. 1. Upper and lower balljoints. 2. Compete a/c system. 3. Computer 4. Heater core 5. Compete exhaust system including catylitic converter and wiring pigtails. 6. Alternator and belts 7. Upper ball joints-AGAIN!! 8. Radiator. The list goes on an on. And this was a nice CLEAN one owner truck! I got rid of it yesterday. I didnt sell it to an individual because if I did, my conscience wouldnt let me sleep at night. I bought my wife a Mazda 3 hatchback. Screw the "american cars". Thanks unions!

I'll let you decide

Mathias, 09/24/2009

Well i have owned this car for a while now and I have gotten what i wanted out of it. It stills drives okay but the motor is starting to knock with 150,000 miles on it. It goes where ever I want it to but i had to put some money in it to keep it that way. It always starts and runs without incident and has decent power for a 6 cylinder. Biggest complaint, the heater core is bad!!! No heat in the winter is tough and I have to flush it every year just to get a little heat for the start of the season. By mid winter its bad again. Also, no 4-wheel drive! Thats the number one reason i bought it and now it doesn't work either. Looking for a new SUV but don't know what to get. I love a Chevy.

Very Pleased!

Drew Allen, 06/16/2002

After convincing my wife that we should go with an SUV rather than a Wagon (I barely won that won), we bought a Blazer. Since, she has been converted. Even my wife, the won who though an SUV would flip going around the first corner, has stated that she is very pleased. After we bought the Blazer in the DFW market, my wife drove it to the Washington D.C. area. She was very happy with every aspect of the vehicle.

Excelent Vehicle

Job Taker, 04/09/2007

I have owned this truck for a little under a year. I have put nearly 11,000 miles on this with no problems. Great power band very smooth for an SUV. Very capable off road, but still refined enough that you wont look dumb at nice events either. When you step on the gas it's very quiet inside but it sounds very nice outside. Most people think of the Blazer as a slow rig, I can tell you it's not!

I love my '99 Blazer

Reyn, 07/02/2017
LS 4dr SUV

This is the most reliable vehicle that I ever owened since 1967. I’ve never regretted the purchase. I love the split tail gate, something that’s not offered anymore. I wish GM had retrograded the Blazer instead of the ugly model they came out with and called it a Blazer. The extreme slant of the rear only causes a decrease in cargo volume. It would be great if GM would take the design of the Tahoe and shrink it to the dimensions of the 1999 Blazer dimensions. Now that would be a Blazer!

Garbage!

blackhaus50, 06/03/2010

Front suspension is just awful, the truck was all over the road, pulled to the right bad when I used the brake. The interior would make all sorts of noise with the cheap plastic parts. Oh and how about the seat recliner handle. How many times did that break off. Just stay away!

EASY ROLL OVER

cassnjake, 10/16/2003

My fiance and I purchased this vehicle as a reliable way to transport our 1 yr old son. Luckily we did not have him with us when we went to check out my fiance's shooter's bench in the hedgerow... it was around 8am and the grass was slick from dew... my fiance was driving and he wasn't goofing around or anything on the grass road between the cornfields... he pushed the gas a little and the blazer did a 180 degree turn, the wheels stuck into the ground, and rolled us on our top. I would NEVER buy an SUV again. It was cray that you could roll a vehicle going only 7mph!!!! I loved the way it looked and it was very comfortable... but it is NOT SAFE!!!

JUNK!!!!! Run AWAY!!!!

geestoys480, 06/25/2012

I bought this junk from the original owner, 120K miles, looked great, ran decent and did for about 2 weeks. He had replace the radiator, tranny fluid and plugs. So i thought all good......WRONG! I put 5k miles on it and in the time period I replace the fuel pump, window motors, ac compressor, radiator hoses, oil leaks and the transfer case was blown out as well. MONEY PIT, stay away from these trucks, traded it in for a real SUV, 4runner! Run AWAY!!

not as bad as you think

good rig, 03/25/2009

This car is a pack mule. I bought it with 146,000 miles and all that's gone wrong is fuel pump and heater core. The strong points in the vehicle are its beefy v6, reliable transmission, and decent gas mileage. The bad stuff is the wimpy axles, not so much the front but the back is terrible. I would recommend purchasing a crate axle with a bit more weight and wider stance, or jus rebuilding in the stock housing. Or just buy hub spacers, that's easy too. Unfortunately I think the transmission isn't going to make it to 200,000, but everything else I'm sure. And fyi, if your 4x4 wont engage its most likely the vacuum lines that engages it.

A money pit

Kat, 11/11/2010

One headache after another: Oil leaks, new fuel and brake lines needed, brakes and rotors needed frequent replacement, rear door hatch did not work properly, nor did the windshield wiper fluid nozzle in the rear. Ball joints and U joints were bad. Gas gauge did not work. Emergency brake issues. Alternator and starter were bad. Vanity light would not turn off, slowly draining the battery , which had to be replaced twice already. Numerous other issues to mention. We got rid of it before it died completely. We could have almost purchased another vehicle for the money we put into it just to keep it running. We will never buy another one.

WHY?

Joe Joe, 01/21/2004

How can they still be buying ball joints and oil lines from the same vendors after all these years?! I like the looks of the Equinox, but I'm scared to buy a Chev again!

Blazer's Stink

Bill Jenkins, 03/21/2005

The Chevy Blazer really, really stinks. It is suppost to be a strong built, heavy duty SUV. I am here to tell you that it is NO such thing! In the year & a half that I have owned my Chevy Blazer the front end has virtually fallen apart. This is not a well built SUV in my opinion. I will not recommend the Purchase of any Chevy Product to anyone. As they would be upset shortly after purchase.

Worst car I've ever had!!!

nwiley, 02/10/2012

Bought it used from original owner only had 97,698 miles on it; I thought ohh what a good deal low miles He had service records and had even had proof it had just had a tune up.It sounded good drove good until the next day the transfer case wouldn't disengage so it was roaring from the bottom. Door hinges would always loosen up had those tighten I don't know how many times. Always had ball joint problems. Then out of nowhere all kinds of fuses started to blow mostly the power door locks. A/C went out .Check engine light came on always of course with no code. Fuel gauge never worked correctly. Radiator replaced.Always serviced it Tranny went out anyway at 114,000 miles after that sold it.

Like it

amanda, 12/16/2007

I bought this vehicle 3 years ago. It had 49,000 miles at the time. It now has 98,000. I've replaced the alternator, the driver window gets stuck open (usually when its raining) every once in a while but will work again a couple minutes later. Both front doors sag, window molding coming up, top compartment buttons are broken, mirror flap on both visors have broken off, there is now a leak in the intake manifold gasket, and the 4wd is not working now. i have not had any major issues with this vehicle until now. I really like it but i am thinking about parting with it due to the gas mileage. it gets 18mpg on the interstate.

Blazer is Second SUV

Blazer LS, 06/20/2008

I purchase this vehicle about six years ago, with 70,000 miles, two years ago I put in a new alternator and battery costing estimated $465. At 75k I had a tune-up,and perform regular maintenance at schedule interval. Now the door sag on driver side 1/8 inch B pilar (pins) bushing need replaced, the driver side lever for seat broke, the mileage in city not good the highway about 18-20. Always had Chevy as a second car and seem to do alright. Mostly do highway driving. Like the room and comfort. I guess I can't complain I have not yet experienced serious mechanical problems. Most cars do have normal wear and tear and that could happen on any American made cars/suv.

ON MY OWN

BABYGIRL, 04/13/2002

This was my first purchase of a car without my father(he is deceased)being by my side I remembered all the things he taught me about buying a car and used the same dealership he did business with for over 40 years. I must say I did quite well. I have had no major problems with my Blazer since the day of purchase. With regular maintance I expect to drive this car at least for another 2 years then I'll trade. The Tahoe is next on my list of SUV's to drive. Purchased from Nimnicht Cheverlot of course

1999 Blazer is a great vehicle

PaulC, 04/15/2002

I've really enjoyed driving this truck for 3 years. This was leased and it's running out in May and I'm sad to let it go. The residual is too high and not affordable to purchase outright. I've not had any problems with this truck and it's just been fun to drive with all of the luxuries you could want. It's not great for speeding through the corners but it's a truck and if you want to do that get a sports car! :-) I've had a blast and would recommend it. I hope to get another when the lease comes due.

Excellent Blazer

TopTech, 11/09/2008

I purchased my Blazer used with only 10K miles on it. I had no problems with any of it until about 120,000 miles on it. Battery, front wheel bearings and transfer case actuator went out in the same year. I replace all the parts with new and have had no problems since. The dealer could not believe this was the first set of bearings on the front since many others go at about 60K. This truck does not burn oil (engine is very reliable). Wish the fuel economy was better for a truck of this size (avg 18MPG city and hwy). Overall this blazer is inexpensive to own considering the cost of new and the relatively inexpensive parts. I would recommend a Blazer to anyone needing 4WD and 4 doors.

Pretty good Blazer

fireman25, 02/05/2009

Bought this after I had a not at fault accident at a dealer down the road. Had no major problems yet...knock on wood. Replaced thermostat twice, did a flush cooling system. A little funky but can be fixed by putting in a new radiator or just JB Weld. Recommend to all who need a car for son or daughter to get to and from. Great body condition for age and mileage about 163,000. Runs great, just cooling system work

junk

unhappy, 03/03/2009

Bought a new blazer in 1988. Ran the best. Put 230000 miles on it with minimum problems. Bought the 1999 with 50000 miles and have nothing but trouble. Fuel pump, transmission rebuild, drivers door slips, seat controls broken, now a blown engine. Nothing but problems since the beginning. I don't recommend the blazer to anyone!

Too slow

Ardis, 03/27/2009

This truck rattles like a tin can. It is extremely slow to take off and once highway speeds are achieved, it has no strength to overtake other vehicles though you may give it all the gas you have. The front end is squeaking and popping like popcorn on the road even on smooth pavement. I've maintained the truck very well and I've had to change the fuel pump twice in the last three years. Both rear calipers locked up on it within two weeks of each other. Lots of minor mxs but I've never had a problem with the engine not working. It still starts right up w/o a problem but it has its domestic vehicle problems. Not built to last!

No more Chevy's for me, thanks.

Chris, 01/06/2008

Bought it with 18K miles. It was beautiful and a pleasure to drive. But then came the mechanical problems. Front suspension wears out prematurely (there was actually a NHTSA investigation into the ball joints). Coolant problems and engine seal/gasket failures. Lot's of other problems. We're thankful for the extended warranty we bought. It cost us about $5k extra, but saved us an additional $10k in repairs later. In addition to regular maintenance, our repairs to date total just over $15k. Sad to admit this, but I'm not planning on buying American again. Not until American car makers earn my trust back.

trouble

becky, 06/15/2009

Bought car with 70,000 miles on it. Now has around 100,000. So, far have had to repair fuel tank, alternator, new tires, new brakes, new wheel bearings, new ball joints two batteries, the cd player doesn't work, the drivers window doesn't work, the drivers exterior molding keeps popping up, the passenger side set adjustment handle is broke off, and I am just waiting for more problems. Also, the gas mileage is terrible.

Nice Ride

AR, 06/04/2002

I have had my blazer for about 6 months and it seems to be fine. Bought it used with 31,000 miles and have put another 8,000 miles on it with no problems. The only thing that did happen was a small oil leak with one of the rubber/metal hoses, I guess it is a common thing. I was fixed under warranty. I like the truck, but next time I think I will go bigger.

Many Problems

56lowe32, 07/19/2009

I bought this car from the original owner and have had many problems. The seat recliner handles have broken 3times on each side(they are junk). The AC works fine until it has been used on the highway and then you come back into town and have some stop and go driving. The radiator fan shifts to a higher speed and the noise is extremely loud. Difficult to hear each other inside the car. When this happens the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is very hard until the car cools down again. Have replaced the fan clutch 2 times. The other day I drove off the highway and about 8-9 miles stop & go before the shifting and noise became somewhat better, not normal until car was off for 1 hour or more.

Very Dependable

Gurnis, 07/24/2009

I've made a lot of repairs to my Blazer in the 13 months I had it. But this was due mostly to lack of care by the previous owner. So far I've replaced the radiator, both hub assemblies, alternator, brake pads (front & rear), 4 new tires, new muffler and just recently replaced the trans fluid and screen. Overall, I've found the repairs not too difficult and the parts are cheap compared to foreign makes. The tires were the most expensive hit to my wallet so far. The OEM muffler was the only part I thought too expensive, so I went with an aftermarket muffler instead. Anyway, I would recommend a Blazer to anyone. Its a tough, go anywhere vehicle that really comes through when it counts most.

155xxx and still going strong

Bert, 08/27/2009

I bought my blazer about 2 years ago, and haven't had any big problems with it. Sure I've had a few small ones here. and there. It has 155xxx miles on it. Any car you have is going to have there problems. I drive my Blazer year round. On, and off road. It has been a really good suv so far. It runs great, and drives really well. Gm does need to make some improvements to the interior but over all I have had good luck with my blaze. 155xxx, and still going strong.

Reliable but lacks quality

Gearhead, 11/14/2009

Up until recently vehicle has required only minimal mechanic work. Water pumps go out every few years and there has always been minor leaks all over the place, but that's about it. Seat reclining levers suck and break unless treated like a delicate flower tho and are ridiculously expensive. The 2WD is horrible in WI winters. The vehicle has always shifted like junk with a "kick". Driver's side door has never fit properly despite no accidents, and you can always hear the wind whistling through, also hinge pin wears out every few yrs. At 125,000 mi, tranny lost reverse and had bad intake manifold leak; 2 mo. later #1 piston went out. Engine has been reliable, but overall the truck lacks quality

An old friend

jgclark, 07/21/2010

This is a testament to the fact that Chevy CAN put together a great vehicle. I've owned my Blazer for over ten years and dropped nearly 200k on the engine, and other than a squeaky suspension from driving through flood waters more than once and replacing a couple of alternators and a water and fuel pump over a decade, my Chevy kept me safe, comfortable and free from car payments after I paid it off in 2004. It stayed good looking long after the model was replaced by the TrailBlazer, which says a lot about decent design. The engine was always strong and helped me out of traffic scrapes with it's workhorse V6. I drove that truck to it's limits, finally trading it in this year for a sedan.

I hate my blazer

Tlid, 08/21/2002

I bought my 1999 Blazer in december 2001. Its a4 Dr LS and it had 28,000 miles on it when i bought it. It appeared to be in great condition and relatively low mileage. Within 7 months of having the vehicle, I had to replace the engine coolant lines, rear drive train, front wheel bearings, front brakes, and the serpentine belt. The transmission may go anytime. Any car will start to have problems but the amount of major repairs it has needed is rediculous. Its a V-6 but drives like a V-4, and has problems climbing hills. It doesn't seem to handle bumps/off-roading all that well which is rediculous considering that is what it was designed for.

The worst vehicle I have ever owned

born2saw, 09/17/2002

I bought this loaded LT new (as a demo with 7000 miles on it) and had no realtrouble for the first 1 1/2 years (14,00 miles). Then look out. It has not gone longer than 12 weeks without being in the shop. Warranty repairs are over $2300.00. I have had trouble with: injectors, heater core (my carpet still smells like coolant), transmission cooler, cooling system, and electrical. This truck has only 32,000 miles on it, has never been off road or towed anything, and has done more damage to my garage floor than any vehicle I have ever owned (that includes a 1974 Vega!!) I am going to dump it at a loss if I cannot get Chevy to extend the warranty.

Overall very satisfied

Trisor, 10/06/2002

We bought this Blazer new and have been very satisfied for over 3 years now. It has been perfectly reliable and mechanically sound. Interior build quality is the only problem area we have seen. Front seat handles used to recline broke off on both front seats. We regularly go off-road in pretty rugged terrain and the Blazer performs flawlessly. I can get over 22 MPG city and highway combined...my wife usually gets about 20.5.

owner

O F, 11/18/2002

to many blind spots don't like two door

Sorry to see her go

Pichilingi, 12/01/2002

I leased this vehicle four years ago. Negotiating with the lease company to buy it now. Have really enjoyed the Blazer and would buy another. However, I test drove the 2003 Trailblazer this last week and was not impressed.

self

john esposito, 12/08/2002

find blazer very useful i get 21 miles to gallon locally 26 on highwayvery good in snow pleasure on long trips plenty of power lots of room people n cargo have 57000 not a single problem would buy again4 wheel in snow very good toeing boat or tralier

Tried, Tested and Truly Poor Quality!

Klobo, 12/24/2002

I am very disappointed in this vehicle. It developed a series of problems after only 9,000 miles. They included pinion seal failures (7 times). Rear Differential was rebuilt at 27,000 miles. The oil cooler lines were replaced twice. The transfer case leaked. The cab has numerous rattles. Very poor build quality. GM should be ashamed of itself for producing a vehicle like this. It has approximately 33,000 miles on it now. I should get rid off it before the warrenty runs out. I do not recommend this vehicle as I have read other consumers complaints, and believe that there are numerous design faults with the truck that have never been solved.

Sorry to see her go

great truck, 02/25/2003

I've had my blazer for 4 years. I drive hard and I put 60,000 miles on her. I have to trade her in cause I can't afford the raising gas prices I need something smaller. As far as ride, power, room, features, and dependablity this car gave me everything. The ball joints went bad on the front axle, but it was in the shop for a day and it was covered under warranty. I'm gonna miss her

Chevy Blazer

Nick1, 08/05/2003

Bought this from a GM technician after my 87' S-10 Blazer was on it's last leg and must say I do like it alot compared to what I had. Interior is very nice, stereo is good for being O.E., handeling and ride quality is good for its size. Don't expect to beat any speed records with it, it's not meant for that but it can get up and go when you need it to. I installed an after-market cold air intake and it has improved gas milage and acceleration a bit. Definately a step above some others out there in it's class for the price.

very reliable

md, 08/11/2003

At 64,000 miles had first repair (wheel bearing). Still have original brake pads. Very comfortable highway cruiser (comfortable seats relatively quiet) and no problems with 4 wheel drive. Very nice that real seats fold completely flat and you don't even need to remove rear head rests. Minor squeeks, but I live in a city with a lot of pot holes.

51050