Used 2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Astro for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Can do it all!

Tim, 10/27/2010

This is my second Astro and it is so capable of doing everything. It has a truck frame which allows towing large campers, gets 19 mpg on highway when which is awesome for a AWD van/truck this size. Walks through snow and ice with ease. Strong winds push it around a little on interstate. Finally had to replace something at 119,000 miles, a starter which was very easy to replace myself. Plugs aren't too bad if you pull the front wheel off. Overall we love this (boxy) design, because you sit up so high you can see what's going on in front of you. This van is better than any other minivan we have owned, Mazda, Plymouth, better than our Toyota 4x4 pickup. Great Van, bring it back.

2000 AWD AstroVan

catlover, 11/09/2003

Have found vehicle to be extremely reliable, have put 90000 miles on it in 3 years, gone through the worst blizzard in the east coast in 50 years in 2 ft of new snow without even a hesitation. Very roomy, great cargo space, seats comfortable. not good on foot room, can't stretch out driver's legs. driver's information center was very useful.

Truck like workhorse

drumjess2002, 02/09/2006

Just bought my van, it is a cargo van used for hauling just about anything. GM just quit making these in 2005, for another SUV-like vehicle[ like there aren't enought of them]..a mistake in my view. My 1st Astro was an '86, ran forever, and I needed a van that could take more cargo capacity than a front drive mini. I plan on driving the wheels off, and it should hold up I think

Love my Astro

Wayneco, 01/05/2004

At 35000 miles/year, I am hard on a vehicle. Most of the miles were city driving(65-70%). I tend to wear brakes out faster than most people. Body integrity is excellent. Not a squeak or rattle for the first 80,000 miles. Still is quiet at 145K. No motor or tranny problems. Still goes 3000 miles without burning a quart of oil!

Versatile, Reliable, Predictable

rosco, 07/12/2005

I purchased it used with 50,000 km and have added 60,000 km in last two years. It replaced a 1988 with 325,000 km. Great highway vehicle; comfortable, quiet, great visibility, reasonably economical at highway speeds. Great capacity. Easily accommodates up to 8 passengers with full load or a very comfortable vehicle for 6, with all gear + 2 canoes on top. Great clearance in deep snow. With 4 winter tires, this van will navigate 8 inches or more of snow, and is my preferred vehicle for winter driving compared to my car. It's also great in summer for comfortable drives and trips. Downside - the intrusive wheel wells in the passenger compartment. Otherwise, conservative styling, simple clean lines. It looks great.

Best Family Vehicle

highegt, 11/27/2004

This is my second Astro - put 175000 on the first. Whether it is towing my 5500lb boat, hauling varius team members of my 4 kid's sports, driving 3000 mile vacation, or buzzing around town, this van is the only thing around that can do it all. SUV's are too long outside for less room inside, mini vans are like recycled Pepsi cans when compared to the stoutness and versatility the Astro offers. Consumer magazines rank it poorly, but you have to wonder whether they live in the real world! One last thing - a set of KYB monomax shocks transforms the ride to modern standards.

No frills, but a great van

GS, 08/15/2007

Bought this van with 30000 miles on it. Had a few minor issues that first year or so -- power lock failure, etc. No problems since then. With 4 kids, a dog, and a camper, we make full use of the incredible amount of space inside this van. It's one of the few vehicles that can comfortably seat our family, plus two others AND tow. Holds way more stuff than a regular minivan. We've used it to tow our camper (22-ft, 4000 lbs) half way across the country with absolutely no issues - at 100k miles. People are always surprised to see us tow with it. Added a transmission cooler and complete tow pkg. There's nothing fancy about this van, but it's great for a larger, active family.

Lemon?

phoebe99, 04/07/2002

Bough new 2 years ago. It was in the shop every 2500 miles. Dealer consistantly claimed "We can't pull diagnostics on it." Broke down 1st time close to home (alternator @ 12000 mi). 2nd time on the way to Santa Barbara, the same day it left the dealership shop. The 3rd and final time I refused to drive it until dealer experienced loss of power. I kept telling them it was transmission, 1 wk later they still claimed it drove perfect for them and that same day the transmission blew on the freeway (30,000 mi). I was 8 mo pregnant with 2 kids in my car. Chevy's 1-800 cust. service did nothing about all the problems so I traded it for a Nissan. Chevy should go out of business!!!

I REALLY WISH IT HAD 4 DOORS.

BABE, 04/06/2002

IGOT MY VAN FOR MY 60TH BIRTHDAY AND I LOVE IT, BUT I WISH IT HAD 4 DOORS.WE TOOK IT TO MAINE THAT YEAR AND TOOK 2 OF OUR FRIENDS WITH US. IT THE MOST COMFORTABLE TRIP WE EVER TOOK. WE WERE MILITARY FOR 21 YEARS AND DONE A LOT OF TRAVELING, I ONLY WISH WE HAD THIS VAN WHEN OUR FAMILY WAS ALL AT HOME...

Decent overall

Marc B, 06/10/2002

Take this van for what it is - roomy, practical, relatively inexpensive, no-frills transportation. Van has had its share of minor problems, most of them related to fit and finish items, but no problems with any major component (engine, transmission, electrical, etc.). Very good for towing light trailers and for long-distance hauling with a full load of kids and goodies. Decent gas mileage for its capabilities (16.0 - 21 mpg).

51050