Buying a car is exciting, but with the price of a new car averaging more than $36,000, it's more important than ever to understand the true value of a vehicle beyond just the sticker price and monthly payments.
Whether you buy or lease, understanding how much a car will depreciate is the key to getting the most for your money before you drive off the lot. Smart shoppers know that vehicles with strong residual values help maximize your money at trade-in and tend to have lower monthly lease payments.
With this in mind, the 2019 Edmunds Best Retained Value Awards recognize the brands and models that have the highest projected private-party residual value five years after their launch, expressed as a percentage of their average True Market Value® (TMV®). These awards are part of our ongoing effort to highlight overall vehicle value for shoppers.
Toyota and Lexus rank highest among standard and luxury brands, respectively, for highest projected resale values, and each claim three model-level awards as well.
Keep reading to see all the winners of the 2019 Edmunds Best Retained Value Awards.
Winners were chosen based on:
- Highest projected residual value after five years, expressed as a percentage of "cash" True Market Value® (i.e., True Market Value less applicable generally available customer cash incentives).
- Model awards are based on a computation, for each qualifying model, of: (i) the average cash TMV?? price over the first five months (if available; minimum of three months) for such model, and (ii) the average projected five-year depreciation computed for each of the first 12 months after the launch of such model.
- Brand awards are based on a computation, for each qualifying brand, of the sales-weighted averages of: (i) the cash TMV® prices for the first five months (if available, minimum of three months) for all qualifying models of such brand, and (ii) the projected five-year depreciation for all qualifying models of such brand.
Model level qualifications:
- Only 2019 model year vehicles are eligible.
- Model must have been launched by December 31, 2018.
- Model must have sales in January 2019 that are not less than 25 percent of the average sales in that month of all other models that fall in its award segment.
- Edmunds must have TMV® data for the model for a minimum of one month.
Brand level qualifications:
- Each brand must have qualifying models competing in at least four of the 18 award segments.