2018 BMW i3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 BMW i3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific i3 model:

Perfect Car for My Daily Needs
By Neal C.

2018 BMW i3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The BMW i3 has character, style, and class. It’s most certainly never boring. You’d think with its small stature that my 6’2” frame would feel cramped inside, but not so. This is true even in the back seat, which is easy to access via the suicide doors. Upon delivery there was a fit and finish issue that the dealer quickly corrected. (A wire got caught in front of the speaker in the door and was vibrating.) I also experienced a puncture in my flat tire at fewer than 200 miles. Thankfully the dealership went above and beyond and replaced it at no cost.

As an added bonus for those who have range anxiety, BMW has provided two years of free charging at ChargePoint’s network of fast charging stations. (Most in my area seem to be found at Whole Foods Market.) My local dealership also has a program where you can drop off your i3 when you’re going on a longer trip and they’ll give you a loaner running on gasoline.

I highly recommend getting the Technology & Driving Assistant Package. The updated iDrive display is definitely worth it, as the base display looks sad. The package also comes with convenient features like adaptive cruise control.

Love this car and do not regret my purchase one iota.

30 months with our first electric car
By Glen

2018 BMW i3 Hatchback w/Range Extender 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

On the positive side, the i3 is a blast to drive in a straight line, in town, on freeways, and somewhat curvy roads. It's cool looking, spacious, easy to drive and park and I feel good getting into it. The latter comment surprised me actually, since it's mainly my wife's car and in the past I just didn't want to drive her cars - Audi A3, Mercedes E320, Mini S Cabriolet, etc. I always felt that they were not in sync with my sense of style and quality (I drive a Land Rover). I don;'t know if it's because it's electric, it's styling or what it says about it's driver, but the i3 transcends in many ways and the style and quality ques are so bizarre that it's hard to reject the weirdly cheap looking recycled plastic dash and interior components that in any other car at even half this price I would flatly reject as substandard. At first I was thinking that BMW had a lot of nerve charging almost $60k out the door for a economy subcompact with such a lame interior pallette (save for the cool bent wood dash). The lease was descent and frankly, it's the only car that I liked that fit on my tiny Venice CA driveway. After 30 months with it, I find myself jumping into readily and happily. It's great for quick trips where I would feel guilty cranking up my Land Rover's V8. It's plenty big enough for four adults and my 6-1 son never gripes in the back (and he did in our old Mini S) The only negatives are that the bike tires don't stop fast in an emergency, they roll over and play dead in tight fast turns, and they wear VERY fast. The suspension is bouncy, soft and not well dampened, so it's really not comfortable in performance driving situations or on potholed roads. The seats are manual so no memory, which is ridiculous for a high end car regardless of weight issues, and the car is just not versatile enough - it's just a city car, period. I told myself that it was time for a bigger electric when I realized the lease was already up, but the only real choice for me, the Tesla 3, is actually too large. The Bolt is OK-cool on the outside (not nearly as cool as the i3) and interior is the usual Chevy-Rubbermaid collaborative disaster. Bolt feels totally non-transcedent and cheap, like any other econobox. So based on size and style, it's likely going to be another i3 for the family which is too bad because the Tesla i3 runs circles around the i3 in every department - range, versatility, size, interior luxury, technology and many would say looks (although I would disagree) . Personally, the only reason I can see someone choosing the i3 is because they love the styling, it's tiny and it's electric.

2018 Protonic Blue i3S 94ah - 2nd i3
By Chris - Las Vegas, NV

2018 BMW i3 Hatchback s w/Range Extender 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Let me start out by saying this is our 2nd i3. We have a 2017 94ah fully loaded in all black. That vehicle is very nice but there were things about it that you don't really notice until you drive or own the 2018 i3s model. Don't get me wrong the 2017 model is great and we are very happy with it. The 18 i3s feels better at highway speeds, more planted in windy situations and the personality of the vehicle has changed, specifically in sport mode. Our 2018 is Protonic Blue (Last year of this color) with the 20' wheels and iBlue seat belts. It is a head turner and it really stands out on the road. With the lower ride height, 44 mm wider track, slightly wider tires and suspension tweaking it feels more like a BMW and less like an EV in the handling department. Off the line both are 17 and 18 are very quick, the i3s pulls harder in sport mode especially above 40 mph and is better in the corners. Our 2018 is also fully loaded and love the BMW stop and go cruise control, it is very effective and easy to use. In regards to charging the vehicle, we have a level II charger that we use between both vehicles and works great. The occasional use or basic charger that comes with the vehicle will work fine but earns you 5 miles per each hour charged, whereas a level II charger will get you 26 miles per each hour charged. I commute work 21 miles each way with a combination of expressway and city driving. The i3s is better on the expressway than the standard i3.
Both of our i3's are leased and had MSRP's of $58,695. Our lease payments are effectively $302.00 per month w/no money down for 36 months. Please note that each state is different with state incentives in addition to any federal incentives and BMW loyalty or corporate programs. Items that I wish the i3 offered, Blind Spot Monitoring, Lane Departure Warning, Heated and Power Seats. Is this i3 and i3s a vehicle that I would recommend, absolutely yes. I think the engineering , build quality and green ethos truly set the vehicle apart. It may not have the longest range but you will have a top notch EV, that is unlike any other vehicle on the market.

Best city commuter
By Lukasmpeter

2018 BMW i3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Don’t assume you’ll need to install L2 charging equipment. Have been driving this car for almost 3 years plus a Soul EV, both used for commuting in a two person household, charging on a single 120v receptacle has been working fine.

Quiet drive and comfortable
By PS57

2018 BMW i3 Hatchback w/Range Extender 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Quirky styling, not for everyone. I like the seating position up high, great visibility. High quality materials. I have the REX model and can't even hear it when it kicks in at highway speeds.