Used 2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

My 2000 740il
By Michael Lucero

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purposely bought this year because I loved the exterior styling. I did not like the newer ones and I bought in 2007. This is a large car and has the best back seats and legroom EVER. I have fit 5 back there, yes illegally during a Vegas run and had no complaints. They actually had enough room to sit on the floor!! Bought my car with 70,000 miles on it for $18,000.00 plus $2,600.00 for an extended warranty that last 2 years or 100,000 mile, whichever came first. First, thank god I did get the warranty. Second, thank god this was a great warranty and company to purchase from. Here is a list of what was done before the car hit 100,000 miles. All handled without question, although an inspector

usually had to come out and approve first. In one month, 3 window regulators went out at a cost of $750.00 each to replace by BMW. A clunking front end that was misdiagnosed by Goodyear and a foreign auto tech place, cover by the warranty but finally repaired correctly by the dealer.

suspension repairs, $3500.00. In the next year that followed an additional $5000.00 in repairs done by the dealer. I have been on my own for a year now and was smart to spend $125.00 for a repair manual, I do my own work now, and I do love this car..but will not be taking it to the dealer too $$$$

Major Repairs @ 79,000 Miles
By Madra Dubh

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this well-cared-for car from a private owner in 2005. Car had 63,000 miles. After 3 years and 16,000 additional miles, both my alternator and water pump failed. Total bill, including hoses and thermostat was $2800 (labor, parts and 7% state sales tax!). Other minor problems over the past three years include peeled finish on the BMW hood emblem due to drive thru car wash brushes (about $15 to replace - a bargain!!) and I had broken clips on front plastic “kidney” grilles. Breakage may have been due to engine heat. Each grille costs about $60 to replace. Oh, yeah, just like so many other reviewers, my cup holder is broken too! Maybe it's time to sell.

Heated steering wheel

Better cup holders

BMW 740iL
By Big Bob

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Mileage per gallon - excellent. In the low country of S.C., highway at 5 mph over the speed limit (usually 75), gets 27.5 mph! Response to accelerator - great! Handling on curves, u-turns - unbelieveable. Wheels have never been out-of-line!

Cruise control, audio system, extra leg room in rear of "iL" model.

None

The best BMW ever.
By stan

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This car has been amazing. I bought this car from someone who loved it but felt it was getting too old and too many miles (112,000). I've had it three years and have put over 60,000 miles on it. It may not be as carefree as an acura or lexus but it makes it up when you take it for a ride. You will need to replace the water pump about every 50k, alternator at about 100k, suspension checked and replaced at 100k, power steering line has been replaced. There was a check engine light on when I purchased the car, the owner fixed this, some kind of air leak around the intake. Do not take this car to the dealer after warranty. Find a good mechanic who is familiar with bmws

Roominess, ride, handling, performance, navigation, sporty looks.

Cup holders in back.

VERY Expensive to Maintain
By Frank

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Without question, this is the greatest car I have ever driven. Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive car on the planet to drive. Since the car went out of warranty in Oct 2005, I've had to put nearly $20k into the car. Something seems to fail every six months, and as someone else noted the cost of a typical repair is anywhere from $700 to $4,500. I've had many different mechanics work on the car, and all say the same thing: Best car to drive, worst car in terms of maintenance. Expect to put $5,000 into the car each year for repairs/maintenance. You mat get 300k miles out of the engine, but it'll cost ya $300k to do it! That said, the BEST ride on the road, hands down!

Ride, handling, acceleration, long distance driving comfort.

For the price, this car really should be more maintenance-free.