2018 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

First BMW and LOVING IT!
By Bob Elwood

2018 BMW 5 Series 530e xDrive iPerformance 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

We purchased our 2018 530e xDrive in August and without question the best car I ever owned. The technology is amazing and the Hybrid capability has enabled me to refuel about once a month. I do a lot of local driving and have averaged a little more than 60 MPG. I had one tank that averaged 81 MPG. A lot of that has to do with our numerous short trips, but even when we took it on a longer trip we got in the high 30's. It will recharge in about 3 hours on a Level 1 charger. Many of my friends friends who own Cadillacs and Lexus have commented on how the 530e rides, handles and especially how quiet it is. Of course the $4600 + Income Tax CREDIT was certainly welcome also. Power, Agility, Beauty, all in one package.

A luxury diesel
By Richard Posner

2018 BMW 5 Series 540d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I traded in my 2017 530i for a 2019 540D once it became available. Both cars have the same features (I upgrade to all available offerings) and both are really comfortable and easy to drive. The 540D, however, is much peppier and it gets much better gas mileage. I drive mostly on the highway (between LA and San Diego) and get typically 700 miles per 17.4-gallon tank. Further, the torque of the diesel, which is about 80% greater than the 530i, allows a much smoother ride as there is much less downshifting for passing or hills. So I get the peppiness of the 540i with gas mileage much greater than either the 530i and 540i and even greater than the 530e. About my only issue with the car is that I would prefer more comfort (especially leg room) in the back seat although it is certainly adequate. My wife has a 2017 Lexus ES350 and the back seat in that car has much more leg room than the BMW 5 series although its performance doesn't compare with BMW. With caveat on the back seat, I would recommend this car as an optimum vehicle for lots of driving.

Like this car
By Larry G

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Much more comfortable, but less sporty than prior Car (2010 M3). Don’t drive as aggressively in it, which is good for my age. Lots of technology improvements over old car.

BWM Worth the Price for 3 Cars in One
By C. Michael Morgan

2018 BMW 5 Series 540i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Great luxury car and worth the investment. Sport, Comfort, and Eco Pro modes make this car feel like owning three different cars. Each one engaging in its own right. I'm blown away by this car's ability to effortlessly accelerate and sustain speeds in Sport mode. It continues to pile on the torque while getting north of most legal speed limits. Ride is smooth and handling is superb. Comfort mode gives you the luxury ride and stability you'd expect from a BMW and when not looking to blow past people on the freeway. Eco Pro gives you the tools to best conserve fuel when driving in city and stop and go traffic. Fuel economy is in the low 30's MPG on the freeway - lows 20's MPG in the city. Interior is very comfortable and technology are accommodating and helpful. iDrive system takes some getting used to but offers engaging and cool tech views of your car's performance and diagnostics. USB and Bluetooth Phone integration allow easy access to contacts and music. A pleasure to drive in any setting. An absolute joy on the open road!

Uncomfortable Front Seats, too much technology?
By 123 abc

2018 BMW 5 Series 530i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just turned in a 2015 5 series sedan and replaced with a 2018 S series with similar options. The bucket seats are very uncomfortable, with poor lower back support. I wish I noticed on the quick test drive. After a 50 minute drive, had an aching back. Is it me, or do these cars have way too much technology in them? Maybe BMW was too busy tweaking the tech to realize the front seats are horrible? I will probably need to get something to modify the seat so it is bearable on road trips over an hour.