2018 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Moon Beam
By Moonbeam

2018 BMW 5 Series 540d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Another great beamer. Loads of torque where you need it. Great fuel mileage. Comfortable ride when you want to cruise, sport settings when you want what BMW does best. A true Tech Fest too. Love the ACC and night vision features. A safe fast luxury sport sedan. Garage Queens: 2018 540D XDrive M Sport HK, DHP, ACC stop and go, Blind spot, Lane keeping, Semi auto drive, Heads up, Auto LED, Luxury seating, Napa, Night vision, Alpine White Mocha. 2017 X5D XDrive HK, DHP, ACC stop and go, Blind spot, Lane keeping, Heads up, Auto LED, Luxury seating, Space gray, Black Dakota leather, BMW tow package. Retired: 328D XDrive, 535D M Sport, 335i, 325is, 325, M3.

What A Ride
By Avid Driver

2018 BMW 5 Series 530e iPerformance 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Wow Wow....Absolutely amazing ride. Sooooooooooooooo Quiet....and the handling absolutely amazing. The mileage is amazing...46mpg+....great pick up and comfort. Toyota/Lexus/Honda, please take a page out of BMW's book and learn from it.

Powerful car
By Atom

2018 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I enjoy drive this car.

Maybe OK To lease
By BP

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This was an awesome car until I recieved the news that my 2018 M550 with 4,340 miles on it needed a new motor as the factory one had such damage even though it was broken in by the book and was babied. What the best part was BMW will only replace it with a remanufactured one destroying resale value if you do not drive your car into the ground. So if you are considering this auto I would suggest that you review some of the BMW forms and then only lease the auto and wouldn’t buy it. The sad part is BMW really does have a great car here. The car is super fast and at the same time rides like it is on air. Just to bad when issues come up like this on a new car they were not handled with the consumer in mind.

BMW M550i It's One Hot Car
By John Bedingfield

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I've leased three BMW 550 series from 2012-2018. The first two were pretty reliable although on one I had to have one of the injector port replaced. In January of 2018 I leased the third, an M550i Xdrive. It's nice looking, is pretty quick and it's fun to drive. I took possession in the winter and around April I noticed the AC didn't cool...just blew hot air. I took it in to the dealer who charged up the system and kept it for a week looking for leaks. Didn't find any. Car was returned and enjoyed great AC until late June. Just today (June 24th) the AC went from cold air to cool and finally warm in less than an hour. Now I have to make a long hot drive to bring the car back in to the dealer next week. I get a loaner but it's an inferior model (except for the AC). I've only had the car for 180 days but I'm already half way to officially being able to declare the vehicle a Lemon under Texas law. Two other annoying things are the music connection and the wireless charging. For music I mostly use Pandora through my iPhone X. The connection to the car is unreliable and I generally have to restart my phone to get it to play. I've used both the BMW app and Apple Car Play. I definitely wouldn't recommend the $300 Car Play option. The wireless charger is hit and miss as well. I've used two phones that are Qi charger capable and both sometimes work in the car and sometimes don't. They both charge perfectly on the wireless charger at home. In summary the car drives well, but the AC and the electronics problems make the car a poor choice if you're a driver who wants his $90,000 car to work as advertised. If you're wondering why I gave it two stars rather than one, it's because the AC problem doesn't matter in the winter.