Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

550 Powerhouse
By Greg

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Powerful car that will not disappoint in comfort

Very Dissapointed in BMW
By OM92399

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

This is my second BMW and I have never had so many problems with a car that is supposed to be the "Ultimate Driving machine". It's more like The Ultimate Disappointment machine, where do I start!!! My car has 110k miles now and in the 6+ years I've had issues or replaced, the battery (this is ok regular maintenance i guess), radiator, transmission 2x, tire sensor module, valve cover gasket, and replacing headlight bulbs every year. Keep in mind its never been in an accident, I only drive it to work and back (30 miles a day) and I don't drive all crazy or race in it just do normal driving. I would get rid of it but I finished paying it off and I love how this car looks and drives. Unfortunately I'm finding out I'm not alone I have other friends with different models who have had similar problems especially with their transmissions. My first BMW started having issues with the transmission as well but it was a lease so I was able to return that car. That car only had about 20k miles when I returned it and I left it looking like new. Then I bought my current 528i and my problems really started after the warranty expired. I always wanted to buy a BMW its been my dream car and my way of saying I made it but if I knew I was going to have this many problems I would've just bought another Honda. My first car was a Honda Accord which my parents bought me with the understanding I continue my education and wouldn't have to worry about payments unless I could take them over, eventually I got a job and payed that car off. That car lasted me 11+ years and was still running till someone crashed into while parked on the street. Even crashed it still ran like new and this was a $20k car. Now my $70k is back in the shop because the transmission is jerking luckily the mechanic is honoring the warranty so I won't have to pay anything this time around. Anyways very disappointed in BMW because it sounds like I'm not alone with these problems. Still love the car though unfortunately I'm now looking for a truck I'm done with BMWs. :(

Great looking HORRIBLE reliability! N63 engine
By Fred

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This car is absolutely fantastic in execution. The majestic styling, terrific handling, and fantastic materials. Otherwise it's a reliability nightmare. Everything that can go wrong with this car can and has. The V8 engine has tremendous power but has nightmarish reliability woes ie; timing chain issues, valve stem seals, pcv issues, burning a quart of oil every 500 miles...etc. Steer clear of this cat, I wish I had. Oh yeah, HORRIBLE fuel economy.

My 2011 BMW 528i
By Bill H

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Good upscale transportation. Very comfortable and dependable ride. Have had some trouble having recalls performed as do not have a relationship with a dealer. None in close proximity to me and this is a seasonal car.

BMW's are not Maytags!
By Rick

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had three 5 series in a row over the past 10 years. I love the cars, but would recommend a BMW extended warranty. Repairs can run in the thousands of dollars and these cars do require repairs, particularly when they get to be 5 or 6 years old. Otherwise, I find them to be nearly the perfect car for me. I am 5'11" and 185 lbs and fit nicely in the car. If you are 6'2" and 250 lbs, This isn't your car.