Used 2001 Audi TT Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi TT Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:

FUN to Drive!
By L Anderson

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's a sports car so you feel the road when you drive. Perfect for a top-down drive through the city or the mountains! I love this car!

After fixing the weak stuff you'll have a gem.
By Uncle Phil

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my 15-year-old TT as a cheap winter project car: Back window was unglued. Roof hydraulics leaked (replaced with gas struts). About 5 cracked vacuum hoses (hard plastic) caused rough idle. Front Oxygen sensor bad. Sway bar inserts made cracking noises. Washer fluid leaked. Serpentine idler bearings bad. Air pump rivets cracked. Windshield was coming delaminated. ESP sensor was flaky (easy to disable, 1st year bad design). All of that stuff (plus new coils, plugs, shocks, etc) was easy to find and ran about $3000 (I did most of the labor). So now I have a 16-year-old TT that runs great as a daily driver. It's been the most fun 15000 miles I've ever had, with no signs of stopping. Make sure the timing belt's been changed, and nobody has used the wrong fluids (it requires special tranny, Haldex, coolant, etc). Wrong fluids will ruin it. But do it right and you'll have a cheap topless blast that never gets old. These are destined to become classics. Just treat it right and it'll reward you. Seen people with 250,000 miles on them.

Thoroughly Fantastic
By nikokeys

2001 Audi TT 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've read reviews that speak of all the problems, so let me get my gripes out of the way first:
-The interior ergonomics are weird. I'm constantly adjusting my seat to get comfortable, and something as minor as a different set of shoes will throw off my entire driving position.
-The electronic components do, as said, degrade. But as long as they don't fail, it's more of an irritation than a problem. No, I can't see all of the pixels on my trip computer and no, I don't care.
-The timing belt issue is real. Pay attention to it, or you're a fool otherwise. But really, this boils down to simple, diligent maintenance.

I bought mine at an auction house for around $8k in 2013. It was cheaper to insure than the Subaru I'd been looking at, and did better in almost every category except passenger and storage space, which I didn't really care about. The previous owner had maintained it meticulously - he just didn't do a good job paying for it. When I got it, the ABS control module was out, so I had no ABS and no traction control system. I have never bothered to fix this problem. It's better with standard brakes, human judgment and a fantastic set of tires.

Up in Montana where I am, we have janky roads and freakish weather. This car handles great in all weather conditions: running Nokian winter tires (no studs) in winter - excellent traction on snow and ice and Hankook tires in summer getting over 40mpg. The steering is so excellent and responsive it's almost hard to cope with when I step into it from my truck (which has 90's GM steering). The clutch is very forgiving, if a bit stiff, and I don't think it's very easy to stall, either. Sound system is bang on.

This is an amazing car for a driver with the right mindset. I don't think I'd pay the price for it new, but as a pre-owned vehicle, I've never been happier.

Audi TT my dream car! 2001
By Marilyn LaMantia

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No repairs aside for maintenance for over ten years. Recently put 6000 into it, transmission and instrument Pannel, now like new again!

Great little car most new cars still can't compete
By Scott

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my TT Quattro coupe since 2006. Bought it used from a guy that was as meticulous with it as I am. The only issue was the timing belt. it let go and cost a good chunk to get the engine rebuilt (my fault for not changing it sooner)... better than new now. If you are looking for one, ask for receipts on repairs/upkeep!
In the 9 years I've owned it... I've replaced or rebuilt: engine, fuel pump (very spendy there), drive lines, rotors and the water pump(this has plastic impellers from the factory - change out for metal impeller pump). Total about 6K in repairs... but waaay worth it. I know what issues it has had and what has been repaired... no new 'can of worms' in some other used luxury sports car! It is at 124K miles now and should last me another 145K easy! Close to 30 mpg on the highway, 24-26 in the city (depending on my driving tendencies).
I still get people staring and asking about it. I have the Black/black quattro. People are blown away when i tell them it is a 2001! 14 years old and still looks better and drives better than most cookie cutter 'sports cars' put out these days. Not to mention the gas mileage is equal to or better than most 2015 models!
Tis a great date night car with the wife. She still gets all giddy when i 'let' her drive it!