Used 2014 Audi Q5 Diesel Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Q5 model:

Best car I've ever owned
By Russell Andrews

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I don't have anything negative to write. Best value I've ever owned in my 54 yrs of driving. Go nonstop from Syracuse to Beaufort,SC (14 hrs) and my wife and I are not worn out by the trip... very comfortable and accommodating.

VWAG diesel scandal be damned!
By Hardy Kornfeld

This is the second update on a review posted shortly after I bought my 2014 Q5 TDI. I loved the car then and I still do today, despite Audi's diesel fiasco.

Pros:

1. This is a very comfortable car to sit in on the commute and long hauls. The front seats are great unless you want to pretend it's a sports car, in which case they lack a bit of lateral support. The Q5 does its suburban transport function perfectly well and the panoramic roof glass gives it an airy feeling. Like all the Audis in my experience, the driver's sight lines are excellent.

2. The fuel economy has gone from outstanding to somewhat higher than that. In the same mixed driving pattern since purchase, I'm now averaging 32-34 mpg measured at the tank. High 30s with pure highway driving. For a 4400 pound truck with a 5000 pound towing capacity, that's supernatural.

3. About that towing capacity; I haven't hauled any really heavy loads but it's effortless towing 1000 pounds of motorcycle plus trailer with barely any hit on fuel consumption.

4. Driving dynamics are very good within limits. Body roll is minimal for an SUV, the steering is reasonably quick and accurate without being nervous, braking effort is linear and absolute stopping power is good but not stellar. Ride quality is also quite good, striking an excellent balance of composed cornering without too stiff damping. While I usually don't ask much of the engine and rarely spin it above 1700 rpm, when instant acceleration is called for at any speed that initial torque surge is amazing.

5. It's very good in winter, particularly since I put on winter tires (probably not needed but they provide more braking performance in snow). Excellent ground clearance, the wheel wells don't get packed up with snow and the traction control is effective without being intrusive. It would be nice to have a locking center diff but the Quattro is perfectly fine for most snow conditions.

Cons:

1. The steering has poor on-center feel which is a bit irritating when I set out on highway driving though after a bit of time I stop noticing it.

2. The defroster is adequate but in very snowy conditions it would be nice to have a heated windshield base or heated washer fluid.

3. I would prefer to have engine stop start switch in a more intuitive position. The system itself is not bad; the engine restarts quickly and smoothly. But I only want to use it when I anticipate a relatively long stop, like arriving at a traffic light that has just turned red. So I am turning the system on and off multiple times in local driving but it's hard to find the switch without taking my eyes off the road.

4. VWAG has yet to offer a solution for the 3.0 L TDI diesel scam. My strong preference is to keep the car if I possibly can, unless the offer an "fix" that reduces fuel economy or performance more than a smidge. I suspect this car can go 250,000 miles without a problem. I'm not very enthusiastic about any of the potential competitors, at least at this point. I definitely want to stick with diesel motors for any SUV that I buy. I'll get a Golf R or a Porsche Cayman or something to scratch the other itch.

The best of all worlds
By Mike M

Acceleration is terrific at any speed, torque equivalent is a big block V8. Gas mileage is outstanding. Getting calculated 37MPG on a long trip is common. I'm averaging 32.2MPG in 18,000 miles of ownership. Traction is outstanding with quattro. OEM Michelin Latitude's are ok, not great, so I think traction could be further improved with better tires. Shifting is smooth in all gears, although the shift from 1 to 2 only after the idle stop was engaged is the slightest bit rough.

Interior materials are first rate, layout is very intuitive. MMI is very good, nav takes a few minutes to start up on initial startup, I really like the LACK of a touch screen nav system. Everything is controlled through the selector wheel and buttons, Hands are closer to the wheel, no stretching for the nav screen and less eyes off the road. Cargo capacity is ok, but you know that buying this vehicle - if you need a Suburban, go buy a Suburban.

Audi's tend to be a bit more sporty than the Mercedes, and on par with BMW. Consequently the ride is never harsh, but a bit firmer than you may be used to coming out of a Merc, or certainly a Lexus, which places a higher priority of comfort over better handling. Having said that, this is a heavy vehicle and center of gravity will be higher than any sedan you compare it to. Comparing this size SUV to any other comparably sized SUV, it's hard not to like everything it offers. Price is a reflection of the technology, materials, and performance you get, which is to say, it doesn't come cheap.

Comfort, room, performance, fuel efficiency, quality of materials, and build quality, Compare it to anything you like, you won't find everything this vehicle - as a TDI - delivers anywhere else.

Love the TDI, Skip the MMI package
By p_auyeung

Fun car to drive. The diesel engine is amazing, especially on long journeys. The acceleration is fantastic, very good for road trips as well as battling the everyday commute.

The MMI is total crap. Voice recognition doesn't recognize much, and the navigation takes far too long to start up. I've given up using it. The stereo system is a bit on the quiet side, even with the B&O package.

Agile and sporty but not a sedan
By seattle_driver

I have had my 2014 Q5 TDI for around 6 months now so feel comfortable writing a review. Overall it's a great car: it's fun to drive and it feels agile and sporty. The mileage is generally better than advertised: we took a 2,000 mile road trip this summer and with 4 people and luggage we averaged just under 37 MPG -- going through the Canadian Rockies. I liked this car better than the other smaller SUVs I test-drove (Lexus, Cadillac, BMW.) On the down side, the steering can feel remote and the center of gravity is definitely higher than my 2000 Mercedes E 320 sedan (or maybe I'm just used to it) I ordered all of the options, including the tow hitch, which made the car rather expensive.

My favorite feature is the large sun / moon roof -- it makes the car feel much larger than it is. My second favorite feature is the navigation system, but it could be improved by having a touch screen. I also like the voice commands -- being able to call someone completely hands-free using a contact on my iPhone is quite useful. Also, I'm 5'9" and the seat feels a little short sometimes.

The features that need improvement are: 1. side mirrors are huge, and create a large blind spot on each side. It is difficult to see other cars at 4-way stops and hard to see pedestrians crossing the street. 2. Navigation system is mediocre in Canada. Many roads and attractions are not there, and if you deviate from Audi's route, the system tries to direct you back to the original chosen route 3. I would like to be able to turn off the extra "attractions" noted at each exit and have the option to display only ones on the chosen route without de-selecting each type one by one 3. Wifi hotspot feature is not available in Canada 4. iPhone hookup is not available for the 5s