Used 2014 Audi Q5 Diesel Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Q5 model:

Almost perfect car.
By JT

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel TDI Prestige quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

After owning 11 different cars over time. This was the best overall!

Best car I've ever owned
By Russell Andrews

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I don't have anything negative to write. Best value I've ever owned in my 54 yrs of driving. Go nonstop from Syracuse to Beaufort,SC (14 hrs) and my wife and I are not worn out by the trip... very comfortable and accommodating.

Help is on the way
By Hardy Kornfeld

This is my third update on a review posted shortly after I bought my 2014 Q5 TDI. I loved the car then and I still do today, despite Audi's diesel fiasco.

Pros:

1. This is a very comfortable car to sit in on the commute and long hauls. The front seats are great unless you want to pretend it's a sports car, in which case they lack a bit of lateral support. The Q5 does its suburban transport function perfectly well and the panoramic roof glass gives it an airy feeling. Like all the Audis in my experience, the driver's sight lines are excellent.

2. The fuel economy has gone from outstanding to somewhat higher than that. In the same mixed driving pattern since purchase, I'm now averaging 31-33 mpg measured at the tank (the low end of that range in winter). High 30s with pure highway driving. For a 4400 pound truck with a 5000 pound towing capacity, that's supernatural.

3. About that towing capacity; I still haven't hauled any really heavy loads but the Q5 tows 1000 pounds of motorcycle plus trailer with barely any hit on fuel consumption.

4. Driving dynamics are very good within limits. Body roll is minimal for an SUV, the steering is reasonably quick and accurate without being nervous, braking effort is linear and absolute stopping power is good but not stellar. Ride quality is quite good, striking an excellent balance of composed cornering without too stiff damping. While I usually don't ask much of the engine and rarely spin it above 1800 rpm, when acceleration is called for at any speed that initial torque surge is amazing.

5. The Q5 is good in winter, particularly since I put on Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires (probably not needed but they provide more braking performance in snow). Excellent ground clearance, the wheel wells don't get packed up with snow and the traction control is effective without being intrusive. It would be nice to have a locking center diff but the Quattro is perfectly fine for most snow conditions. The defroster does a good job but it would help to have a windshield option as it does get packed up with snow and ice at the base and left side of the window.

6. VWAG finally has a plan to deal with the 3.0 liter diesel scam and it looks good. Last year I got a $500 debit card for any purchase and another $500 card to use exclusively at Audi dealerships. Now they're on the verge of recall the car to implement the fix, which appears to be limited to ECU reprogramming. We will have to see if this adversely affects performance or fuel economy with no third party reports yet, as far as I know. One cause for optimism is that a friend of mine with a Golf Sportwagen TDI had no degradation of mileage or performance after recent fix of his 2.0 liter I-4. Audi will also evidently give me something in the range of $7000 compensation with a smaller amount coming from Bosch. That will have a significant impact in cost of ownership (and might put me in a new Porsche Cayman or Corvette Grand Sport when I trade in my other car next year!).

Cons:

1. The steering has poor on-center feel which is a bit irritating when I set out on highway driving although after a bit of time I stop noticing it.

2. While the stopping power is adequate, the initial brake feel is spongy. I much prefer brakes that have a strong initial bite and linear rise in stopping power, like those on my Audi S4.

3. The defroster is adequate but in very snowy conditions it would be nice to have a heated windshield base or heated washer fluid.

4. I would prefer to have engine stop start switch in a more intuitive position. The system itself is not bad; the engine restarts quickly and smoothly. But I only want to use it when I anticipate a relatively long stop, like arriving at a traffic light that has just turned red. So I am turning the system on and off multiple times in local driving but it's hard to find the switch without taking my eyes off the road.

5. The interior trim on the driver's side door and left front of the dashboard reflects sunlight on the instruments and windshield under some circumstances. It's an occasional minor irritation. Overall, it's hard to find much to complain about with this car!

$55,000.00 Vibrator
By Bart Andeer

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel TDI Prestige quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

No, it will not be satisfactory for that either! Seriously, I traded my 2002 Audi S8 which had massive engine failure at 118,000 miles for a new '14 TDI. I commute from Tampa, FL to just beyond New Orleans, LA. I was looking for the ability to tow a small trailer, get good mileage and like all wheel drive. Seemed pretty good, but there was a huge catch. Vibration. There is something called vibration tolerance. It seems the longer a human is subjected to vibrations, the more aggravating the particular vibrations (generally low in frequency) become. Every trip I made (10 - 11 hours total trip time) I was feeling pretty bad upon completion, nauseous and jittery. I've owned diesel cars before and have been a ship captain for many years. I'm accustomed to diesels. I've never had this issue before. This is not something that could come as a surprise to engineers. It is well known. I got the impression that accountants were running the engineering. It's called "Value Engineering". After being fully prepared to follow Florida Lemon Law, Audi corporate made be a generous offer to trade for a 2015 Audi SQ5. Most regrettably I accepted this offer. You may be interested in my review of the 2015 Audi SQ5 when posted. At present I'm engaged with the Lemon Law process but suffice it to say I'm more convinced at ever that Value Engineering is the single overriding "Truth" in their engineering. Highly NOT RECOMMENDED.

Update: None. Glad to be done with VW/Audi!

Update 7/2/18: I am not sure how this has happened, but this review is for the Q5 TDI. It now seems to be under a gasoline version.

The best of all worlds
By Mike M

Acceleration is terrific at any speed, torque equivalent is a big block V8. Gas mileage is outstanding. Getting calculated 37MPG on a long trip is common. I'm averaging 32.2MPG in 18,000 miles of ownership. Traction is outstanding with quattro. OEM Michelin Latitude's are ok, not great, so I think traction could be further improved with better tires. Shifting is smooth in all gears, although the shift from 1 to 2 only after the idle stop was engaged is the slightest bit rough.

Interior materials are first rate, layout is very intuitive. MMI is very good, nav takes a few minutes to start up on initial startup, I really like the LACK of a touch screen nav system. Everything is controlled through the selector wheel and buttons, Hands are closer to the wheel, no stretching for the nav screen and less eyes off the road. Cargo capacity is ok, but you know that buying this vehicle - if you need a Suburban, go buy a Suburban.

Audi's tend to be a bit more sporty than the Mercedes, and on par with BMW. Consequently the ride is never harsh, but a bit firmer than you may be used to coming out of a Merc, or certainly a Lexus, which places a higher priority of comfort over better handling. Having said that, this is a heavy vehicle and center of gravity will be higher than any sedan you compare it to. Comparing this size SUV to any other comparably sized SUV, it's hard not to like everything it offers. Price is a reflection of the technology, materials, and performance you get, which is to say, it doesn't come cheap.

Comfort, room, performance, fuel efficiency, quality of materials, and build quality, Compare it to anything you like, you won't find everything this vehicle - as a TDI - delivers anywhere else.