Used 2012 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Clunking noise from Rear Suspension
By lex612

2012 Acura TL Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Loud "CLUNKING NOISE" came from passenger side rear suspension.
It got louder as the car getting more miles on it.
Took it in four times at the local dealer:

1st Attempt:
Local dealer changed the strut but noise still there,

2nd Attempt: acura agent came in to verify the problem and took the entire assembly rear suspension apart and found nothing wrong with it but the noise still present so they concluded that it is a normal noise on the TL (Which I don't agree because only one corner of the car is making the noise, left rear suspension is nice and quiet when ride over bump)

3rd attempt: Service manager refused service because he told me that Acura is will not fix the "clunking noise" because they think it is a normal sound.

4th attempt:
I took the car to a small local shop which is not Acura and some mechanic friends to check out the noises that I am hear from the one corner of the car (passenger rear suspension).
They all confirmed the noise is an irregularity of a suspension and suspected something is wrong with the strut and it assembly/bushing but inconclusive with the problem because it could be many things that can go wrong with it and recommended me to bring it back to Acura.
Acura refused service again and said the same thing like the 3rd attempt.

File a claim with BBB and the same Acura Claim representative that I dealt with earlier said the same thing again, that they will not fix anything regarding the clunking noise I hear because they think it is normal.

My opinion:
This is an Acura and it is over $40,000 dollars car so I expected a nice quiet and comfortable car but the "Clunking noise" really killed my excitement about owning this car.
Just a headeache everytime I look or drive it.
I am definately upset with Acura about how they handle this situation because they did not offer me any solution but they basically tell me live with the "clunking noise" from that one corner of the car.
and if the noise was normal, Acura mechanic wouldn't have change the strut the 1st time I brought it in...Why is Acura doing this??
and How can I get them to fix the problem I am having now, can anyone help? my frustration with Acura is to the roof now and hope to get this handle the sooner the better.

Excellent car!
By numberjack

2012 Acura TL Sedan Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Very happy with this car.
Excellent luxury car for a regular car price.
Paid $32.7K + tax for TL Tech.
I've had it for 8k miles now and it's been great!
Absolutely no problems at all.

Plenty of power, smooth, quiet, handles well, very comfortable seats, Amazing stereo system!!

Decent gas mileage for a mid sized luxury car, averaging 25 mpg overall in mixed driving; 28+ on long road trips.

This is an excellent car for this price range.
I paid about what a fully loaded accord/camry/altima would have cost, but got a much nicer & sportier luxury car instead.
No complaints whatsoever!

Sporty comfortable seats, luxurious soft leather, awesome stereo, excellent fit & finish and high quality interior, smooth quiet and very powerful performance.

I wish the trunk was bigger. Power folding mirrors and rain sensing wipers would be nice additions too.

GREAT CAR, ESPECIALLY FOR THE PRICE!!!
By mbessette

2012 Acura TL Sedan SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr Sedan AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2008 Range Rover Supercharged for this car and it drives just as good if not better than the Range. Also has better electronic features, reliability, and cost a third of the price. Overall just a good quality car very happy with it!!!!

P.S the AWD handled better than any other i have driving and i also drove a Subaru and an infiniti in the past

electronic features fun to drive super handling AWD plush interior

back seat a little cramped exterior could be a little more stunning some plastic cheap parts in interior

Sports car for the family man/woman
By acuratloh

2012 Acura TL Sedan SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Owned the car for a few months, so it's hard to rate the reliability.
It's made by Honda, so it should be reliable.
Once you drive the AWD version, you would have to be crazy to buy the front wheel drive version.
I didn't get the tech version because I didn't want the navigation system.
Built in ipod connection and usb port is nice.
This car handles like it's on rails.
I no longer have to worry about pulling out onto a busy road when the roads are wet, this car flies.

I get 26mpg if I drive freeway only at 75mph.
I drive 70% city and 30% highways and average around 21mpg.
Test drove the infiniti g37x, which was nice, but much smaller interior.

AWD- drives so much better than the front wheel drive. Powerful engine. This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it :) Steering is excellent. Seats are form fitting (might be a problem if you're overweight). Excellent interior room for family. Black leather with white stitching. The car doors are solid. When you close the doors, the seal is excellent. Quiet interior. Love the automatic up and down front windows. Semifirm suspension/handling. The rear headrests fold down when not in use so they don't obstruct your view. Just drove in 8" of snow like I was on drive pavement.....priceless. Car's estimated mpg computer is dead acurate.

Subwoofer - doesn't hit the low notes that a true stereo person would like (ie nothing like the subwoofer for your home stereo). Should be able to get the back up camera without having to upgrade to the tech version. Automatic start has to be purchased as an option which consists of a 2nd key fob to connect to the original key fob which would be too bulky. A little difficult to buckle kids in the back seat with booster seat.

Awesome car and a great value too
By chop100

2012 Acura TL Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my base model last spring after researching luxury sedans for months.
I got a great deal ($29,500 and 0% interest for 60 months) and I couldn't be happier.
The car looks and feels like an expensive luxury sedan and yet I paid the same as an average mid-size sedan.
I went with the base to save $4K over the tech package, how loud of a radio does a 50 year old need anyway?
I have my own GPS and it has bluetooth and an aux hookup for my iPod already.
Handling is good but not great, wallows a bit due to the size of the car I guess.
The gas mileage has been the biggest surprise...averaging 27 mpg in mixed driving and even got 33 on a 1400 mile road trip.

Interior is awesome...feels very high end. I like the trip computer information.

Better tires on the base model...the Bridgestones are OK but why not just give every model the Michelins?