2020 Acura RDX Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $4,747
Select your model:
12345...13

Pros
Cons

Jack of All Trades

Panzrwagn, 11/08/2019
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

The RDX doesnt have the overall interior panache of an Audi Q5, or the powertrain options and steering feel of a BMW X3. It's a bit tighter than a Lexus RX, or the presence of a Mercedes GLC. So why bother, right? Because while it may ring up nothing but second places, at the end of the day, its the sum of all those, and the consistency of its performance that wins you over. And even fully loaded with the SH-AWD. Tech, and Advanced packages it comes in between $5,000 and $10,000 less than its competition. I got the Advanced package primarily for the adustable suspension. While the lower spec RDXs offer 4 driving modes, they don't change the suspension calibration, just steering, throttle, and transmission. And while no one would accuse those shocks of performing the witchcraft of the magnetodynamic shocks in all the high-end sports and go-fast cars, they are a big step in that direction. And that .matters to Acura as they reinforce their position as the sportier luxury brand. Theres more than a little NSX DNA here. Even the styling, striking from most angles evokes that, without the staidness of the European brands or the overdone 'angry samurai" front end of the Lexus. For reference the last few years I've owned a Mercedes ML350 (incredible utility and maneuverability, a great engine/transmission pairing, except when the transmission failed at 65,000 miles, and a "too bad, so sad" dealer response to the $9 ,000 replacement bill, and very overboosted steering) and a totally awesome, totally reliable 2016 Golf GTI that reminds you everytime you drive it that greatness comes in all shapes and budgets. Also there was a Boxster S and my wife's Z4 in the mix. Swapping the Benz for the Acura, after driving the others was easy. My biggest gripe? The font in the main display requires reading glasses for anyone over 50. Seriously. Much has ben said about the infotainment touchpad, but very little about the voice recognition. Which i now use for about 90% of all my nav and infotainment system control. Its not quite Siri or Alexa, mostly in its speed, but its quite reliable at address voice inputs, station selection, etc. That leaves the driving experience. I am 5' 11 and 235 lbs, and i can dial up accomodations in the seating and driving position that make multi-hour drives very comfortable, and the heated and vented sport seats I find both supportive and comfortable. Around town, comfort mode is fine, and sport mode definitely tightens things up a notch. SportPlus, make that 2 or maybe 3 notches. Power from the 2 liter, 272 hp turbo-4 matches the overall demeanor of the RDX very well, but boy, what 2.4 liter 325 hp turbo-4 would add. Or, more likely an NSX-style hybrid arrangement with a couple of electrics adding 100hp or so. The chassis feels up to it. In the end, though. I paid my money and took my choice. I could have afforded any of the others, but none of the so took my breath away as to make me want to part with an extra $10 grand. Fast forward 6 months and a few thousand miles. The RDX is a spectacular cruiser. I have learned to trust the ACC and the other automations. I'm still not in love with the user interface or the transmission selector. Both could stand some 'un-engineering' and made simpler. The sound system continues to amaze with the sound quality. The SH-AWD handling is mostly invisible, but on a couple occasions I have been startled by some athletic moves that I am unaccustomed to in an SUV. Power is adequate, but another 50 HP would be awesome. Reliability, as I would expect from a Honda product, has been absolute. Highway mileage is acceptable at around 26-27 MBG, but in town I can't get it above 16 MPG or so. Blame the smallish engine and largish turbo.

Great vehicle but not perfect

Auto Buyer in KC, 10/09/2019
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Updated on 07/24/2020 - One year and 8K miles into the car and we love everything except the gear "shifter" - still have to think too much to shift - not intuitive. Gas mileage on the road is running about 26 but in the city it's still at 19. You would think it could do better. The infotainment has rebooted a couple of times so that's a bit annoying - usually on long drives. One service issue with the rear hatch catching when opening (made a popping noise) but the dealer fixed it by adjusting the lift gate's hinges. This is a great cruiser and very comfortable and quiet. Can't say enough about the sound system and now like the touchpad after getting used to it. Love the Heads-Up Display more every time I drive it. In my opinion you won't go wrong with the RDX.--> end of update 2020 RDX Advanced. Overall a great car. Replaced an Audi Q5. $7K less and more features. We looked at Audi, Volvo, Lincoln, Mazda, Honda, etc. Initially felt the Advance package was a bit pricey but worth it since we'll keep the vehicle for 10 years. Love: Heads-up display, quiet, roomy, BLIS, Audio System is excellent, under the floor storage in rear, very quick and fun, dash, seat comfort, SH-AWD (thought this was a gimmick but it really works nice), 360 degree camera, and Apple CarPlay. Like the auto-lock feature in case you forget it automatically locks the car. Dislikes: Push button transmission (hate), ugly HUGE ride mode selector (hate), touch pad (Getting used to it),POOR GAS MILEAGE - averaging 18 MPG after 1K miles - not using sport mode - seems very low.

Great Performance, Fun To Drive!

Pete K., 06/25/2019
SH-AWD A-Spec 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

UPDATED 12-29-20 - After a call with Acura Client Services, they instructed my dealership to replace the amplifier on my RDX to correct the "No Audio Connection" problem it was giving me. This did correct the problem, and my ACS advisor was a pleasure to work with. The only remaining bug is that Apple Car Play crashes with some regularity, but I don't use the feature much (would be more useful to me if it were wireless). I am pleased with my vehicle, even had it out in the snow once (finally) and it was fine. Recommended. ----- Original Review: After researching small luxury SUVs for a few months and test driving the Lexus NX 300 and the Acura RDX, it was clear that the Acura RDX with SH-AWD and the A-Spec and Technology packages was the vehicle for me. The only extras I got were the remote start on the keyfob (works great from a football field away, or less if there are buildings in the way) and the Zurich Shield offered by the dealership, which I've used before on my Hondas to great success (didn't have to wax them for five years, water still beaded up). Here's what impresses me after 1000 miles, and what doesn't (no car is perfect, btw). Pluses: quiet, comfortable ride, Sport + mode is insanely fun compared to the Comfort mode (and unlike the Lexus, changes more than your shift points), huge moon roof really "opens up" the interior, lane assist and adaptive cruise control works WAY better than I expected, sensors really help you avoid fender benders via multiple visual and audible alerts, infotainment system is STELLAR and EASY TO USE, despite people ragging on it (there was one bug... wait for it), the A-Spec styling is REALLY sharp, especially the black contrast pieces and the 20" gray wheels, and there's tons of room inside for a small SUV. Minuses: the infotainment system gave me a "no audio connection" error once, which disappeared (then reappeared many times after this original review). This is a known issue that seems to be persisting with no known fix, according to the dealer, who told me to wait for software updates. Also, the brakes make some noise initially when wet or cold, but it quickly clears up for me after I drive a bit and use them. That's it. This is an absurdly nice vehicle with plenty of power as compared to the Lexus NX 300 F-Sport. The 10-speed (8 in Sport + mode) transmission shifts smoothly and effortlessly, and I find the overall experience of driving this vehicle simply excellent. I would have wanted to see better combined gas mileage than around 20 mpg, but with a 17 gallon tank the cruising range is acceptable. Super-nice vehicle, especially for the price. Love the Platinum White Pearl paint as well, the fleck looks incredible (was the reason I got the 2020 instead of the 2019, which would have been cheaper, but this color was not available).

Ad
Build Your RDX
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 3 Trims
  • $40,200starting MSRP

A very Nice Small Luxury SUV

Lewisr, 03/09/2020
4dr SUV w/Technology Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

We moved to the 2020 Acura RDX-Tech from a 2018 Honda Accord EXL-with Nav, and have owned the vehicle for 10 days. We loved the Accord, which we believe is one of the best buys available in a vehicle today. Because my wife and I are in our mid 70s, however, getting out of the low-to-ground sedan required pushing upward. Having owned several SUVs in the past, some of which required stepping down to get out, we tried several new crossover SUVs and liked the Acura RDX the best. The RDX is a pleasure to drive with outstanding handling and comfort. The engine is very responsive and the steering is precise. We found the upscale espresso interior to be very pleasing and the audio system has quite good sound. The high technology in the RDX is very similar to the Accord with two exceptions. First the transmission is button operated rather than a shift lever. Upon entering the RDX the Drive and Park were very obvious, however, I had to be shown how to push the Reverse button down. Once shown, it was no longer an issue. Occasionally, I still start to reach for the shift lever out of habit, but the push buttons are very easy to get used to. The second difference is the touch pad operation of the Navigation System and Audio/infotainment system. We loved the Navigation system in the Accord, which is a Garmin system and we have had 3 or more garmins in the past. Still it took about 3 days to get used to the Accord Garmin system. The touch pad system seemed odd at first, however, in a few days we have become accustomed to it and it is no longer an issue The touch pad system does not use a cursor, but moves from block to block on the screen. Let me say that I hate touch pads on laptops, and always plug a mouse in one of the USB ports to avoid using it. I like the touch pad on the RDX system, however, much better than the cursor type touchpad on lap tops. We are now used to the RDX touch pad and find it rather easy to use. One of the great things about the Acura system is that Voice Commands work really well. Once you set up the system, you almost never have to use the touch pad while driving. A combination of Voice Commands and steering wheel controls allows the driver to control the Navigation, Audio, and Phone without using the touchpad. The Navigation system finds most addresses/locations from voice commands much more readily than we were used to. Because the system is different from typical touch screens, Acura should have included a hard-copy of the navigation manual in the glove box, rather than having to wait for the free copy to come in the mail (after requesting it on their website). This would help avoid initial frustrations that some owners may feel. The only lasting criticism of the gps system is that there is no easy way to name a favorite. The RDX is a sharp looking vehicle both outside and inside. The seats are very comfortable and have a wide range of adjustment. The electronics, including adaptive cruise control, accident avoidance, and steering assist all work flawlessly. Thus far we are averaging 24 mpg around town and 27-28 on the highway, much less than the 36-37mpg with the Accord. Overall we are very pleased with this purchase and believe the RDX is a good value with a lot of nice upscale features. I am updating my review on September 9, 2020. I am downgrading the RDX on Technology because our infotainment system says it needs an update but the updates fail. It says if it fails repeatedly (more than 10 times it has failed) take it to your Acura dealer. My dealer says there is no fix yet! This is the first vehicle that I have owned where the dealer provides no solutions.

Good Looking Car

Jill S, 07/14/2019
4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

We traded in our 2014 BMW X3 on a 2020 Acura RDX. We bought the base model in a beautiful diamond white pearl with parchment upholstery. Very good looking car indeed. Looks like a true performance SUV. Getting in the car it gets even better. Very good design with superbly comfortable seats that outdo the BMW. Behind the wheel is a pure pleasure, so easy to drive with a lot of safety features on the base model. Enough power to pull away from stop lights with ease and for overtaking when needed. Good rear visibility in large side mirrors as well. We looked at getting another BMW but were blown away by how good value for money the Acura is. Highly recommend it. After having owned it for six months it's still as good as ever. We choose to drive it in the sport mode as it seems to be more responsive.

12345...13