Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews

$4,900

Used CL for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2001 Acura Cl 3.2 Type-S Coupe -- Excellent

jrswifty, 05/06/2014

I loved my 2001 Acura so much that I figured I'd share my great experience. I drove my car for three years running it up to 180000km. This car never let me down and started every single time - even in the -40 Canadian winters. I never had any problems with the transmission or any other part of the car. The Acura Cl Type-S is truly a joy to drive, lots of power for all sorts of fun. Handled excellent in the winter and on gravel roads. Unfortunately I was hit in an intersection writing my vehicle off. That being said, the car kept me safe and the necessary airbags deployed when and where they were needed. I now drive an Infiniti and it is not at all comparable to my great Cl.

Transmission

alexei2, 08/10/2013

Bad transmissions with the Honda's and Acura's. Heating is the major failure for transmissions.

NOW...Read This!! The 3.2CL-S is AWESOME

Acura4Ashlee, 11/05/2003

After wreaking my '99 Prelude in April I didn't know what to buy! After doing a little research, I found a blue '01 CL-S at a Chevy dealership...(yep, Chevy)...and for a great price too!! The car only had 8800 miles on it. The test drive was awesome. I fell in love with the car as soon as I sat in it! The dealership said some guy traded it in for a Corvette (feel sorry for him). All I can say is that I'm glad that he did! I'm not crazy about Corvettes....but my Acura.....now that's a different story!!

My 2001 Acura CL-S

smileyhollow, 01/24/2012

In 2000, I bought a 2001 Acura CL-S brand new and I love it. It has 49,000 miles and the only things I have ever had done to it is have the oil changed and the scheduled maintenance. The only thing bad I have to say about this car is that it didn't hold it's value as I thought it would. Even though I have 4 people standing in line to buy it, I am keeping it and maybe sell it later. It is a blast to drive and now that there are not many on the road, it gets the looks. I think it is a beautiful and a fun car. So if you ever see a shiny, bright red 2001 CL-S in perfect condition passing you, wave, it will probably be me.

Just Be Cautious

cdabs3, 12/17/2014

My uncle got the car new in 2001. He gave it to me 3 years ago with 93,000mi on it (nothing for a Honda) within the first 3 months of having it at 96,000mi the transmission died. This was the first of my problems. The side motor mount as well as front, were worn out so much they were not holding the engine in place anymore. At 123,867mi when I HAD to give it up because of the enormity of problems it was having Acura quoted me at $4,895 for all the repairs. List of items that needed replacement: All four rotors, brake pads(normal), All four struts with the coils because they were "weak", both front CV axels, and the front passenger brake caliper. Maybe I just had bad luck but just be weary.

For My Money-Unbeatable

Paul, 09/02/2008

Acura may not have won over the hardcore luxury sports car owners, but this car is amazing for the price. You're given a standard 3.2 liter with 225 horsepower and I get about 24 mpg average. On the highway it can reach 30 mpg. The car is already loaded (no options): 6 disc CD changer, heated seats, dual power seats, TCS, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, auto-manual 5 speed trans., auto climate control, power sunroof. All this for under $33k. The 225 horsepower engine delivers a brilliant tone and is pretty quick. The styling is a large improvement from the older model as well. The interior is so easy to navigate too. The seats are comfortable and leather clad.

Until Now

ladyveee, 12/20/2012
3.2 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2001 3.2 CL since 2004. That's right she's 11 years old and has been so good to me as I have been to her. Last week I had an interesting experience that I've never had before. She putted 3 times while in traffic and just died. It wasn't the battery and 30 minutes later she started up and the problem has not reocurred. She has been with mechanic for approximately a week and they can't find anything wrong. Mechanic has been driving her to and from work to see what happens. If mechanic can not find the issue, I may have to consider replacing her, I drive too often and late at night and am afraid of getting stranded or worse. Up to this point she has been reliable. I love her but

my Ricer

redplanetlover, 08/16/2014

I bought my 2001 CL 3.2 Type S around Christmas in 2006 and as of now I have replaced the alternator and the power steering pump. That's it! I did it in my garage for a couple hundred bucks all in. I have had NO problems with the transmission at all and I am at 165000 K right now. I think the transmission problems are from people who shift manually and I rarely do that. The computer does a better job than my ears can. What can I say? I have thought about replacing her but every car I test drive is no quicker and most don't have the handling of my Type S. I have found that to show an improvement I would have to spend $50,000 and why bother? If you can find one, buy it and smile.

Great Car!

T, 09/11/2008

Man I love this car. I've had it going on 5 yrs, and currently have 218+k miles. This car just keeps going, I've only had to do some reg. maintenance and 2 sets of tires, of course from the mileage ware. I have to say the comfort in the room and seats are great If I rent, or borrow another car, I cant wait to get back in mine. My only cons would be the exterior road noise, and the trans. is a bit sensitive and needs freq. monitoring, but thats any Honda.

Amazing

Sebastian, 12/17/2009

I have 254,681 miles on my CL and it runs like a dream! I bought it used in 2004 and it had just around 100,000 miles on it then. I'm not sure what the guy before me did to it in respect to repairs and such but I have not had one problem with the engine since I have had it. I replaced a bearing once and have had some trouble with the electrical... my volume turns up when I turn it down sometimes haha, but it's still an amazing car. The stereo is sick! I love the car.

Like a old pair of worn out boots

B.C, 11/16/2015
3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

2001 CL type-S Aesthetically it is terrible. The clear coat is really thin so the paints fades in spots and on the edges. The fake "wood" trim peels off everywhere in the interior. The interior hardware is really sturdy other than the trim and the cover for the front cup holders. The tranny had issues with the torque converter which was a recall but Honda took care of that. The trainsmission slipped rarely for a few years after that but works ok 7 years later. The Engine is a diamond. It won't die on me even though I wanted it too so the wife would let me get a new car. I really don't treat the engine the respect it deserves. The O2 sensors quit on me 8 years ago and I use nothing but regular gas. Oil change 3 to 4 times a year with regular oil. The car runs rich due to my negligence but passes emissions every time. I get between 16.8 and 17.2 mpg city driving. My assessment...the car is like a pair of old work boots that gets uglier in time but won't wear out. It's dependable

I LOVE THIS CAR!!

vip, 11/07/2008

I have this ac for about 4 years now. Bought it 16K now has 100 K +. I am telling you, I still look forward to getting in this car and drive to work. Absolute fun car to drive. Still drive brand new. I think it can easily run an another 100k without any issues. A++

hot rod with class

coolyma, 01/10/2004

i only want to say it is hot rod with class

She's A Beauty BUT Transmission Issues GALORE!

pr_diva2012, 08/03/2012

I purchased this vehicle in 2005 certified pre-owned from an Acura dealership in NJ with less then 40K miles... she lasted me up until a couple days ago (currently 222k miles.) The car is a great ride and it went the distance but the only thing is that I had problems with the transmission... I had to replace the original transmission in 2008 (which was a doozy) and just a couple days ago, my maintenance required light came on... went to go check it out and ofcourse the trans is on it's way out. This is my 2nd owned Acura... I am going to bid farewell to Acura and go to the Lexus side of the street.

acura-cl type s

dmatch01, 04/14/2002

great car. lots of complements from friends and strangers.

Love this car

acurafun, 12/28/2008

I bought this a few months ago bc of the low miles and i must say I love everything about it and will prob own this for another 100k miles. I bought an extended warranty but doubt I will ever use it. I replaced an 04 TL and must say this car is older but much better and I am so glad I went used with Acura.

Acura 3.2CL S Type Review

Edd Moss, 05/14/2002

Car is fun to drive as it is agile and responsive with the bonus of good gas mileage. The car comes with what would be options in other cars and the value is the best in the industry, price to quality.

Great Car

decided, 05/15/2002

This car is a perfect blend of comfort and performance. Fun to drivw, looks great and as reliable as a car can get.

Love it!

flipper, 06/07/2002

Love this car. I did 6 mos of research and this is the best bang for the buck. Fun to drive, looks cool (black w/ aftermarket rims), and no mechanical problems at 15,000 miles.

Great Extension!!!

DOL, 07/09/2002

The navigation is worth the extra $. Drives great, feels good, good for racing.

Acura 3.2Cl

kgain2, 07/16/2002

For this price... it doesn't get any better than this!

'01 Acura at 15K

Lou Greenzweig, 07/28/2002

This is a fantastic, reliable auto. I've only done normal maintenance in the 15K I've owned it. Handles extremely well, does 0-60 in 6.5 secs., gets 27 - 30 mpg on the road and is a pleasure on long trips. Hold two sets of golf clubs plus some luggage in the trunk. It certainly holds the road in wet and dry weather.

This car is great!

LOveSpeed, 10/24/2002

This car is great, I have had for over two years and only had one small problem. The electric seat memory gave out and was replaced very quickly. This car is really fast and I love the speed that I am getting. The gas mileage is running around 29mpg on the highway. The only other small issue is the rims and how easily they get scratched. Would recommend this car to anyone and everyone!

Big Bang for the Buck

t_dub, 12/02/2002

Offers more car for the money. So many standard features make this car a bargain. The 260hp engine is supreme. Punch the accelerator and the car responds with a rush. Hard cornering and braking are less impressive...BMW 330ci holds the trophy. Not a bad car to look at, but appears bland when next to the Bimmer. Excellent car for driving around town and on the open road! I've had some problems with rattles that can't seem to be fixed. The wheels are prone to be easily scratched.

Think twice about this one....

ar1906, 12/17/2010

I bought my cl type-s used 4 years ago with just a little over 100k miles on it. It has been better than I expected but this car has a serious transmission issue. I've had to replace 2, the first was well over $2k and the second was fixed under warranty and now at 215,000 miles I'm looking at getting a third!!! If your thinking about buying one used beware that your gonna have to replace the transmission at some point. Other than that issue this car has been great, it's fun to drive with very comfortable seats for long trips. Verdict: I'm selling it and getting a 07 TL, why? U can't beat honda and acura value!!!'m selling and getting a 07 TL as mileage is pretty decent too. To sum it up,

No (Major) Complaints

cat, 07/07/2008

Great car all around. Had problems with initial transmission, but Acura happily replaced it. (It helps that I had bought the extended warranty.) Everyone I know loves my car (and most of them are jealous of me for driving it...oh well, that's their problem!).

Great Midlife Crisis Car

bpats, 05/09/2002

I put lots of miles on my car every year. I have taken the 3.2 over all the major and most minor roads in CA. The 3.2 is a blast to drive. It is quick, fast, and handles well. For fun try Hwy 36 from Scotia to Redding and you will see for yourself.

Bone Stock 15.6 with junk in the trunk

walt by default, 11/02/2004

My brother told me not to test drive it. My wife said "get what you want, the boys have their cars, I have mine, you don't have to get a four door family sedan." What a wonderful wife. This is a great car. It is very very fast and very very comfortable. I am 6'1" tall and weigh 290# and this car is one of the few that accomodates my height and girth with the standard leather driver's seat. My oldest son's Tiburon is slightly tricked out and he turns 15.9 at Capital Raceway in Crofton. I turned a 15.6 after learning how to master the racing tree lights. I had a full sized spare, two 17" rims and a set of clubs in the trunk when I did it. Not bad.

After 397000 miles this car accelerates like new

Ewa Papiez, 12/20/2016
3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It is not available anymore

Class and performance at a fair price

ChicagoJay, 07/31/2006

I got into this car used, with 45,000 miles after owning a custom-ordered '99 Grand Prix GTX (GTP w/ SLP upgrades). I have to say, 3 years later, the Acura has definitely held its value better than my Grand Prix did. It also performed comparably, but is much quieter. The interior is what really sets the Acura apart. Good leather, wood grain plastic, hooks to keep the foot mats in place (the Grand Prix required after-market mats because the factory ones were useless). To top it all off, my Acura was assembled in Toledo, OH whereas my Grand Prix was put together in Canada. The Acura is a bit heavier than the Grand Prix, so it doesn't corner as well, and it's not as fast off the start.

I'm Still Driving It

id03557, 07/03/2008

After 103,000 miles it seems like it will go another 100,000 no problem. It gets 30 mpg hwy and has only one problem; the tranny which Acura replaced under warranty at 63,000. It is quick, handles well and I have only put one set of tires on it at 65,000. My biggest complaint is that it picks up a lot of road noise... RRRRRRR. Otherwise it handles well, is faster than 98% of cars out there, and just keeps on keeping on. Heck it still has the original battery. I wish I could buy another one, but Acura, in its wisdom (?) doesn't offer a sporty coupe anymore.

Works for me!

uhh, 03/04/2002

This was my first "real" car, so perhaps I'm biased, but I am still in love with my 2001 CL 19 months later. It handles wonderfully, the amenities are very nice, and the power blows away everything in it's price range. (except the Maxima, which can't touch the amentities/value) Personally, I can forgive Acura for the cheesy fake-wood; it's not a big deal to me. But I am a little disappointed with the steering wheel controls for the radio, and the fact that my brakes and tires are already shot.

Got to get past the transmission issue

tboneh, 12/30/2006

If you can get past the transmission issue this is a great car to drive daily. It is comfortable, quiet, and has the best of both worlds, power and good gas mileage. On a recent trip I drove from south Ga. to Delray Beach Fla. on one tank. I averaged 80 mph and 29 mpg. The ride is firm enough to make handling very good. I did have the trans. replaced at 53K and plan to change fluid in pan every 10K. I hope that will help. I was told that Honda has made several improvements to try to make the replacement transmissions better. It's a shame that tramsmissions are a issue because the rest of the car is rock solid.

Now you see me...

Adam Hill, 05/17/2008

Ok honestly, I am a 22 year old male and I give this car hell in a handbasket. I live out in the country so the roads can feel my 260+ hp. I love this car. It sounds like a T-rex lives under my hood. From the line, automatic mode is probably faster than the manumatic but hey, nobody likes that anyway on any car. If you wanna shift all the time get a five speed its that simple. Car is really light for a 3.2 engine and is getting rarer by the month. No problems yet with mine and like I said I drive it like Mr. Hyde.

great value in older car with super features

Eric Norstog, 01/29/2017
3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a beautiful gran turismo car for 2 adults with 2 children that will more than keep up with traffic while looking super. It handles effortlessly, is an easy car to drive through curvy roads, and mine gets 32 mpg at a cruise controlled 75. Caveats! The five-speed transmission will blow up under heavy use. If you buy this car, take it to a transmission specialist to install a radiator mounted oil cooler, and open up the 3rd gear oil passage. Then use synthetic transmission oil only in the transmission. Then switch to 5w-20 synthetic motor oil for the engine. That's how to keep the transmission running and get 30+ mpg cruising! At 95 mph cruise controlled, 28 mpg.

Bad Transmission

kaumudi, 12/02/2011

I had acura integra before drove till it reached 250k and then donated it never had any problems. decided to try another acura and guess what tranny out in less than 4 months of driving. Stay away from 3.2TL models altogether. My cousins bought the same car, engine head blew on the highway.

Failed Transmission at 138,000 Miles

adamsbauer, 06/05/2008

The car looks great and I really like the way it runs but I expect more than 138,000 miles from an Acura transmission. I wish Acura would have done more to help me but I am stuck with a car that has a lot of miles and will have a new transmission soon and I am out several thousand dollars. If I buy from the same company I will buy an Accord. No need to pay extra if they don't take care of you and their cars don't last.

What a Hot Car

wsdyer, 04/20/2002

The head and legroom is enough for me however for a person larger or taller than me 6'1'' 290# the ergonomics are for smaller people. That said - everything else is wonderful. The ride is as smooth as glass and the power transfer from the motion of my foot to "gettin' on down the road is immediate. The tiptronics is fun to play with and the vtec engine is every bit of the 260 horsepower at 5500rpm. Excellent response, brakes are abs and stop you faster than I was ready for. The cost was higher than I wanted to pay but the curb appeal is magnetic. I've only had her for a week so I don't have any long term data. But so far she's a blessing!!!!

acura CL Type-S

R.H., 05/03/2002

This is the best value in the entry- luxo market. Exceptional power delivery. Really takes off after 4200 rpm's. Nice exhaust note,smooth supple ride,torque steer is controlled with decent road feel through the steering wheel. The car has a solid build quality and interior ergonomics arewell thought out.

Bad Transmissions

hate bad trannys, 11/24/2009

This has been one of the best cars I've ever driven. Quiet, fast, great stereo. I would go out and buy another one except for one fact. I am on my 3rd transmission and Acura will not stand by their product. They replaced one at 65,000, another at 80,000, and now at 136,000 they want to charge me $5,000 (the first 2 were warrantied) for a new one. I still own the car but bought another brand because of this experience.

Nice ride, except for the tranny

rs118, 05/07/2010

Bought it used 5 years ago at 23k in immaculate condition. Driven hard and now at 110k. Only routine maintenance required. EXCEPT FOR the transmission that has been replaced 3 times at the dealer, all under warranty with loaner cars provided. Original slipped at 36k, 2nd was noisy at 91k, 3rd was quiet but slipped at 98k, the 4th is a little noisy but good. The ride is rough on cracked pavement, but the handling is pretty good (it's slightly lowered but on original wheels). It's garaged and the paint / interior are still in great condition. Nice stereo but lacks bass; an amp and subwoofer cured that. Tires and break pads have lasted well. MPG is marginal, premium required.

I like it but...

acura lover, 07/29/2002

I finally bought an adult car having always owned hatchbacks. I compared the CL to Audi,BMW,Lexus,Infiniti and Volvo and found the CL to be the best value for the money. The CL has the biggest engine, horsepower and amenities. However, I do have a several complaints. I wish the doors would lock when I start the engine and unlock when I stop the engine like in the Integra. Also, could they put back the side moulding. The most annoying part is the door ledge. There is a little ledge that always gets dirty when it rains and my pant leg hits it getting out of the car.

Best Car for power driver

Shahram, 12/04/2002

I love my CL type S. It is fast and it is powerful. Much better than BMW, Mercedez, Audi, for the price you pay. love the navigation system. Its much better than BMW's navigation system.

Pretty good car

dfettner@sbcglobal.n, 12/07/2002

It's a very good car. Fuel economy is not great. But the quality is very good. The engine is smooth and powerful. The ride is very smooth. The features are great.

In Love

suslea, 12/20/2002

This is the best car I've ever owned-- elegant, comfortable, AND reliable. I cried when some woman smashed me in the rear, and I'm too spoiled to be happy in the rental car. Can't wait til my car is returned and I can drive in comfort and style again. Gets 26 to the gallon -- the dealer is super -- the ride is smooth as can be, and the handling is dreamlike.

Acura CL Premium 2001 - Fun Car

Firsttimeacuraowner, 12/26/2002

Got my 01 CL Premium with 14K in 12/2000. As of 12/2002, I have 40K. Only problem I've had is that the rotors had to be replaced. Steering, acceleration are fine, tranny shifts smoothly. I get 20/31 mpg. Seats are supportive. Visibility is good when checking over shoulder to change lanes. Main gripe: side-view mirrors are placed such that they obstruct your forward, side view when turning. Minor gripe: cup holders are poor - a medium iced- tea from the fast food shop can tip over if you have to make a mildly abrupt stop. Great car for the $ if you want something decent.

Refined Quality with a little Zip

teton_jumper, 12/31/2002

The Type S is a beautifully constructed vehicle that exudes quality. The 260 HP gives the CL good punch, whether from a dead stop or while passing. I have owned several Mercedes and this vehicle is comparable as a road cruiser, but doesn't quite achieve the German road feel. The handling is a bit heavy, as would be expected from a front-driver. Overall, a comfortable and competent performer.

Great Value, but you get what you pay 4

BrianV, 01/07/2003

Bought this car new with navigation. Front seats are sporty but get uncomfortable after long trips. Back seat has lots of legroom but the seats aren't comfortable at all. Exhaust note is nice. Bose stereo is pretty bad for a Bose (no highs, no lows, it must be Bose really is true here). 5spd gearing is good, but the actual transmission is quite bad. It doesn't shift smootly at all, and there is major lags on the manumatic mode. Interior build quality needs attention, this thing rattles and it wasn't even a year old.

I Love My CL-S

Jersey Girl, 06/11/2003

25,000 miles and not a single mechanical problem here. The car is a blast to drive and my bright red CL- Type S still gets envious looks! It's fast and smooth. It's easy to do 85 mph on the highway before you even realize it. The only complaints I have are a thin paint job...it seems to scratch and chip easily and noise from the moonroof if I leave the cover open. Other than that, I am an extremely satisfied customer. I would buy another Acura in a heartbeat!

Acura CL Type S

rcmarsh, 02/24/2003

Great ride, plenty of punch.

51050