Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Beautiful car
By dviperkrzy1

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

With my personal experience of having different Honda made vehicles, I can say by far that the Acura CL Type S is one of Acura's best vehicles by far because of its balance of luxury and sport. I love to drive this car on the freeway and have it ride smooth even at 100. There was a transmission recall on the vehicle but as soon as the dealer changes the transmission for you for free no improvements needed.

Type S engine and suspension. Lots of power under the engine. Ride is very smooth.

Excellent Car!
By Cash

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Got this car with 58K on it and now has less than 65K. Absolutely love this car, no probs so far. ABS and side airbag turned on and dealership took care of it. Wish I had bought a type S. When I got it, I tinted my windows black, recently put some black rims on it and smoked out the front and rear tail lights. Next project to put some lambo doors and pop up navi and dvd player. This is my 3rd Honda/Acura and will absolutely stick with them! Next car is the TL.

Love the King seats, antiglare mirror, woodgrain interior along with the system. Decent size coupe, smooth ride, xenon lights. The back is spacious too. I am 6'2 and I sat in the back and it was comfy.

I hate the seat belts, never seem to roll back to its original spot. Of course the transmission.

Best for the budget!
By Dan

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my CL-S over a year ago with 76K miles on it and so far it has performed very well. Excellent build quality and premium feel to interior. Most people think the car is less than one year old! The 260HP engine was ahead of its time and can still keep up with recent models like the Infiniti G35 coupe. Although the mileage was high, it was an excellent value for under $13K. I just replaced the front rotors and pads at around 88K miles ($400), and the only other expense I incurred were the four new tires ($650). The car has been pulling slightly to the left since I bought it and after two alignments the problem has not been corrected. It's been an overall pleasure to drive.

Power, look, quality.

Suspension needs some adjustments and does not feel confident over 95 mph. Auto-shift has delay and sometimes doesn't shift between 2nd and 3rd gear on the first attempt.

Got to get past the transmission issue
By tboneh

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

If you can get past the transmission issue this is a great car to drive daily. It is comfortable, quiet, and has the best of both worlds, power and good gas mileage. On a recent trip I drove from south Ga. to Delray Beach Fla. on one tank. I averaged 80 mph and 29 mpg. The ride is firm enough to make handling very good. I did have the trans. replaced at 53K and plan to change fluid in pan every 10K. I hope that will help. I was told that Honda has made several improvements to try to make the replacement transmissions better. It's a shame that tramsmissions are a issue because the rest of the car is rock solid.

Gas mileage, handling and comfort.

Ahhh, let me think. Oh yea, the transmission issues.

CL-S - Great to me
By cl in mn

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my CL-S w/Nav early (May 00) - and enjoyed having a car that wasn't too common,yet a real sleeper in performance (can run with some fast cars). I never had the transmission replaced that seemed so common - but watching it close (Acura stepped up and extended warr for all to 7 yrs/100K - a stand-up thing to do for a car company). The rest of the car's quality has been great - literally nothing has gone wrong. Had a squeaky sunroof and rear cargo lid - but both were fixed early in the car's life. I still ENJOY driving this car 6 1/2 years later.

The VTEC is great - the sound is fabulous north of 3700 RPM and the mileage is great if you stay off the pedal. I like this Nav system (circa 2000) better than most cars I've driven, including a Pioneer AVIC system I have in another car (big $$, 2005 tech.).

The rims are prone to scratching if you rub a curb. Acura should have launched this car with a 6 spd manual right away - might have helped it last longer.