Used 2003 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo Xc90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Great SUV
By curtr

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The safetst SUV out there. Exudes confidence in all types of driving from local city city to extreme mountain terrain. Gas mileage for this size vehicle is above average. Currently at 19.2 city and 24.6 highway on premium fuel. Interior comfort is best in its class. Total experience is above average.

Favorite Features

Oooh so warm heated seats and the most comfortable seats in the automotive world.

Suggested Improvements

Thicker padding on door arm rests and center airm rests. Sunglass holder in roof console.

Average XC90 (V70XC was better!)
By Bushepy

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The XC90 has been a disappointment with the following: overall build quality, fit and finish (both interior and exterior, noisy electroic climate control, poor audio system (the premium Dolby Pro-logic II surround sound is very disappointing), and, most disappointing, the lack of adequate engine power while accelerating onto highways or while climbing mountains. I also have had major problems with my Volvo retailer on warranty work (they damged the car. This could be my very last Volvo.

Favorite Features

The safety features on the XC90, inlcuding Volvo's leadership in car and passenger safety.

Suggested Improvements

The 5 cylinder engine is weak - more horse power is needed. Improve the premium audio system or go back to the Dolby Pro Logic-I system. Improve Volvo customer service!

Great car, performance could be better
By Doug Reynolds

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

The Volvo XC90 is an excellent package for a person who wants the performance and feel of a European sport sedan, but the versatility of a large SUV. This car feels light and nimble, but has variable performance. Sometimes there is a lag between 1st and 2nd gears. Braking is excellent. Ride and handling are very good. Engine is quiet. Gas mileage and range is poor. The car is well-engineered for versatility. Second row seating adjusts individually for all 3 seats. Center seat slides all the way forward. Third row is two independent seats which fold into the third row. Comfort and quality of materials is excellent. Dash layout is great.

Favorite Features

NAV system Adjustable second row seating Ride / Comfort Handling (18" wheels) Performance (some days it feels good) Build Quality - Fit / Finish Tailgate! Styling Safety

Suggested Improvements

Performance-some days it's not so good Turbo whine 1st to 2nd gear AutoTrans performance

Get it!
By bcrafto

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this for my wife. She absolutely loves it! I have a '98 Mercedes Benz ML320, and in a lot of ways, the Volvo is much nicer. Now I understand that I am comparing a '04 to a '98. We have only had the vehicle for 3 weeks, but I don't have anything to complain about except for the price. I did manage did get $1,200 off of sticker though. That is much better than what I have heard most are paying.

Favorite Features

Size. Versatility. Space behind the third row seats. All seats go flush into the ground. Silky smooth trany.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more oomph in the engine. I have the 5 cylinder AWD. Low range 4WD.

not sure
By jo-lin

2003 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Had the vehicle a month and a few things puzzle me. With three rows of seating, my family is cramped. Also, the automatic transmission fells sloppy. Aside from these, has a nice car-like feel.

Favorite Features

Seats, safety and the sound system.

Suggested Improvements

A 5-speed manual transmission and the newly developed diesel engine that Volvo sells evertywhere else in the world!