Used 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

fun to drive but will cost you!
By nymom2

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have leased our Tiguan for almost a year and it is a very fun car to drive - zippy, responsive, excellent in the snow. Our biggest complaint is the gas millage. Our 2003 Honda Pilot needs less refueling. Also, the cloth interior get messy very easily. It sounds like a petty complaint but the car always needs vacuuming. After four months we had an electrical issue that was covered under the warranty. It made me glad we leased, not purchased the car. The trunk is not big enough to hold a set of golf clubs. My husband finds the driver's seat uncomfortable. As far a styling goes, this is not a poor man's Audi A5 but a souped- up VW Golf.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Air Condition
By dn5053

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The German engineering on the air conditioning has a lot to be desired at 90 degrees and up - very inadequate!

Suggested Improvements

Definitely need a bigger air conditioning unit!

Key design issues
By virginiaman

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The panic button on the key is poorly placed and is liable to go off if anything else is in your pocket whihc might bump up against the red button. This is not a one time occurance for me, happening nine diffeent times in the first two months of ownership. I must carry the key in a separate pocket to avoid the chance of the alarm activating in my driveway when I am in my house. Mileage on this car is way below what the sticker advertised. My old Volvo S60 beats this by 150 miles for the same size tank. Interior is well appointed, but I find the bucket seats uncomfortable for long distance. I bought this to transport an aging parent. I would sell absent this consideration.

Suggested Improvements

Key and seat redesign. Drivers seat is pitched too far back and cuts off circulation. Bucket seat sides are too stiff and makes long distance driving uncomfortable.

Tiguan Rocks- No Buyer's Remorse Here!
By stevef20

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my Tiguan in Nov, 2010. Driven 15K miles to this point. Wanted an SUV for the AWD, but didn't want a tank. 4Motion handles outstanding in snow, sleet, and rain. Panoramic sunroof is awesome. Engine accelerates smoothly. I haven't experienced significant delay as others have mentioned. Strong engine with sufficient torque at low RPM's. To summarize: Excellent SUV! Somewhat pricey ($31,630 + tax), but I've experienced zero issues with vehicle since purchase. German design and build provides value not found in domestic vehicles at this point, IMO.

Favorite Features

Excellent 2.0 engine!. SE 4 Motion model has 18" rims which look great. Panoramic sunroof is unique... great on those overcast winter Midwest days. Design looks great. AWD is fantastic in inclimate weather.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage has underperformed versus sticker (no surprise!). I'm averaging 18 city/23 hwy. Larger Navigation screen would be a nice upgrade, considering the price point. Seats are only partially powered.... full power is needed. Most importantly: Add a Diesel TDI version!!!.

This Car Rocks!!
By apl123

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Lease on my wife's Rav 4 was coming up so we finally decided on the Tiguan. I neve owned a VW and I have to say that this car to me and my wife is far superior in quality, fit and finish, acceleration, style, overall feel, than the Rav 4. Yes we did sacrifice some trunk space but kids are grown so it didn't matter. The passing power is like a 6 cylinder and really moves thanks to the Turbo and More importantly the 6 speed transmission which is not offered by most of the competition.We got the S 4 Motion and the Standard Equipment was more than Japanese cars offer,Blue tooth,aluminum wheels and privacy Glass to name a few. The interior is gorgeous!! My wife loves it, happy wife happy life

Favorite Features

Aluminum wheels,Pirelli Scorpion tires,interior design and finish,acceleration,ride, stereo sound, adjustable center armrest, layout of controls, overall classy styling,German engineering,cup holders, Rear Hatch goes up unlike swing out of Rav 4, Great Lease incentives, Command of the road,handling is unreal!! High end materials ,I can go on forever I love it!!

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have the audio controls on the steering wheel oin base model, i guess I want it all.