Used 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

2009 VW Rabbit 2dr
By 2009 Rabbit

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Well built with more than expected standard features. Excellent performance and safety features. Interior of car feels like a much larger car. Average mileage has been 27 mpg in all around driving. Very quiet interior and smooth 6 spd tiptronic auto trans. I am extremely happy after 2 months with this gem.

Favorite Features

Interior appointments and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Add a center arm rest as standard or at least an option.

I'm a believer!
By Bossanova

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When it was time to trade in my old car (a '95), I looked at nearly all of the cars in the $15-20K market. Drove the Mazda3, Vibe, Versa, Matrix, Civic, xD... they all kind of felt the same. I had resigned myself to a functional compact with few features that I could "make do" with; then I drove the Rabbit. WHOA - it was like finding religion. There is absolutely no car in this class that is nearly as fun to drive. Plus even the base model is packed with extras. The interior is refined with quality materials. I got the 2-door 5-speed manual and I love it. I've never owned a VW before, but the Rabbit has definitely made me a believer.

Favorite Features

Solid build quality, great handling, peppy 2.5L engine, lots of room (I'm a big guy), red LEDs light the interior at night, easy-to-read gauges, hidden iPod dock, heated seats, adjustable center armrest, rear wiper, chilled glove compartment, defrost for side-view mirrors and back window

Suggested Improvements

Make the 4-door available with a 5-speed manual transmission, provide a center armrest in the back seat on the 2-door, include a MPG dash display like in the 2008 models

The Thunder Bunny Lives
By conroypaw

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2009 VW Rabbit, after looking at other cars in its class, including the Mitsubish Lancer GTS, Mazda 3, and Subaru Impreza. While I think I could have been happy with any of the other cars mentioned, I truly love my Rabbit. I could not justify the additional price of the GTI for a few fractions of a second faster from 0-60 mph, and the added costs for premium fuel and insurance. The Rabbit will satisfy all but the most power hungry. Fuel economy is mediocre, but a fair trade off for power and performance. The Rabbit has the best build quality, not just in intelligent design, but in the material used. It does not feel like a sub $20,000 car, nor does it drive like one.

Favorite Features

Perfectly sized steering wheel and fairly intuitive controls. Excellent gear shift lever. I love the way the gear selector "snickity-snicks" into place with precision with moderately short throws. There's a lot of nice touches like the Gorilla Mat for the trunk, fasteners and the full sized spare!

Suggested Improvements

While cool, the switchblade key / fob combo is big, bulky, and EXPENSIVE to replace. Push button "Start" would be nice. Make the 6-disc CD player MP3 capable option. A center console storage / arm rest would be nice. Replace the seatback adjustment knob with a lever for easier use. Fog lamps?

hope its not a lemon
By vin

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just purchased brand new rabbit 2009 5 min after leaving dealership check engine light goes on when trying to merge on the highway car lost power pressing gas & car actually slowing down lasted almost a minute not long but very scary just the same. Drove it back to dealership they gave a rented car while they diagnose the problem not a good start especially since its brand new I'm hoping this is the first and last problem..

Favorite Features

ride handling leather steering wheel feel xenon headlights

Suggested Improvements

reliability?

Re Knock Sensor issue
By derblederb

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was looking for a little hatchback. I picked the Rabbit over the Mazda 3 and Imprezza because it was more fun driving, cost less, and is supposed to get a little better mileage. It also got great CR ratings. I've had four people in it a few times and there seems to be enough room. The car reminds me of the civic hatchbacks from the early 90s.

Favorite Features

It is pretty maneuverable and responsive like you expect from a little car, but it is really smooth on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

I just had the same problem a couple other people here reported. Just after turning over 600 miles the car started rev-limiting at 3000rpm. Then a couple miles later the check-engine light came on. The shop says the knock sensor needs to be replaced. Not a good sign for a 1 month old car.