2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
best thing i have ever bought
By rabbitfan on 01/01/09 18:16 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I went from a 4 door Tacoma to the rabbit. Never again will I buy a truck. Fits my 6,3 self, wife, and newborn perfectly. Awesome display, speakers, ride is sooo quite and smooth. All these complaints on the mph, I have had no such issues. Nor have I had any issues with blind spots. A blast to drive slow or fast. Aux hook up for the ipod is always a plus, satellite radio is an option on some. Auto door locks after 30 seconds is a great for safety.

quick feet
By vdubber on 12/25/08 10:24 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I could not be more pleased with the bang for buck total. Its quick, fast, quiet, comfortable and stable fit and finish are way above price point. For me there is no comparable car in this class also not many on road that is dominated by Asian vehicles.

High quality, nice features, and fun
By Eric on 12/14/08 22:00 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had a 2006 Rabbit for a short time (it was totaled in an accident), which influenced my decision to buy my 2009 Rabbit recently. The Rabbit feels like a solid, well-built car. It's a fun car to drive, with its 170 horsepower and the 6-speed Tiptronic transmission. The controls are easy to use, and the layout is logical. The seats are comfortable, and the interior is roomy. I like the overall look of the Rabbit, inside and out. I like the features, too. The stereo sounds great and is easy to use. Standard Electronic Stability Program is a nice touch. The engine is smooth and seems quieter than my 2006 Rabbit. Fuel economy could be better. iPod operation is buggy and not intuitive.

Rabbit Power
By OnceHareless on 12/09/08 09:43 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just went from an 07 Corolla to the 09 Rabbit. Couldn't be happier. Great performing and sounding engine, nice handling with perfect body roll, extremely solid feel on the highway, fun to drive, roomy, excellent safety features, decent (but not great) stereo, nice transmission, and generally good looks make it a winner. The Corolla is a good, but very pedestrian car. The Rabbit literally blows it away in the "fun to drive" category and comes with all the standard safety features that make the difference.

Fun little car
By Paul on 12/04/08 15:22 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love driving this car. I went from a pickup truck to the Rabbit. I didn't realize what a dog my truck was until driving the Rabbit every day. It's quick, shifts great, handles tight, fast lane changes are easy and smooth. I wanted a Mini Cooper S and the Rabbit gives me that sporty agile ride. I would not trade hp for better mileage. The engine is Great. Took a road trip on Thanksgiving and enjoyed the car. The cruise controls and audio controls were very intuitive and after a couple hundred miles I didn't miss them not being in the steering wheel. Its a very nice wheel so don't not buy the car just because the controls are not in it. You will forget about it quickly enough!

IML8 IML8 2009
By Pat on 11/23/08 16:10 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2001 Outback and was afraid the Rabbit would feel so much smaller-- it's not at all. The mpg is better than the Outback, even with 1 more cylinder. I was expecting entry level features and was surprised by the thought that was put into the design. I drive out to the mountains a lot and am pleasantly surprised at how my bunny scampers up a steep grade. I had a Rabbit diesel in the 80s and am so glad I thought to try a Rabbit again. I couldn't be more pleased.

Almost perfect
By Schwe1nhund on 11/18/08 06:10 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Excellent car that handles extremely well on the road. Negotiates curves like a charm. I got this after wrecking my 07 Mazda 3 (through no fault of my own). The Mazda was a good car, but this one blows it out of the water. The Rabbit offers a smoother ride, a tighter turn radius, and generally a better grip on the road. Also, the Mazda is more expensive if you add all the features that is standard in the Rabbit. Its worth mentioning that because of this car's higher safety rating, my insurance went down significantly. From the outside, the car looks simple, but in my opinion that simplicity gives it a more distinguished look. The laser welded body is a big plus.

Thunderbunny 09
By Paul on 11/10/08 10:18 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My White little Rabbit dominates the small car genre easily in Sport. Test driving other small American and Japanese cars felt like a waste of time after riding in VW's 09 Rabbit. The Focus is hard to focus on after you are behind the wheel of a fully powered Rabbit.

Solid, powerful, great styling
By DM on 10/13/08 17:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great little car, it feels very solid compared to other small cars in class. Independent suspension, great 6 speed transmission, 5 cylinder engine, add up to a lot of value for about 18K. Uncluttered instrument panel. Drivers seat great for taller drivers. Gets up and goes when it needs to.

Fun to Drive, not your Grandma's Corolla
By dean-l on 10/04/08 02:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wanted a small sedan. One test drive of Civic and Corolla and they were out. Those sheep need to look around a little. Mazda3 is a good car and better value, but this one just "felt" like it was built better. I picked the Rabbit over the Jetta because of the chrome on the front and the fake leather seats, I just couldn't do it. The real stuff is better, why bother? Also Rabbits are unusual around here. I've enjoyed the car so far. It really IS fun to drive. Plenty of power. NO exterior "loud & obnoxious" things about it. A real knock out in red. I can't believe this car is not more popular.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback in VA is:

$129 per month*