Used 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

This is no cotton tail
By Texas

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Have owned this car several years and it's reliability is excellent. Did test drive several others before making this purchase. Drive 60 mile round trip to work road control is amazing. Ave around 28 mpg. I agree you have to watch it or you will be speeding, I tell everybody this is no cotton tail this is a jack rabbit. I have had no trouble so far with performance of any- kind.

Interior, lots of room when seats are down, have even carried lumber,and a small tree. I love the wind out sound of a sports car, makes everybody look. I get good gas mileage.

windshield wiper does tend to drag water back to center on drivers side.

Average Reliability But Fun to Drive
By CT8799

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

While I love the quality of the materials used both inside and out, I never know what might happen with the car, reliability-wise. Within the first month of ownership, I had at least 2 trips to the dealership as a result of smelling a burning smell from the rear brakes after driving. Since then, have had both headlights go out (within 2 days of one another), followed by another one going out again. Also have had exhaust system issues (under warranty) and car has stalled while stopped at light, but this was an exhaust issue as well and the repair seems to have fixed the issue. Not sure I would buy another one.

Handling, interior space, rear seat leg room. Car feels huge inside (relative to actual size).

CD player is not as quick to skip tracks/function generally as Japanese models. Fix exhaust issues and better wiring for headlights.

Great Value!
By Hawk8485

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have owned more than 25 cars, mostly Audis, Infinitis or BMWs, but this is the best purchase I have ever made. Not perfect, but for less than $16K, I bought a car that is fun to drive, solid, well built, and comfortable. Only options were the auto and the ESP. This car replaced my wife's Infiniti FX35 (rode very rough) as a stopgap until she decided what she wanted, then we would give it to our daughter. 2.5 years later, my daughter is still waiting b/c my wife will not give it up.

Seating is excellent, especially for 6 footers like my wife and me. Very roomy inside. Transmission is seamless and smooth, and the suspension soaks up the worst potholes effortlessly. Engine is more than adequate, with plenty of torque for scooting through traffic. Interior fit and finish.

Stereo should be much better for this vehicle. also need stereo controls on steering wheel. Car is greatly improved with 16" wheels and good 205/55-16 tires. Standard 15" rims are too small.

Great for tons of driving
By LongHairGuy240

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I deliver pizzas for a living. This car allows me to do that with ease. It's very fast. I can get from 0-90 in no time, on the freeway of course. It turns very easily, brakes just fine. I drive about 2500 miles a month, so the oil changes get expensive, but it's more than worth it. I blew up two cars because of oil change issues, so I'm being very careful with this one. I'm sure I'll be keeping this car for a long, long time. I'll most likely buy another after this one is finally dead.

I love the red and blue console displays. They're much easier to see during the day and night.

I agree that it needs some type of armrest, maybe attached to the seats themselves. It'd be nice to have air vents in the rear of the car, but I don't sit back there.

Never a boring car to drive...
By marusik

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Although I don't drive as much as I used to, it's always fun to drive the Rabbit under any driving conditions, rain or shine, either city or highway for long trips or short ones, but especially on twisty roads. The ride is always quite and comfortable... After reading some of the negative reviews about reliability issues on this model, I've got a little bit concern, especially about the life of the brake pads, so I decided to check them out at 20000 miles and I was told that will probably last another 20K miles. Of course brake's life as well as gas mileage are subjective to every driver's attitude and driving styles...

Love it's responsive and flexible power and the 6 speed auto with the tiptronic shift and sport's mode features. It's nimble handling and secure braking. Overall design and dimensions combined with the practicality of the hatchback. Fit and finish is at the top of it's class.

Better gas mileage is always a plus but without sacrificing performance. Certainly the new Golf diesel is at the top of of my wish list but not so sure if the true fuel cost really justifies the price difference. At least not at today's fuel prices...