Bought for MPG - Love for the Great Quality
By countrydrive on
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
This is our first diesel car - and we love it! We were pleasantly surprised at the acceleration - at least as good as all of our previous cars. On our first tank we averaged 44.8 mpg about (80/20 highway/city) The ride is firm. The car absolutely hugs the road on turns. No rattles The SEL Premium has electronic seat adjustments and lumbar support on the driver's and passenger side - which is really nice. One caution - new in 2013 is the refueling guard. There is a flap over the gas tank which can only be opened with the correct size diesel car nozzle. Check inside the nozzle for a small bar. Of course the first time we tried to refill we were at a station with "truck" size nozzles.
Favorite Features
The interior is very well designed and easy to use. Many features (door unlock, at home lights, mirrors) are customizable. The car settings are based on which fob starts the car. This is great for us because both my husband and I alternate using the car. Bluetooth will support up to 3 different phones. Setup was straight forward. The fender audio system is great - our Ipod attached with no problems.
Suggested Improvements
The seats could be just a bit softer The ceiling height with the sun roof seems a bit low, but it has not been a problem for us - my husband found a seat adjustment that works just fine Backup camera a little slow when car is first started (about 6 secs). I turn on the car, then buckel up - which gives the camera time to activate. Plenty of leg room in the backseat for two - lowering the floor bump would make it an ideal car for 5. Would love to have an AWD option and a Wagon option
By countrydrive
on 03/09/13 13:39 PM (PST)

an update to my post - VW sells a refueling adapter kit which is a plastic nozzle that will release the refueling guard to allow truck nozzles or additives to be put into the tank. I costs around $12 plus shipping I bought mine through amazon, but most VW dealers should carry them- I got it for piece of mind and to have in case of emergencies. Some reviews comment they leak - others caution to use two hands - one to steady the nozzle when in the tank. I did verify that it does release the refueling guard.