2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
A Keeper!
By Too Tall on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This wagon is an ideal vehicle for almost anyone. It'll carry four in total comfort, five in a pinch, and haul stuff in the rear that sedans can't match. And, with AWD, it does it in all but the worst blizzards. Performance-wise, it keeps up with all but the hottest performers on the road. The car is two years old, and I'm still getting complements on how nice it is and admiring looks from other motorists.

Nothing but problems!
By boettcherca on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My car is currently 2 years old with around 40,000 miles on it. It started off great. Then after 1 month I had it in the shop because I ran out o gas when it said I still had 1/2 tank! It took over a week to fix. Then I had to take it in again 3 other times for a leaking gas tank. 2 months ater that the car started stalling out when I slowed at intersections, unable to restart. Took it in and they had it for 4 days and claimed to have fixed it. 1 week later same thing.... Long story short, the problem is stillnot resolved and not once have they given me a loner car! Do not buy this car.

2002 Passat Wagon, 1.8T
By Sedrick Mitchell on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this care new and it has American Specs. We live in Europe and this car is really great on the European roads. It gets great gas mileage and is fun to drive.

Great Car, Persistent Annoyances
By kcuth on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in March 2002, I've driven the Passat through very severe snow storms in the Sierra, as I frequently commute between Reno and San Francisco. The all-wheel drive system holds the road like a cat; the 6-cylinder engine accelerates smoothly with plenty of power over the steepest grades. Handling is very good:firm and predictable, with no sudden surprises in the curves. Far superior to any SUV on the market. Seating is comfortable and visibility, all-round, is good. I like the car very much but will not replace it with another Passat at end of lease period, in one year. Recommended with reservations (see below.)

Great Car!!
By bjbird2 on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car is everything I expected it to be and more. I love it> It's had some reliability problems, but the dealer has been very good about repairs, offering loaner cars, etc.

Best Wagon
By slo on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I looked at many small wagons (needed the space for outdoor gear, kids stuff, and trips to the home center) but couldn't find another that compared in ride, performance, and looks. I would rather have a peppy 5-speed than a truck-like SUV and the Passat V-6 fits the bill.

great car!
By playo on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this car was great when i bought it but i thought the ride was a little soft. i also got used to the power rather quickly. so, i got a turbo chip and now it has 210 hp, 247 ft-lbs of torque, and it's much more fun to drive now. i probably need a larger exhaust to handle the extra pressure from the turbo. i also put on lowering springs, stiffer shocks, a rear anti-sway bar, and 18" Volk wheels. now it's super fun! no problems with the car that haven't been fixed quickly under warranty, and those were very few. great car, especially for the money!

Good NON-SUV performer
By MtnDog on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Despite two recalls (ignition coils and fuel tank protection shield) this vehicle has performed very well. Comfortable, fun to drive, solid, spacious, yet nimble quick and quiet inside.

Do NOT buy a VW
By egrace on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VW of USA customer service is the worst. Dealerships (both I've been to) are the worst. Reliability is not great. A lemon. Can't wait to sell.

excellant car
By flyboy 911 on 11/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

this car has been our best new car to date .