Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great car!
By djbaumga

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I was looking to purchase this car, all my research told me this car has engine problems. I got this with a brand new engine and have run nothing but Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. As a result, this thing has been incredible! Only routine maintenance has come up. Great fun to drive and very stylish as well.

Favorite Features

Great interior build quality. Fun to drive, excellent handling, great response, Instrument panel is really cool.

Suggested Improvements

for 2002, it was ahead of its time and it still rivals some cars today!

somone who likes their passat
By vdub4life

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my passat in 05. i have always like volkswagens but if your are going to buy one you must get the previous service records. this car hs been great very fun to drive and great in the snow. traction control, abs and, 6 air bags. very safe. synthetic oil is expensive but cleaner and better and premium gas burns cleaner and is better for the car. i have had no problems or dislikes. if you take car of it it takes car of you. o yea if you use nicer bulbs, they last longer don't buy the cheapest its not always the beat deal

Favorite Features

5 speed is fast and fun. indigo dash lights. great miles per gallon. brakes are also good. very quiet

Suggested Improvements

the car could be lighter. heated rear seats

Money Drain: $5000.00 in 6 yrs.
By ileangoodnite

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car. I believed the seller: "it might last 12-15 years". Excessively expensive routine- maintenance, + $ thousands for major system failures. In 6 years, they sucked $5,000.00 for: Sensors x 5; Ignition coils; radio; left axle; right axle x 2; gas hood strut; water pump; left rear door lock x 3; motor mounts (1 month before engine failed & replaced under recall); intercooler; heat shields;(recalls) rib belt; timing belt; homelink dropped off...fix cost= $500; tires replaced x2; 'transmission range switch' cleaned ($101.00. Following week: same switch replaced: $1,000.) Upholstery frayed; paint peeling; Disappointing. Stressful. Friends and I will not buy another VW product.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, heated seats, great leg room, trunk & seats hold lots of cargo, safe. Good appearance, gas cap attached by cord. AC/heat& ventilation-good. powerful, good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Decide whether parts are expensive because they are German-made, or defective because they are American- made. Improve the reliability. Stand behind your workmanship. offer fewer stodgy colors/more jazzy colors.

This car hauls ACE!
By B-bop

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Thank heavens for my warranty. These cars are fun but fickle. At about 45,000 miles, the car had a very long case of the "flu." It was certified used, so I milked that warranty for over $4,000 in repairs. The maintenance can be an expensive hassle, though.

Favorite Features

For a 2002, it has a truly timeless look. The Tiptronic transmission allows for very quick maneuvering.

Suggested Improvements

Secure the bloody splash guard better!

Best car I ever bought
By chris

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 22,000 and five years old. Hands down the best purchase I have ever made. This car truly enjoys driving 80mph. This is my wife daily driver and used when we go on vacations and is just alot of fun to drive. We have had no problems at all and regret paying for the extended warranty since we never got to use it. This was our first VW and we're looking into buying another and getting ride of my Dodge.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling. Ride comfort and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The price, used is the way to go because new they are pricey