2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
50%-50%
By Eugene on 09/14/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have this passat for more than 3 years so far replaced windshield wipers motor, front cv joints with axle, just got whole cd/radio player broken, some emission sensors and have been driving with "check engine" light on for 2 years (due some stupid emission sensors!) and battery replaced! so you should really consider this-this car is bad on electronics! otherwise just keep up with maintenance and you'll be good!

Excellent car if you do you're own maintenance
By burchfield on 07/19/08 23:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this automatic transmission car with 100k miles on it. When I bought it I got 26.6 mpg (all city/no ac). I put quality synthetic oil in it, k&n air filter, replaced o2 sensor, used premium gas and now it gets 31-33 mpg (all city/no ac). On the interstate I drive 55- 60 mph and get 40+mpg. It's also a much more comfortable ride than my old 02 pt cruiser. Extremely roomy inside and you can barely feel the massive potholes/rough pavement in my town. I'm 6,2" and when I put the seat all the way back it's a slightly uncomfortable reach to the pedals. Wow! I've always felt cramped in cars before. But not in this VW. I love this car. Highly recommended for tall dudes like me.

Never Again
By Tiffany on 07/12/08 14:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My husband got fooled into buying this vehicle. We have had nothing but ongoing problems. We had a warranty, and unfortunately nothing was covered. The interior was falling apart, water pump went out, air conditioning broke, so on, and so on. The problem with these vehicles is that you CANNOT fix anything. You have to take it to a Volkswagen dealer. They have so many electrical problems that it isn't worth it. We traded it in, (for a Toyota) and didn't get anything out of it, but at least we have a reliable vehicle. Never again will we make the mistake of purchasing a Volkswagen.

Great Car
By TSF on 07/01/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Maybe I've been lucky, but I have put almost 90k on the vehicle since purchasing used in '05 (now 119k miles), and haven't had a single problem. Fun to drive, great mpg w/ the 1.8t and 5-spd. (avg. 33 mpg on the freeway), looks good, unbeatable interior design and looks with the leather seats. Matches or exceeds the '01 Acura TL it replaced in every respect except horsepower, and it has been far more reliable to boot (2 trannys, new dash, other issues w/ '01 Acura).

Decent
By K on 06/08/08 15:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car after having a Jetta. Loved the Jetta; do NOT love the Passat. Gas mileage 23 combined at best. Recurrent problems that were "fixed" (front headlight shakes, lock/unlock button won't work, one of the locks stuck, window stuck open, screeching noise from dash when cold out and using fan, burning brakes smell) and the seat heater was burning me through the seat. (they repaired that for free though). Will not buy again!

Great Car - If you can afford it
By Vee-Dub on 05/19/08 12:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I'll just add my voice to the many other reviews saying the same thing. It's a wonderful vehicle--it's just prohibitively expensive to maintain. My story: between October 2007 and May 2008, I've repaired/replaced the alternator, A/C hoses & drier, CV boot, brakes, timing belt and water pump, major tune-up, and several other items. In total: about $5300. The primary reason for this cost is labor, in fact, about 55-60% of every repair is labor. I believe this exorbitant cost stems primarily from the fact that they have to practically dismantle the front of the car to access anything. In short, this car is for you if you don't mind pouring truckloads of money into it to keep it running.

Never, ever buy another VW
By Never Again on 05/12/08 18:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Rarely driven, garage kept spouse’s car, only 33k in the past 7 years. Constant issues with recalls and poor service. Interior falling apart and in some spots the plastic flakes as though a form of automatic impetigo. Vehicle will not remain in alignment for more than 6 months. Common to other VW owners; hose failures, ECM malfunctions, cooling system issues, constant mold in the ventilation system ( although the most recent recall is suppose to fix this issue after 7 years of complaining). Service with authorized VW dealers is horrible, have tried two in the area, seems they are more interested in going for the value add transmission flush than working though a problem.

Plastic Explosives
By MJ Lynch on 05/12/08 17:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car runs well, but it falls apart. The plastic parts break(radio knobs, garage door opener, antenna, engine design components, seat knobs), and the rubberized paint used in the interior peels (door handles, center console, the unused ash tray covers). The seat leather is shoddy. All this makes the car appear very old -- and I drive it very little -- about 5,000 miles a year. Great highway mpg with the 4 cyl (35 mpg); not great in commuting traffic; ok (22-24 mpg) otherwise.

2002 GLX V6
By JOHN on 05/03/08 02:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle with 22k miles I have put 30k more on in the past 8 months. 52k miles I have replaced tires, brakes, axles (twice on one side) heater core, vacuum lines, air pump. Nice vehicle when it's not in the shop.

Buyer Beware
By SpencerBell on 04/13/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First comment, we will never buy another Volkswagen. At 36,000 miles the engine had to be flushed due to sludge, even with regular oil changes. Dealership flushed engine, said all okay. From 42,000 miles to 73,000 miles, had 3 more engine oil sludge problems. Finally, at 73,000 miles, VW replaced the engine. With less than 2,000 miles on new engine, bolt that holds tensioner "broke", resulting in piston damage to new engine. Pending bill is $3,2000, since item is not covered by warranty. Engine replacement work took 2 months with no rental car provided (not covered by warranty). Between VW and dealership service, or lack thereof, will never buy another VW (this is 3rd VW vehicle).