Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Will Never Buy Another VW
By Kathy

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car because it was a Consumer Reports best buy. We've had had so many repairs I can't remember them all (oxygen sensors, coils replaced, air flow meter, and more) and the check engine light stays on constantly. Right now the anti-lock braking system sensor is bad, but it will cost nearly $1,000 to replace, so I drive around with the dash lighting up and blinking like a Christmas tree. We spent over $3,000 in a space of 2 months last year. When parts fail they are *very* expensive to replace - even using a local garage instead of the dealership. Interior: the coating is peeling off the interior plastic surfaces, the armrest latch broke, and the cup holders are flimsy.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, good power for entering freeway, handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Just make a reliable car that won't cost so much in repairs!

Falling apart
By Jacek

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new as a second car. In seven and a half years put on 42,000 miles. First thing went the batteries, little over two years old just after the warranty. Then the interior 'moving accessories', ashtray lid, broke twice, I don't smoke use it to keep change. Then the cup holder -terrible design every time I use it it feels that it will break. The wood trim and the shifter was next, new shifter over $180! Antenna and the rubber trim on it and around the base; need to remove the roof panel and the skylight to replace a $.50 gasket cost over 400 bucks! All the rubber trim is falling apart. Then the console mounting brackets broke, had that replaced for $370 Now a $3.5K bill for front end!

Favorite Features

Getting rid of the piece of crap. Have an old Grand Cherokee that has outperformed the VW by a grand margin, go figure.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality of product, parts, engineering, fit and trim.

Don't go near this car!
By stayaway

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Stay away from this car, unless you’re OK spending thousands of $ on repairs. Unreliable, constant repairs. VW Service Center unable to appropriately diagnose. $1OO each visit for them to even diagnose - never fixed. From check engine warning light to cracked hoses, leaks throughout the history of the car. A Lemon. Worst all around car experience from purchase.

Favorite Features

Great sound system and styling.

Suggested Improvements

VW Corp should work more closely with VW dealerships/mechanics to review repetitive, chronic problems. VW Corp should provide assistance to consumers with these repetitive issues.

Poor Engine - Terrible warrantee
By hp007

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for 6 years and did the oil change as required. I gave this car to my daughter for college in Maryland last month. She called one night and said that a light was on saying not to drive the car. At 11 PMt, I guess I was supposed to tell her to start walking along the side of the road. (I was thinking rape,or abduction.)I told her to to drive to the nearest gas station and get oil to see if the problem went away. It did not. We had the car towed to the VW dealership in Dover,Delaware. There was a warranty extension on the engine due to many oil sludge problems ruining the engine. Since she drove to the nearest gas station to be safe, they voided the warranty!!!

Favorite Features

Nice car to drive. I took care of it with recommended oil changes. Sporty car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine sludge problem by making better engines. Mo more VW's for me!!! A little quality goes a long way!!!

As Mr. T says "Passats are fo suckas!"
By FornerPassatSucker

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was the German engineering dream I wanted. It started off great but went downhill quickly. If you own any turbo passat, search "Engine Sludge", then walk, no run away from the car. Worse yet, when I could produce the oil change receipts from the life of the car (i bought it used) they would honor their "internal warranty" to replace the engine unless I got $2500 worth of different repairs. I was strong armed by the dealer. Stay away from this car and VW in general. I just got a Merc. Milan. read its reviews and got get one. They are way, WAY better than this hunk of junk. "I pity da fool in a VW Passat."

Favorite Features

Instrument Panel.

Suggested Improvements

Owning up to a known problem, standing with your customers, ethical dealers.