2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Best Value Going
By Matthew on 03/02/06 14:47 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is one of the best values, hands down. It is the quality and feel of a BMW for the price of a Nissan. The interior is high quality and the car feels heavy and solid. Has pleanty of power on the road, and the indigo instrument panel makes the car feel like the cockpit of a small plane. Highly recommended.

Fun to Drive, Very Luxurious
By Yak on 02/08/06 16:48 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Volkswagen Passat is a great car. It is fun, reliable, comfortable, and really feels like a luxury car. I get many compliments when I give people rides, or pick clients up from the airport with it.

Be Careful of Ball Joints
By Greg on 01/28/06 00:58 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Except for annoying problems with lights or dashboard lights, my 2001 Volkswagen Passat was largely OK until around 55,000 miles. At the 55,000 mile mark, the ball joints and tie rods rendered the car unsafe to drive without significant, costly repairs. I've heard this problem isn't uncommon among Passat owners. I would never buy a VW again.

Passat 4Motion
By s0m1sstar on 01/16/06 11:24 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my 2001 Volkswagen Passat 4Motion when I first got it, however, there are times now when I would happily sell it if the chance presented itself. I've tried to have the front alignment done 2 times in 3 months and it still pulls to the right. The dealership can't seem to figure out what the problems is. The gas milage could be better. This car is defniitely not what I would call efficent. Not to mention that my gas milage has drastically decreased over the last 8 months...with no explanation from the dealership on this problem either. The overall quality of the interior leather is good, however, the driver seat is showing noticable signs of wear on the left side where one enters and exits the vehicle.

A Sleeper that Does Everything Well
By Solar1 on 12/26/05 04:26 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have put 15,000 miles on my 2001 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T with no major problems and I REALLY, REALLY enjoy driving it. My car has an Autotech rear sway bar and a GIAC chip (www.giacusa.com) which makes it quite fun to drive. it's sure footed, roomy, quiet, has a STRONG midrange and has responsive, well-weighted steering. The interior trim quality needs improving and yes, the headlights burn out quickly but these are not critical flaws. I just drove from Boston to LA and it was AWESOME. This is a great touring car and it really surprised me in the twists! It's no Honda Accord but I think that's a good thing - for a little more attention to maintenance, you can have a car with a lot more character. It is a nice sleeper.

Disappointed
By shark on 11/23/05 23:31 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This otherwise enjoyable and luxurious family sedan is proving unreliable in the long-term. My repairs in the past nice months include: new vacuum hoses; rear brake rotors; power steering rack; and inner/outer tie rods. To add insult to injury, VW dealers charge outrageous rates for routine service: $575 for 40,000 mile service; $60 for oil change; $140 for a brake fluid flush! Sadly, with the mounting repair and service costs, it's time to ditch this pariah for something much more reliable.

12 Times in Shop in 1 year
By Newk on 09/19/05 14:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a shame that this car has rubbed me the wrong way because I really like the Passats, espeically the new 2006 model. I have had the engine cleaned 3 times because of oil sludge, I have changed it with sythetic oil religiously. The majority of the time, VW has waived any cost, but it is a hasele to take it in every week. Simply changing the battery or air filter requires a trip to the shop. I had both the daytime wiring harnesses replaced and the daytime light replaced twice in one year. I also had work done on the CV joint, brakes, and the check engine light came on twice. I love the car, but it would take some convincing to buy another.

Beware of Passats - not reliable
By mh on 08/21/05 15:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

When I first got my car, I loved it. It is a C6 4Motion. It is tons of fun to drive. However, within a year, the shop tried to fix the gas gauge pump three times. This issue was finally resolved; however, now have fluid level evaporation for the oil, power stearing and coolant. There are no lights that indicate that the levels are below the minimum level. If i lose all my coolant, I am in trouble. My car is only 4 years old with 36,000 miles. It shouldn't have these problems. In addition there is a noise under the car they can't resolve. Now my window has it a mind of its own. Never buy VW. Go with something more reliable like a Honda.

Sludge-----beware!!!!
By Cynthia in Virginia on 06/14/05 09:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought a VW passat at 50000 miles as a cert. vehicle. 2 days later in the shop for engine light. Week after that same problem. Finally fixed, but now after only owning the veh. for 1 yr. the engine blew on vacation. Both Carmax extended warranty & VW are refusing to pay for this as they say we did not maintain vehicle....We have proof of oil changes and maint! Obviously there was sludge in the engine when we bought the vehicle. VW quoted $10K to repair as they sent us a parts list that included everything even near the engine, including TIE ROD ENDS...I love my Passat, prior to this it was very comfortable and fun to drive, but who wants to be stranded on the road 500 mi. from home?

Oil Pump problems!!
By NikkiB on 05/28/05 22:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS model in July of 2002. In the three years that I have owned it, I had to replace the coils around 45,000 miles, and the oil pump at 60,000 miles. I just took my passat in for the oil pressure light coming on AGAIN, and found out that it will be $2000 to fix due to oil sludge. This is a VERY common problem occuring in the 2001 Passats. Please ask about this problem before you consider buying one...it is a very expensive problem to fix, and will continue to occur regardless of any repairs. I am trading my car in ASAP. It's a beautiful car, but it's not worth all of the problems!!! Very unreliable.