Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Not worth it.
By John

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my used Passat for less than a year. I bought it with 70k miles, and it currently has 85k. In that time I spent $4000 maintaining this car. Engine leaks from everywhere, bad coils, and some preventative maintenance changing the timing belt and water pump. There are still issues with it I simply can't afford to fix. I really wanted to love this car. I really wanted a reliable car. This wasn't the right choice.

Favorite Features

Drives well when there's nothing wrong with it.

Suggested Improvements

The interior was really poorly designed, and cheaply made. There seems to be no end to what can go wrong with the engine, and even minor issues are extremely expensive to fix.

Never again
By Tang

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car was brought brand new, driven with great care, never been in accident, oil changed every 4000-5000 miles. But it died twice and had to be towed in 3 years, same problem - the secondary air pump filled with water! The drive train was covered 100K / 10 years, but that pump was part of the "emission system" so I had to pay $750 each time to have that fixed. The second time it happened I traded it in for a new Toyota 2 days later and never will walk into a VW dealer again.

Favorite Features

Great interior / exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

1st to 2nd gear (manual) is rough. Poor quality, poor workmanship. Irresponsible dealers refuse to honor a chronic design problem.

Avoid VW 4cyl. Turbo Engine
By Michael

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Engine poor. Once motor reached 100 miles, motor needed constant repair. Have spent over $3k on major engine repair. The wagon was intended for family with two children, but has proven to be very unreliable. Wife, toddler and infant have been towed several times from side of freeway. Mechanically, the engine is poor and unreliable, asked master mechanic "Would you drive this car?", he answered, "Me? No. The motor is no good, we see 'em all the time".

Sludge
By ugh

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car until the sludge set in. The dealer indicates that there is sludge ruining the engine of this car (and thousands of others like it). It is outrageous that VW will not remedy this problem. It is clearly a design flaw that is costing VW customers thousands of dollars. Also, I have had to replace the O2 sensor several times.

Favorite Features

I love the interior of the car. The lighting, seat belts (for car seats), and seats.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine problems.

Best all round car I've ever owned
By allen

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2001 Passat GLS 1.8T wagon, 5 speed. A few mods, VW sport springs, wider wheels and tires, rear sway bar. To my surprise this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Almost 70,000 miles, driven pretty hard by several people. No major problems yet and only a handful of minor ones. All fixed at home. Changed the oil religiously with Mobil 1 synthetic, upgraded brake rotors and pads. Great car. Just got lucky I guess.

Favorite Features

We call this our Goldilocks car. Not too big, not too small, gets pretty good mileage, corners pretty hard, holds pretty much stuff. The ultimate "does everything pretty well" car. Even looks cool in black. Wagons look way better then sedans.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with a sport suspension. Easy enough to retrofit. VW sport springs and Bilstein HD shocks plus a rear swaybar.