2001 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Not worth it.
By John on 08/12/09 16:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my used Passat for less than a year. I bought it with 70k miles, and it currently has 85k. In that time I spent $4000 maintaining this car. Engine leaks from everywhere, bad coils, and some preventative maintenance changing the timing belt and water pump. There are still issues with it I simply can't afford to fix. I really wanted to love this car. I really wanted a reliable car. This wasn't the right choice.

Never again
By Tang on 06/20/09 21:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car was brought brand new, driven with great care, never been in accident, oil changed every 4000-5000 miles. But it died twice and had to be towed in 3 years, same problem - the secondary air pump filled with water! The drive train was covered 100K / 10 years, but that pump was part of the "emission system" so I had to pay $750 each time to have that fixed. The second time it happened I traded it in for a new Toyota 2 days later and never will walk into a VW dealer again.

Avoid VW 4cyl. Turbo Engine
By Michael on 10/03/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Engine poor. Once motor reached 100 miles, motor needed constant repair. Have spent over $3k on major engine repair. The wagon was intended for family with two children, but has proven to be very unreliable. Wife, toddler and infant have been towed several times from side of freeway. Mechanically, the engine is poor and unreliable, asked master mechanic "Would you drive this car?", he answered, "Me? No. The motor is no good, we see 'em all the time".

Sludge
By ugh on 12/08/07 19:01 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car until the sludge set in. The dealer indicates that there is sludge ruining the engine of this car (and thousands of others like it). It is outrageous that VW will not remedy this problem. It is clearly a design flaw that is costing VW customers thousands of dollars. Also, I have had to replace the O2 sensor several times.

Best all round car I've ever owned
By allen on 08/06/07 15:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2001 Passat GLS 1.8T wagon, 5 speed. A few mods, VW sport springs, wider wheels and tires, rear sway bar. To my surprise this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Almost 70,000 miles, driven pretty hard by several people. No major problems yet and only a handful of minor ones. All fixed at home. Changed the oil religiously with Mobil 1 synthetic, upgraded brake rotors and pads. Great car. Just got lucky I guess.

67,000 Miles and Needs a NEW ENGINE?! Save Your Money
By never again VW on 11/16/06 12:07 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our Passat new, have always taken care of it, and up until recently we enjoyed it. Taking it into the shop this last time we JUST now found that out there is an OIL SLUDGE issue (which they have KNOWN about but didn't tell consumers!!) - to the tune of $1,500 to "maybe" fix the problem?!! If that doesn't work than they're saying it needs a new ENGINE for $8,500! The car is STILL under warranty, but VW won't cover the repairs because we don't have all our receipts for oil changes! Talk about undermining on the edge of criminal. I will NEVER again buy a Volkswagen again! I guess folks are right : buy a Honda or Toyota and you won't get screwed!

2001 Passat Still Drives Great.
By Hope Garrett on 11/08/06 09:46 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We've owned this car for more than six years now. It has been so reliable and very inexpensive to maintain. It's a great car and always fit everything I tried to cram into it. The only problem is that it's hard to fit three booster seats in the back and impossible to fit three car seats.

Practical but Troublesome
By ShrinerMonkey on 06/03/06 10:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Passat's excellent driving dynamics and a premium cabin cannot make up for its horrible reliability and incredibly poor dealer service. Even with regular maintenance which is extremely expensive because of synthetic and proprietary fluid requirements and expensive parts, this car has still had numerous part failures in only 60,000 pampered miles of driving. I love European cars but they are too expensive to own.

Better than an SUV
By ShrinerMonkey on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great looking and equiped car for the money, basically an Audi but for thousands less. However, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, squeeks and rattles abound and are very hard to fix. The turbo lag of the 1.8T is annoying and the engine is noisy. The MAF sensor went out at 32,000 miles ($500 to replace). The rear seats are a major hassle to fold down and the glove box and cup holders are a joke. The headlights are also dangerously underpowered on their low beam setting. Overall a good car, but disappointing build quality and reliabilty.

Read the Fine Print!
By Guil_4D on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Pay close attention to VW's warranty and document all of your service visits (maitain complete records of all scheduled and non- scheduled maintenance). My failure to do so taught me an expensive lesson. At 39,000 miles my wagon's cam shaft siezed. VW voided the powertrain warranty because I was unable to provide documentation of 30K and 35K service. Factory rebuilt engines cost $6,100 installed. OUCH!