Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Goodbuy and Good Riddance
By Daffodil

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is a darling car if you never have to actually go anywhere. Oh how I wish I had read these reviews before buying. It is cute; it gets good mileage. Mine had a sunroof, good stereo, heated leather seats, and a nice little growl in the engine. It was a commuting dream car but what is the point of all that cuteness and fun if it is in the shop all the time? I still sigh when I see them on the road, but I pat the dash of my trusty Toyota and keep going.

Favorite Features

Stereo with aux port, sun roof, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system is terrible. This is a chick car and I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road ever again.

good gas mileage Fun, Cute Bug ; )
By Tiff7575

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought a pre owned VW beetle PZEV Auto, I love the car so far I have only had it two weeks bought it at 37,510 miles one owner lease Great gas mileage about 32/35 on the FWY. So great with gas prices at $4.20 Very clean car beige on beige Leather with all of the upgrades. Cute, fun to drive with get up and go I bought the Beetle over the Jetta just because I thought it was a cuter car more my style And not as common as the Jetta is in CA. Overall great car and I will recommend it to anyone. Also next time I buy from VW I hope to get the Eros or VW beetle convertible.

Favorite Features

The sun roof, monsoon stereo

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders and arm rest

Never Again
By txjules77

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I'm just waiting for my lease to end. This is my 2nd VW (I leased a Jetta previously, similar problems). I refuse to take it to the dealership for oil changes bc it would cost me $80+/oil change! This car has lived in the shop. I've had constant electrical problems, including the traction light staying on (and waiting a full day for the new part to come in), the seatbelt light coming at random (they said they "couldn't duplicate the problem" so they couldn't fix it), back latch doesn't work. I'm fed up with VW in general. And customer service sucks. With all the repairs, they don't offer a free rental car. The only way I got on with the last repair is the guy who drives you home was not in.

Favorite Features

The car is very cute and has lots of personality. It drives well and is comfortable, when it's not in the shop. And the 8 speaker sound system is really nice.

Suggested Improvements

Needs an indicator light for low windshield washer fluid. Need a free rental car for the customer stuck with no transportation-- I shouldn't have to pay for a rental car at signing. Other dealerships give free rental cars! Need a back latch that WORKS.

Do not buy a Beetle!
By emily

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in Oct.2007 and within a week of buying it, it was in the shop. I have to go to the shop at least once a month, they know me by name now. First I had to replace my radio then my headlights kept burning out and it's just easier for them to change them. Then my backseat came all the way off when I tried to fold it down. My engine light has come on twice now. I'm taking it back in Monday because something is wrong with my transmission, I can't use the triptronic feature and all my gear lights stay on. It died on me for about 1 minute while doing 80 mph on the highway. I definitely won't keep this car past the warranty, probably wont make it another year anyway!

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, long dash, looks cute, fun to drive when it actually works!

Suggested Improvements

Quality issues! Cup holders still suck, windows still have problems, blind spots are pretty bad, gas mileage not so great

Fun to drive, keep your walking shoes
By George H.

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great visibility and fast, fun ride. Be prepared with your cell phone--mine has quit running twice, needed tow, took about a week to repair each time. Trunk won't unlock 80% of the time with either the remote or inside release and one of the remote key fobs just quit working. This review is from the owner of a 2005 Mercedes SLK (so I know fun to drive) and a 2006 Honda Ridgeline (so I know high quality). Before it's out of warranty I'm going to get something else--another Beetle if the JD Powers and Consumer's Reports ratings improve. This beetle replaced a 2001 model I bought used; that one never broke. In fairness, this is a very early build of the new model.

Favorite Features

Style, performance (this thing is fast and has a slick automatic transmission). The hatchback makes it really handy. You've got to drive one of these to appreciate the great visibility--it's almost like the top is down although it's a coupe!

Suggested Improvements

VW has got to do something about reliability. I've bought at least 24 new cars and this is the only one that has ever stranded me and twice at that! The trunk won't properly close and has been repaired twice and the electronic locking system is flakey at best. The sun roof is too small.