2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Buy a Different VW
By VeeDub_Gal on 02/14/07 02:26 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought the New Beetle to get away from sedans for a while as I had a '01 Taurus (big mistake) and an '03 Camry previously. The Beetle was all a sedan wasn't (unfortunately that also included being practical, easy to drive, and roomy). I kept my Beetle for six months and have since seen the error of my ways and bought an '06 Passat (which I highly recommend).

My Dream Car
By Wendy on 12/28/06 20:51 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have wanted a Beetle for as long as I can remember. I have little die-cast Beetles all over my living room. I absolutely love my Beetle. It is very comfortable and good on gas.

Better than the Last...
By Justin on 08/26/06 18:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I used to own a 2001 Beertle. This one, a 2006 model, is much nicer all the way around. Plus it doesn't have the disappearing oil, where I would find myself a half a quart low after a couple of months.

Love the Bug!
By vp_lynn on 08/02/06 09:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love the new VW Bug! With more smile in the front and back it'll make you smile just looking at it. The gas milage is better than the Focus I that I traded in and the handling is very smooth. The only thing I've noticed is that due to the short distance between the front and back wheel you really feel the big bumps. But test drive one and fall in love!

Love my Beetle!
By Laurie on 06/17/06 21:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I went from a 2003 Grand Am GT to the new Beetle and I am extremely happy with my decision. This car is extremely fun to drive, it has quite a zip to it! It is nice and roomy inside, everyone who has taken a ride with me can't believe they are in a Beetle because of how roomy it is. I have over 200 miles on it and still have a half a tank of gas! The controls in the car are very easy to use and i love the built in MP3 jack. The cup holder location is a little awkward, but nothing that would have changed my decision about the car. If you are looking for a quick, fun to drive car, look no further!

What a lemon
By Valerie on 05/19/06 06:50 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

As cute as this car is, I can't explain how horrible the last 11 months have been with it. With my two previous cars we had zero problems, I suppose I made up for all that time with my Beetle. Thankfully, there have been no major mechanical problems. However, random reflectors have just fallen off, and if I'm lucky, both turn signals work. The seats could be more comfortable, and it's difficult to adjust the angle with the round "knobs." I don't drive much at all and I fill up two times a week. My car gets terrible gas mileage. I'll be selling the car before it's a year old.

Luv My Bug
By Jennifer B on 03/24/06 09:08 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is the car I have always wanted! It's fun to drive and the new Gecko Green for 2006 is so pretty! I got the manual transmission with package one and satellite radio.

Fun the Second Time Around
By steven kadsand on 03/21/06 22:18 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is the second Beetle that my wife and I have owned and we enjoy the fun and preformance that it offers. The 2.5L engine has as much punch as the 1.8 turbo that we had the first time around did without the turbo lag.

A great addition to my family!
By Christopheroh9 on 03/04/06 21:24 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I took delivery of my new Ghecko green VW New Beetle 2.5 automatic in February. I love this car! Ergonomically speaking, it fits most of my needs in being a well constructed, German engineered hatchback. So far, after driving 600 miles, no rattles or squeeks have surfaced. The 5 cylinder gasoline motor provides a great amount of performance- you may find yourself exceeding your local speed limits. Having grown up with other earlier VW models, the 2006 is the tightest in respect to fit and finish. I consider my New Beetle "my poor man's Porsche". Forget everything that you recall about the Bug...this car will make you look more than twice at it's value. I can't wait for VW in 2010.

My happy car!
By Mary5685 on 03/04/06 12:59 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Beetle still has an awkward cup holder system, it is but not a big deal unless there is two of us in car. Good handling with the Pm2 system. I just love this color red and feel happy to drive it every day. However I have to sort out the owner's manual as it state it is for a convertible and I have a hardtop-did not get satisfactory answer from my salesperson-will check at its first servicing. I got a great deal with XM radio and rubber floor mats for $21,500. I had a 2005 TDI which ended up being a lemon, but had enough faith in VW that this was just a one off thing-glad to have the gas bigger engine now that I have switched. No regrets.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.