2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
My Beetle
By Spongebob on 01/09/07 18:51 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the third Beetle I have owned since 1998. The improvements are obvious from the styling to the dropped outside mirrors for better visibility. This car isn't for everyone. It's for fun loving people who like a car that looks like no other, handles great, and performs flawlessly. it fits me to a T and I wouldn't even consider another car on the road today. It is unique.

2006 TDI Tiptronic
By Brett F on 08/27/06 16:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We scrambled to find a TDI Beetle with package 1 options including sunroof, heated seats, and leatherette interior. My wife drives it about 420 miles a week and is averaging 36-38 mpg in mostly city use. The car got about 42 mpg hwy the one time we had it on the road at 65 mph with A/C on. The 6-speed auto transmission can be shifted manually or fully auto. It shifts smoothly and quietly and the 1.9L turbodiesel spools very efficiently. The ride is a bit stiff, but it is smooth. The seats are a bit of a pain to adjust but the controls work well. Don't expect the luggage room of an SUV, but it is good for groceries and weekenders. We liked it so much we went out and bought a 2004 manual TDI too!

A Responsible Mode of Transport
By W Benson on 08/22/06 05:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a "poor man's Porsche." It is really fun to drive. It accelerates uphill like a scared rabbit (pardon the unintended reference to another VW model). Plus it is VERY economical on fuel.

Once and Done
By never again VW on 08/07/06 12:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Of all the cars I have ever known this by far was absolutely the biggest nightmare. If I added all my repair receipts I could have bought this car twice. There has been nothing mechanical or otherwise about this car that has not been repaired or replaced. I have had this car in the shop at least six times this year. I wish there was something good to say about this car since I have wanted to own one all of my life, but I guess the good Lord was trying to tell me something. Now all I want to do is get rid of it as soon as possible. That won't happen though until I get it fixed.

Great Car
By L. Bruce on 08/06/06 01:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I just bought my VW Beetle for my 120 mile round trip to work each day. It is already paying for itself. It provides great performance, fuel economy, and styling. The back seat is cramped but the front seats are very comfy. I got it with a 100,000 warranty, I will probably do that many miles in it in two years, and will then rate this vehicle again. So far, I love it! I plan to do 40,000 miles a year. This is the car for it.

Ugly is only skin deep
By Sue on 06/25/06 14:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is our fourth VW and third diesel VW. We wanted a new Golf TDI but couldn't find one with the feathures we needed. The Jetta was bigger than we needed and we weren't attracted to the New Beetle. On a whim we test drove the Beetle and we were hooked. It handles very well, is comfortable for the driver and passenger (we rarely have more than two of us), and started off getting 43 mpg. Although we bought this to commute the 1 1/2 hours to work, we find ourselves using this car for trips and general driving around. We love it.

The True Herbie
By MJ North Carolina on 06/24/06 11:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is the car I have been waiting for. It gets great gas mileage, a big car ride, and is so much fun to drive. I can go anywhere, do anything, and do it in style and luxury. I think the Japanese could learn a thing or two from the engineers at Wolfsburg in design and functionality.

What a great little car
By Ms. Shawn on 05/21/06 22:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This car is fun to drive, gets great gas mileage, and is easy to park. People should take a closer look at this little shuttle, they would fall in love with them also.

Two in the garage
By Bob Lykins on 03/27/06 19:53 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My wife and I can afford any type of car made, but we both bought new VW Beetle convertibles late last year, and we absolutely love them. I have a 2005 turbo, whereas my wife picked a 2006 2.5. The car is solid! It is amazingly quiet with the top up, and is extremely comfortable (I'm 6'3 and have more head and legroom than I did in my Toyota 4Runner!). We both get excellent gas mileage and we feel very safe on the interstates. I haven't had this much fun in a car since high school and college!

Great Car!
By John E. Semken, Jr. on 03/16/06 04:43 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have driven my Beetle to Orlando, FL. It is great fun to drive, very comfortable, and gets great mileage - 43 mpg. I have had several people comment on the beauty of my car. It has plenty of power.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.