2011 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: First Impression

2011 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automated Manual w/Sunroof)

First Impression
By vincevw329 on

2011 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Turned in my '08 Jetta for a '11 GTI 3 days ago. This is a 2 door model w/sunroof and auto trans. Noteworthy features are the easy to use bluetooth now in all new VWs I think, cloth trim (GTI fashion), and touchscreen radio. Even the base GTI has an impressive list of features like heated seats, all power controls, and leather trimmed appointments. Exterior design is slightly updated for 2011 with a new horizontal grill and separated duel exhaust pipes which gives the back end a squatter look. Inside I'm happy to say fit and finish is typical VW first rate. Quality materials put together well. Driving is wonderful, good road feel, excellent accelleration, and easy steering make it a blast!

This version of bluetooth really works great. I matched my Droid X with the car, then turned the car off, then on and my phonebook was uploaded and I was on my way making calls with the easy to read and intuitive in dash display. Driving my Jetta was a pleasure so driving the GTI is ecstasy. Firmer than the Jetta but still compliant enough not to be jarring. Steering feel is the best I've ever had but not so detailed to be distracting. Plenty of power from the 2.0T motor but definately have to get some higher revs before it comes alive. Guages and excellent and the trip computer are all very nice. The updated radio sounds great, sporting every input method on the planet I think.

I have to say the same thing here as my '08 Jetta; As nice as the interior is, the rearview mirror and sun visors/integrated mirrors are from a '70s Datsun! VWs sunroof control has a new knob that is worse than the old knob. The old raised knob "pointed" in a direction - to the right was tilted, striaght forward - closed, and to varying degrees to the left the glass was slid back. Now there resides a completly round knob that must be "read" to know that the glass is closed or not.