Used 1999 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Why Not To Buy A Sienna
By Very Unhappy Toyota

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

We have broken three passanger handles. We cannot get the vehicle to align we tried 3 times. We have been thru 3 sets of tires and three brake jobs. None of the above are covered by the extended warranty. (Never buy an extended warranty from Toyota) All work was done by dealer with exception of the last brake job was done by a shop that carries a lifetime warranty.

When I get out of the vehicle.

I dont see how they could improve a vehicle with so many problems. I only bought Toyota's until now.

It's Good and Bad of it
By BCCooper

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Good-comfortable ride, reliable, engine fairly quiet. Bad-front-end won't aligned-constant pull to the right; 4 sets of tires in 120,000 miles-can't locate or fix the problem; replacing the rear lights rear door panel costs $65 at the dealership-you cannot do it; paint peeling off door handles; poorly designed sliding door handles/buttons fail to open or stuck open where the door could be closed-cost $175 per handle; dashboard lights that highlight the AC/Heater dial are shorting (sometimes they re-light with a tap on the dash-most the time not).

Super reliable vehicle
By BruceK750

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Purchased new in 1999, now has 72000 miles. It has never been back at the dealer since we purchased it. I never thought I would like driving a mini- van, but this Sienna drives like a car. I really enjoy driving it. Excellent gas mileage on the highway- avg mileage in town.

usability/functionality/reliability.

Change the power door key fob button, as we always seem to be hitting the door open button when putting the keys in the pocket.

Don't Buy This Car!
By BurnedBeth

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

I have owned many cars in the past. My most important criteria in a car is reliability. My Sienna is 4.5 years old with 48k miles and I have to spend $1300 replacing all 6 fuel injectors - not covered by the 5 yr 60k warranty. Toyota does not stand by its products. I have never had to spend so much on any car - even those I had for 10 years! The first month we had the car the master cylinder for the ABS failed and left us with no brakes. There are so many vans to choose from - Don't choose a Toyota Sienna.

Good pick up and acceleration.

Stand behind the product. Manufacture a car that works.

Very Pleased in fifth year
By KAS

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought the Sienna in June 99 since the Honda Odessy's were back ordered 6 months and suggested premium fuel. At 54K miles I have not had anything more than some minor annoyances crop up, like intermittent emergency brake warning light on dash. Engine and transmission have been flawless and I get 20-22 mpg all around and 27 mpg on extended trips. Although I change my oil every 3-4K miles and normally use synthetic, I was glad to see Toyota recognize the oil sludge problem and extend the warranty. After reading reviews indication transmission problems at 70-80K miles, I am a little concerned and hope Toyota considers extending this warranty also.

Good power for a van and great at hauling a lot of stuff and weight. Very Safe, my wife was hit from behind by a large utility van. Repairs were $4,800, but wife didn't even get a sore neck.

A moderately expensive vehicle should come with better tires. The original Firestone Affinity tires ranked last of tires recently tested by Consumer Reports. At 52K miles, replaced them with less costly, but much better performing Faulken Z512s.