Prius C One - The ultimate Econo-box
By tk1971 on
2013 Toyota Prius c One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Most people see the C as a downgraded Prius. I see it as the ultimate Econo-box. Even in the basic trim (One) this car has built in bluetooth, turn signal indicators on the side mirrors, mp3/usb, a digital speedometer, and that 4" color screen chock full of information. Best part? 49-50mpg with A/C blasting in the summer and the heater blasting in the winter while driving it like a regular car (from stop & go to FWY speeds). Feels about the same as my previous car, a manual transmission Yaris Hatchback with a way more modern / techy feel and design. Price-wise, the cheapest C is comparable to the highest trims of the Yaris or Fit. Looking @ newspapers, I've seen the One advertised for ~$17k.
Favorite Features
Real world 49 - 50mpg w/ all the modern safety features (air bags everywhere, abs, tire pressure monitor, projection halogen headlights). Minimum maintenance. No belts/chains of any kind. Supposedly life-time fluids (tranny, brake, coolant, etc) and brake pads (due to the regenerative brakes), but I wouldn't go that far. Oil changes every 10k miles and tire rotation every 5k. Power steering and A/C are electric (no pumps, etc). Looking @ the regular Prius reliability track record (many used as taxis since 1997), the hybrid drive train should be very reliable. Long term, I would imagine suspension parts, CV boots, but that's with any fwd car.
Suggested Improvements
Don't expect to fit 5 full sized people in this car for more than a few miles, but then again, it's an Econo-box. It's more or less the same as my Yaris was, except this car has less maintenance and get's better mpg. Need more room? There's the regular Prius and the V Wagon for that. For those who think this car should be quieter, quicker, roomier, etc, all I have to say is that you're looking at the wrong car. On the One, they did cheap out to put two tweeters & speakers in the front and called it a 4 speaker system. No speakers in the back at all. Also, would it have broke the bank to put in a trunk light?