Used 2012 Toyota Prius c Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius c - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:

Power is just fine, my mileage below EPA
By chrispmorgan

2012 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Here's where my experience seems to differ from what you might expect: 1. Power (i.e. torque) is just fine. I'm a pretty aggressive driver and when I need to go 80 in metro traffic it gets the job done. I have a family member with a 3.0L BMW Z4 and I can't say I particularly miss the acceleration when I'm back in the "c". 2. I'm just out of the 2k mi break-in period but based on the computer and some validation from the gas pump I'm getting ~45mpg rather than the 50mpg the EPA says and the 60mpg the enthusiasts brag about. You *can* get 50mpg+ but it seems you'll need to really commit to the pulse and glide method (and obeying the highway speed limit) to get this.

Bluetooth for music Tray for smartphones Mileage (obviously) and enough feedback for obsessives to improve their performance Dimensions make it easy to park

Higher power USB to allow charging iPads Lithium ion batteries to allow longer EV mode cruising, better mileage; plug in option Fully flat fold-down back seats

I Love my Baby Prius
By gemo06

2012 Toyota Prius c Four 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my car back in Mach. I Received the first Prius C from the dealership because I had bough the car without ever seen it in person. I am very pleased and happy with the result. This car is so fun to drive. I am averaging 51 mpg. I drive about 50% city and 50% Highway. It is true that the car could use more horsepower but that is the price I paid for the mpg. This car was meant for city driving and it does decently in highway. I don't understand why people keep complaining about the car. The car is reliable and fun to drive. I am a happy customer but if people want a car with specific expectations, then they should really test drive as many car so they can make the right decision.

I love everything about the car. The extra option with the heated mirror, heated seats and sunroof and the wheels was a great for me.

I bough Prius C four with the extra options, I would have liked a back up camera.

A Comfortable and Nimble Gas Sipper
By wiscpriusc

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I spent close to a year looking for the best hatchback to meet my needs. The Prius C won out due to excellent efficiency and driving almost like an all-petrol car. I had driven both the Insight and the Prius Liftback, both were hard to see out of and hard to get moving. The Prius C moves a little quicker and has much improved outward visibility. The C has plenty of pep to get on the Interstate and is quick around town. Room for four adults on short trips, road trips best kept to three adults max. I have almost forgotten what going to the gas station is like, I average 50 mpg without any special driving techniques.

Exterior appearance, seat room, gas mileage, seamless hybrid transitions (engine/battery), nimbleness, bluetooth.

Driver seat angle adjuster, longer telescoping steering wheel, better visors, dome light over rear seats.

Great Commuter Car
By krebscycle

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Between a Prius C and a MINI, I ended up choosing the Prius, mainly because of the fuel economy, reliability, and cost. My other commuter car is a 1990 Honda Civic DX, also a small hatchbach, and my second commuter car for the household. Surprisingly, the Prius C engine is much louder when driving on the freeway in comparison to my 1990 Honda! You can tell the engine is working hard on the Prius to speed up, but you can still pass cars easily on the freeway if needed. The interior is spacious, and there is a nearly-hidden cup holder on the plastic compartment thing on the passenger door! I've never driven with a back-up cam and have no problems with the Prius C.

In comparison to the Ford Fiesta and Focus, the seats on the Prius C are heavenly! The ceiling of the interior cabin is comfortable for someone 6' tall. Beneath the armrest is a compartment, but if you look at the bottom of it, you'll see a notch to open up an even smaller compartment where you can stash something. The valet key is also nice because it prevents them from being able to open up the dashboard storage. Definitely read the manual cover to cover to get the best use out of all the little hidden features. Windshield wipers on the back window is also a huge plus. I don't bottom out over speed bumps and the tires are good on bumpy/potholed streets.

I wish there was an option for heated seats on all models and not just the Prius C model 4. I don't want all the fancy stuff on the 4 except the heated seats because it is cold in the mornings in Seattle 9 months out of the year. Maybe I missed it in the manual, but having a simple default screen displaying the outside temperature and the direction (N, W, S, E) you are driving would be nice.

A good city commuter
By fpm1

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our PC2 is our second Prius. Bought a 2002 Prius new. I like the 2002 more, even though the PC2's improved technology is nice. Our 2002 Prius feels more solid with more power. Its MPG improved to the mid-40s when Toyota replaced the hybrid battery at no cost. I bought the PC2 because I wanted a small hybrid to drive around Honolulu, not a full size Prius.

(1) Hybrid system's gas mileage. (2) Air conditioner operates independent of the gas engine, so I can sit in the car on a hot day with the gas engine running for only about a minute out of every 10 to charge the hybrid battery. (3) Bluetooth cell phone works well. (4) The eco-displays have influenced my driving habits for the better.

(1) Quality control the dash rattles. (2) Add more noise insulation.