Used 1998 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Mine may have been a lemon
By thecasualgamer

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Mine was actually a 4 speed auto, but manual was the only choice listed. I bought my Corolla in 2013, expecting it to be a cheap car that would be easy on gas, but it had problem after problem.It also had an oil burning problem. I learned a lot from this car though and it will hold value due to it being my first car ever. It was recently totaled and now I have an 02 Avalon. Here's to hoping that it'll be less problematic than the Corolla.

Favorite Features

Really? Favorite Features on a Corolla from the 90's? What a laugh...

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully by now they've fixed the oil burning issue, as I soon learned that it was a common problem on this generation.

Nothing ever goes wrong with this car.
By Jazz

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Seriously, I bought it new 12 years ago, it has about 90,000 miles on it, it's gotten all its regular maintenance, and nothing serious has ever gone wrong with it. The only thing that doesn't work is that the 2nd radio button sticks. The engine's a bit underpowered, but you will not find a more reliable car. Also, the Toyota vehicles that had issues with accelerators were all 1990 or later, so 1980 is a good year for used models. It's comfy. I have a bad lower back, and the lumbar support is fantastic! It actually makes my back feel better, which is great for long drives. Unbelievably good gas mileage. I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Great lumbar support, 100% dependable, great gas mileage. I love that it won't let me leave my lights on or lock my keys in my car. The outside temperature reading is so handy to see from the driver's seat when I drove a different car, I kept looking for it and was disappointed it wasn't there.

Suggested Improvements

The ashtray/cup holder arrangement is awkward. There's limited leg room in the back seats, but that's o.k. with me because it means lots more room in the trunk. The front storage compartment has weak hinges and you have to open and close it carefully.

PaZaZZ
By Outagas

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car new, excellent vehicle with great reliability. Best car we have ever owned, we will keep it for our grand kids and their kids. Car is getting to be a classic with excellent body lines, still looks like knew. The black flaked paint is awesome and people stop and ask about the color. Just a super car!

Favorite Features

Ride; reliability; great big city in town car; does well on the highway with excellent gas mileage; stereo; handling; basically everything.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic molding around the inside windows was a bad idea, peeled off; cup holders are not effective and poorly placed.

168,000 and still strong
By cladem

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new. My wife had it, then my daughter and now it's my turn with 168,000 miles on it. Still rides like new but gas tank lever is broken, hood latch sticks, and it uses about 1 qt of oil every 1100 miles. It is about the most reliable car we have ever had other than our Toyota RAV4.

Favorite Features

Gentle quiet ride and quite reliable.

Suggested Improvements

For some reason nearly everyone I know that owns a 98 or 99 Corolla starts using oil after about 90 thousand miles. No big deal but certainly is a negative.

RELIABLE!
By Oregonbeauty

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this as a previous leased vehicle with 39,900 miles. I now have 121,000 and mechanically have only replaced the battery & put pads on the brakes. The interior integrity has not been the best, but I can rely on it to run & get me where I want to go. Radio is on/off, replaced both front door handles(not cheap), but I totally would & will by another Toyota. My daughter is buying one in 2 days. She needs a reliable car. I get 28-32 MPG mixed. Replaced the battery & put pads on my brakes. Regular tune up at 110,000(first set of plugs) Love the car. Not the most comfortable, but it never lets me down.

Favorite Features

Steering is super!

Suggested Improvements

Toyota could improve the quality of door handles, cup holders, headliner.