1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

1998 Corolla Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Nothing ever goes wrong with this car.
By Jazz

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Seriously, I bought it new 12 years ago, it has about 90,000 miles on it, it's gotten all its regular maintenance, and nothing serious has ever gone wrong with it. The only thing that doesn't work is that the 2nd radio button sticks. The engine's a bit underpowered, but you will not find a more reliable car. Also, the Toyota vehicles that had issues with accelerators were all 1990 or later, so 1980 is a good year for used models. It's comfy. I have a bad lower back, and the lumbar support is fantastic! It actually makes my back feel better, which is great for long drives. Unbelievably good gas mileage. I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Great lumbar support, 100% dependable, great gas mileage. I love that it won't let me leave my lights on or lock my keys in my car. The outside temperature reading is so handy to see from the driver's seat when I drove a different car, I kept looking for it and was disappointed it wasn't there.

Suggested Improvements

The ashtray/cup holder arrangement is awkward. There's limited leg room in the back seats, but that's o.k. with me because it means lots more room in the trunk. The front storage compartment has weak hinges and you have to open and close it carefully.

PaZaZZ
By Outagas

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car new, excellent vehicle with great reliability. Best car we have ever owned, we will keep it for our grand kids and their kids. Car is getting to be a classic with excellent body lines, still looks like knew. The black flaked paint is awesome and people stop and ask about the color. Just a super car!

Favorite Features

Ride; reliability; great big city in town car; does well on the highway with excellent gas mileage; stereo; handling; basically everything.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic molding around the inside windows was a bad idea, peeled off; cup holders are not effective and poorly placed.

168,000 and still strong
By cladem

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new. My wife had it, then my daughter and now it's my turn with 168,000 miles on it. Still rides like new but gas tank lever is broken, hood latch sticks, and it uses about 1 qt of oil every 1100 miles. It is about the most reliable car we have ever had other than our Toyota RAV4.

Favorite Features

Gentle quiet ride and quite reliable.

Suggested Improvements

For some reason nearly everyone I know that owns a 98 or 99 Corolla starts using oil after about 90 thousand miles. No big deal but certainly is a negative.

RELIABLE!
By Oregonbeauty

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this as a previous leased vehicle with 39,900 miles. I now have 121,000 and mechanically have only replaced the battery & put pads on the brakes. The interior integrity has not been the best, but I can rely on it to run & get me where I want to go. Radio is on/off, replaced both front door handles(not cheap), but I totally would & will by another Toyota. My daughter is buying one in 2 days. She needs a reliable car. I get 28-32 MPG mixed. Replaced the battery & put pads on my brakes. Regular tune up at 110,000(first set of plugs) Love the car. Not the most comfortable, but it never lets me down.

Favorite Features

Steering is super!

Suggested Improvements

Toyota could improve the quality of door handles, cup holders, headliner.

Worst $2400 ever spent
By Jose

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from auction. Test drove it on street, engine and trans ran smooth except heard thump and saw steering wheel wiggle, probably just a balled tire. Wrong! Or maybe not? Drove it on the highway next day and car shook violently. I thought it would fall apart. I got 3 different mechanics' opinions and still thumping. Did an alignment, replaced 2 tires, replaced all 4 brakes, and replaced transmission for goodness sake! Spent $1072 in less than 3 weeks of buying car! Not to mention turn signal light in dash went out and steering wheel is disintegrating quickly. Paint and or plastic around inner door moldings disentegrating and lock for trunk fell sideways (don't ask!).

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage 27 mpg combined city/highway mileage. Easy to park. Nice shiny teal exterior paint.

Most reliable car
By oldetimer

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for eleven years and have had no major problems with it; in fact, very, very few minor problems. It's certainly not an exciting car to drive, but it is extremely reliable and just keeps going. It has averaged about 32-34 mpg. This is the best made car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

The best feature of this car has always been its reliability. In eleven years nothing major has gone wrong.

Suggested Improvements

The odometer and two trip odometers are LCDs; at times they are difficult to read-not enough brightness and contrast. This problem also exists with the digital clock.

OK car
By okie

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car is for small people but has perks like the gas mileage. I have a 70 mile commute every workday and only spend 20 dollars on gas every week. It has flaws but they are minimal for the price. Anyone looking for a car with good reliability for its price and doesnt care about cosmetic problems will love it

Favorite Features

MPG and AC are wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

Both doorhandles have broken off on the inside and one on the outside dome light went out but works if you bang on the ceiling the starter is going out but it still kinda has power and paint is fading.

keep it forever
By kevinm

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this LE model brand new. Since then it has been driven by 4 members of the family for a total of over 120,000 miles and runs as good as when we first bought it with no big repairs except the A/C. In fact, it still has the original exhaust system. We are in the very snowy Pocono Mountains in PA. It is only so-so in snow on the road that is over 3" without snowtires but I'd still recommend it to anybody. The only better vehicle I've driven is a Toyota RAV4.

Favorite Features

Interior is just right for an average or small person.

Suggested Improvements

Better performance in very snowy conditions on mountains.It handles fair at best.

As reliable as mom
By shar

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This corolla was more loyal than my dog, as sure as death and taxes to start up and run like a top. It never once stranded me. I feel stupid selling it, but it's getting embarassing to drive. It drinks a quart of oil every 2 weeks for the last year, but adding it is no big deal.

Favorite Features

She WILL get you to the south pole and back.

Suggested Improvements

Cigarette lighter interferes with the cup holder.

Great car for a new driver!
By Janet

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have had my 98 Toyota Corolla for 5 years now. I got it when I was 17 and it was the perfect first car. The compact size make the car easy to manuever. The strong braking has helped me avoid some near accidents. It's very easy to park, drive in the city. Believe it or not, it has good passing power. In 5 years I have never had anything serious go wrong ever. A few alignment issues, and now my AC/heat is acting up (at 95,000 miles). It's a comfortable ride even on long trips. The back seat space is a little tight, however. I would recommend this car highly for reliability and excellent gas mileage. 8 solid hours of highway driving before a tank refill.

Favorite Features

Comfort, feeling in control, not intimidating, excellent gas mileage, very few problems with performance, heats up fast in the winter, automatic low level lights, it seems to be able to handle some pretty heavy abuse (I travel a lot).

Suggested Improvements

Hydroplanes no matter how lightly you tap the gas when it is raining/snowing. Slow acceleration (be careful stopping at a yield if you have to pick up to a speed above 40 quickly). The cup holders don't seem to hold any cups (bad positioning/size)! Rattles in the cold.