Worthy of the SE (Sports Edition) name
By JimBob Seeker on
2009 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
My driving experience spans more than 35 years. I have always wanted a sports car but the pragmatist in me could never justify it. I have owned economy cars, mini-vans and family sedans but never a car with a performance flavor until now. I purchased a used '09 Camry SE with 20Km on the odometer several months ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could have my cake and eat it too. This vehicle carries 4 adults in comfort, provides very good fuel economy, handles superbly, has decent acceleration, feels right at home on the freeway, looks like a sports car and has a very likable personality. Overall, I am very pleased with the car. I would definitely buy another.
Favorite Features
The 5-speed automatic transmission and the 2.4 L are well mated providing smooth acceleration, responsive down- shifts and excellent manners at highway speeds. The suspension and chassis yield a sure- footed feel when cornering and driving on the freeway. The brakes are excellent.
Suggested Improvements
The front air dam is a little low and prone to hit high curbs. Perhaps this could be raised a few inches. So far the only quality issue I have found is the seal around the driver's window was not installed properly.
By jimbob_seeker
on 09/04/13 19:05 PM (PDT)

JimBob here again. with over 50,000 miles on the odometer, the Camry has held up quite well. Aside from regular oil changes and replacing the spark plugs recently, no work has been required in the past two years. On warm/hot summer days I have noticed mild and brief pinging when accelerating lightly. The owners manual states that light pinging that does not last long is not a problem. Overall, I and still very pleased with the Camry.

By jimbob_seeker
on 05/02/11 16:49 PM (PDT)

This is JimBob adding another comment to my own 09/05/10 review. I finally got around to actually checking the gas mileage instead of estimating. On an trip length of about 200 miles (320Km) that was comprised of 90% highway and 10% city driving I averaged 30 miles per US gallon (about 7.8 Litres/100Km or 36 miles per imperial gallon). I was carrying 2 passengers for a total of three adults averaging about 150lbs each. The trunk had luggage for two day trip and I drove at about 75mph (120Km/hr) most of the time when I was on the highway. The car came equipped with Michelin Energy MXV4, 215/55SR17 tires. I am very pleased with these tires. The tires have about 25,000miles (40,000Km) on them and I see no sign of premature wear.

By jimbob_seeker
on 03/06/11 10:14 AM (PST)

This is JimBob commenting on my own 09/05/10 review. I've owned the '09 Camry for about 7 months now and added 15,000 Km to the odometer. I stand by all my previous comments about the vehicle. There ony a few things that I would like to add 1) The SE's ride is quite firm. If you prefer a soft cushy ride you should try the LE or some other vehicle as the ride does get a little harsh on rough, broken or uneven city streets. This has not been a problem for me however. 2) I am now even more appreciative of the SE's freeway manners and fuel efficiency. On the freeway, the ride is smooth, quiet and very stable in cross winds. Most of my driving is done on the freeway. 3) The stereo is very good. I recall a reviewer complaining about a muddy sound from the speakers. Yes, the bass response can be quite heavy but it is very simple to turn it (bass) down. 4) The seats are firm, supportive and much to my liking especially for those long 5-6hour trips. Apart from having the driver's window seal repaired under warranty, no other work was needed or done. I will post a follow up comment in another 6 - 8 months.