Used 2009 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Year 1 Review... Not that satisfied
By Byron K

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my car for 1 year this month. During the first year the dealer replaced my shocks because they were going bad. I was told this is happening to cars in cold areas. My car makes various noises depending on the time of year. I hear a squeak/crackling noise coming from the radio in the winter/fall, but not when it's warm. The car actually makes noises like a house settling. The radio periodically goes from Auxiliary to the FM radio for no reason. I have driven Chevy's and Ford's that seem to be built better than this car. Now I will either trade it in and lose the 1 year of payments put into it or keep it and hope the engine proves to be as reliable as everyone else thinks.

Exterior, features for the money, gas mileage.

Quality of interior, random noises at various times of the year.

Smooth & Powerful-Wish I bought an SE
By Paul3637

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

At 36 mpg real world highway mpg, this rivals or exceeds the underpowered 2.4L I4 or the hybrid. At 12,500 miles and 18 months I brought my car to the dealer for its third oil change yesterday - have had zero defects, zero repairs. zero oil consumption... but dealer confirmed that like all pre April 2008 build 3.5L V6 Toyotas it has a rubber vvti oil line that can rupture resulting in engine failure. No TSB or recall yet - dealer acknowledged problem but wants $250 to fix with new metal line. Bidgestone 16" tires were about over half worn at 8K miles so replaced the el cheapo tires & hubcaps with 215/55/17 SE style alloys & Michelins which improved handling. Seats are very comfortable. In retrospect, I would pay the extra $1200 for the SE package for nicer interior and 17" alloy wheels.

Smooth powerful drivetrain, great fuel economy, quiet ride with almost no wind or road noise. Great value - paid less for my 09 LEV6 than I paid for my 1997 LEV6 - in part because options like ignition interlock and power seats are now standard - and when gas was $4/gallon I got $3K off sticker.

1) 17 inch wheels should be standard 2) Eliminate cheap Bridgestone tires 3) Dashboard is fine but the rest of the dishwater grey interior looks like it was designed to look cheap.

Uncomfortable driver's seat
By arlene

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am 5'2'' and I am sick that my new car has such an uncomfortable drivers seat. I never had a back problem and I do now. I bought the car for comfort for long drives, and now even in the car for 30 mins., my back is in pain. I am hoping Toyota has some sort of a cushion to rectify this very serious defect in a brand new car. The new 2009 design is the most uncomfortable seat I have EVER driven in, and I have been driving for 36 years in a lot cheaper cars in the past.

It drives very smoothly, therefore tricking me into thinking the seats would be a good design also.

Change the seats to fit smaller people, the new 2009 design is the most uncomfortable seat I have EVER driven in, and I have been driving for 36 years in a lot cheaper cars in the past.

All-around great car
By Dennis

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my LE for just over 12 months. I've read several comments on the lack of comfort of the drivers seat. I have not experienced any such discomfort and I have painful arthritis in my lower back. There are several useful adjustments on the power seat. Also, I've experienced no transmission issues as others have noted. Plain interior? Well, it's a Camry LE for crying out loud. You want leather? Get the XLE. I'd buy another LE in a hot second. Great car.

Quietness, Expected reliability

Collapsing side mirrors

Great Car; Worst Seats Ever
By ALC

2009 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is a wonderful automobile, especially for the price. We find the ride relatively smooth and quiet; wonderful on trips (36 MPG w/AC). Unfortunately, after 60 minutes, one finds that Toyota has designed the WORST front car seats ever placed in an automobile; your back and bottom will suffer! We are so upset, I am shopping after 18K miles. In prior vehicles, I have driven for days for over 12 hours per; not in this car. Two of my relatives, who have never had back pain, now have problems when they drive their Camry (same yr). In today’s market, this is inexcusable. I would gladly provide Toyota with a design solution, if they cared.

Looks, mileage, smooth ride, quietness, construction quality.

REPLACE THE HORRIBLE SEATS! I would never recommend this car solely based upon the poor front seats. Other family members with same car have common complaint. It almost appears Toyota developed a seat for another human configuration! Can cars be recalled due to increasing health care costs?