2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/Power Hard Top Consumer Review - I want to like this

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

Grand Touring Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/Power Hard Top)

I want to like this car, but
By wonky on

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I really want to like this car, but I don't. Interior design is poor: window switches in a bad spot & centre console won't hold anything by design. The door cupholder bangs knees, the centre ones make centre console useless and prevents shifting properly! Seatbelt connect height is not adjustable. No spare tire means this is a suburbanite-with-a-cellphone ride. Can't go anywhere interesting without a usable spare and MAZDA is NOT helpful! Also, the Bose stereo is awful. Speakers rattle and vibrate. No aux jack. When Mazda tells you Mp3 compatible, they mean you can play a disc in Mp3 format. Even Hyundai has this stuff figured out. Mazda doesn't care, they don't have to.

Favorite Features

PRHT is fun but the novelty wears off quickly. Car must be in neutral for duration of state change--at least 12 seconds, which is often impractical at stoplights. Fun to drive when the aggravating design errors aren't glaring.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the lame interior engineering; there is a reason for the "barbie car" reputation. All cute, no brains. No spare means no interesting road trips. No support from Mazda on this aggravation means this is my last Mazda. I'll spend about $2000 to fix these flaws with non-OEM parts or trade it in.